The WTS's "Almighty God" is not so Almighty

by bob1999 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bob1999
    bob1999

WT 1981

"Actually, by teaching that God is omnipresent Christendom has confused matters and made it more difficult for God to be real to his worshipers. How could God be present everywhere at the same time? God is a spirit Person, which means that he does not have a material body, but a spiritual one. A spirit has a body? Yes, for we read, “If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual one.” (1 Cor. 15:44; John 4:24) God being an individual, a Person with a spirit body, has a place where he resides, and so he could not be at any other place at the same time. "

So how can an almighty God be limited?

The God of the Bible is not limited in any way.

The WTS has it all wrong.

Shame.

Peace

• sacolton
    sacolton

See, they really can't grasp the concept of "GOD" ... they seem to think He has limits. It's really sad.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Wow!

I had no idea they thought that God could only be in one place at one time! O.o I'm always amazed at how little I actually knew of what the witnesses believed while I was a member. Even though I grew up in 'da troof' from the time I was 3 years old until I left at about age 40. I know way more about the doctrine now that I did at the time I was in it. Thanks for posting that info bob! I guess that explains why they thought for quite some time that he was able to live in the Pleides :) Crazy stuff that.

BW

• Satanus
    Satanus

Wt god does not reside in the physical universe - aid book pg 732

"heavens are also applied to the spiritual
    heavens. As has been seen, Jehovah God does not
    reside in the physical heavens, being a Spirit ."

The same page says that wt god lives in the 'spiritual heavens'. It says that the spiritual heavens are even further away, outside of the universe, outside the physical heavens. Kinds make ya feel all empty inside, and sorry for the dubs, whose god is so infinitely far away from them.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

It goes on,

"His throne
    is in the heavens, that is, in the spirit realm over
    which he also rules. (Ps. 103 :19-21 ; 2 Chron. 20 :6 ;
    Matt . 23 :22 ; Acts 7 :49) From his supreme or ultimate
    position, Jehovah, in effect, `looks down' upon the
    physical heavens and earth (Ps . 14 :2 ; 102 :19 ; 113 :6),
    and from this lofty position also speaks, answers
    petitions and renders judgment."

S

• sacolton
    sacolton
    From his supreme or ultimate
    position, Jehovah, in effect, `looks down' upon the
    physical heavens and earth (Ps . 14 :2 ; 102 :19 ; 113 :6),
    and from this lofty position also speaks, answers
    petitions and renders judgment."

Kinda describes the lofty position of the Governing Body that "looks down" upon the rank and file and speaks, answers petitions and renders judgment. Interesting.

• Gopher
    Gopher

From 1881 until 1953 the Watchtower believed that Jehovah resided at the center of the universe on the star Alcyone in the cluster known as Pleiades.

Reconciliation 1928 p14

The constellation of the seven stars forming the Pleiades appears to be the crowning center around which the known systems of the planets revolve even as our sun's planets obey the sun and travel in their respective orbits. It has been suggested, and with much weight, that one of the stars of that group is the dwelling-place of Jehovah and the place of the highest heavens;..

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/god_s_throne_-_pleiades.html

• Borgia
    Borgia
    and with much weight

And the TF suggested with much weight? My guess: Joe the Boozer?

Cheers

Borgia

• VM44
    VM44
    "God being an individual, a Person with a spirit body, has a place where he resides, and so he could not be at any other place at the same time. "

How does The Watchtower writer know this? He is relying on his prior experience with "persons" and "bodies" to make this conclusion.

In Quantum Physics there are instances where an individual electron behaves as if it is in two places at the same time, so couldn't God also be able to do the same but on a grander scale?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

God is old..It`s hard for him to get around..He has to take the Bus to go anywhere.............................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit