Successful JW/Non-JW Relationships... How do you make it work?

by cognac 26 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Outlaw...whenever my husband says something particularly bigoted or stupid, I tell him I follow the bible, not men. I let him fill in the blanks, then ask him if his tie is too tight?

Mary Stewart - I am sure there are women who can be cold and hard through a divorce, but my answer comes from twenty years' experience in the single parent community. I learned to appreciate the pain on both sides of the fence. I am making a generalization of course, but most of the time the woman is trying to work out the relationship, while he is busy taking care of the bank accounts.

It has to do how the sexes grieve. It is also very common for the man to lash out in bad behavior, while she tends to gather her girlfriends around her and have a good cry. I've seen many men take a financial dive - not so much from the divorce settlement - but because his performance at work drops or he even gets fired. I think some men fail to appreciate, until it happens, the terrible loss of his role as husband and father. For some men, it's a loss that deprives them of ambition and drive. A double financial whammy.

Or more properly one might say that the one doing the leaving is prepared, and the one being left is not. The catch-up time is where the prepared spouse can take advantage.

For Tiffy, it sounds like both have been ready for some time. He just happens to have lined things up to convince her she has no rights. As his kids are grown, he won't face the same emotional loss that fathers do. On the other hand, he may be underestimating the advantage of having a partner around to watch over his health. Statistically, married men live longer.

• llbh
    llbh

Dear Cognac,

I, like many here, are in a similar position, we both tried for a long time, but sadly we are now divorcing.

Being married to a J W can be hard work as the wts does expect an awful lot of commitment from its followers.

I left about 10 years ago, and when i left alot of things we had in common went too, If you have things in common you may be able to make it work.

The trick is to find out what you enjoy and have, and do them together if possible.

The wts does seem to be very intolerant of former followers. as you seem to be aware, and therein can be cause of some of the problems.

If you still love each other, things will have a much greater chance of working out.

Wishing you well

Regards David

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Tiffy, Tiffy, TIFFY!!!

Please please PLEASE go talk to a lawyer! Live with NO REGRETS. You do not want to regret this... he is treating you completely unfairly and you deserve better... much better. Please talk to someone who can run with this. There are those who will make arrangements for you to pay them after you get the settlement, that sounds like it would work for you.

Yes, I know it hurts, yes, I know you just want out, but you deserve enough of a monetary cushion to get you started comfortably in your new life.

All the best to you...
    Love,
    Baba.

• caliber
    caliber

If anyone knows a sure , fool proof answer to this question I think I know how you could make a

million dollar best seller book !

Caliber

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

1. I had to stop trying to make him change his beliefs.

2. Established the fact that he had to stop trying to change my viewpoint also. If I felt like talking about something, he should respect my opinion whether or not it differs from his. However, there is no need to make him aware of my anti-JW views constantly.

3. Really, just brought religion out of our conversations for the most part. Established many common interests in other things.

4. When it comes to holidays, we simply have seasonal gatherings. If our gatherings happen to fall on a holiday out of convenience, then so be it. I will have treasure hunts with gifts during our winter festivals for example.

1. I will never totally stop trying to help my wife, but along with no. 1, I don't try to
    change her beliefs. I simply have a goal to unconditionally love her and always
    encourage her to think for herself. I commend independent thinking without using
    that term. I point out things in the news or in our lives where people are misled or
    do a good job of doing something right or a bad job of doing something wrong.

2. My wife doesn't try to change my viewpoint. It's probably a fact that she knows she
    would not win a debate of logic or reason with me. We don't really discuss JW stuff
    together. It is kind of like an 800-lb gorilla in the room, but it's on a diet. Eventually,
    it will be a squirrel-monkey in the room.

3. We focus on things we like. We vacation together. We live like constant honeymooners
    in many respects. We never had kids, so it's not a subject to argue over.

4. I have lost out a bit on holidays. There's no celebrations in our house, but I am
    finding myself meeting up with my non-JW family more often.

My wife and I had a strong marriage. We want to work it out. She's got no desire to lose me
    by informing the elders of any activity I am involved in. That could be a deal-breaker. I have,
    accompanied her on travel to attend the DC, but I don't go in the door. One area that's still
    sore for me is money. I hate her donating or being kind to "the friends" who never reciprocate.
    (Some do, so that's okay. Many don't.) But I recognize that my wife is a giving person. She
    has always given gifts to family and friends. You know how some say they don't need a special
    day to remember their mother or to exchange gifts? Well, my wife really means it. So I have
    accepted her as she is on that. I cannot try to change her. I don't know how much she donates
    at the hall or at the DC, but it comes out of money that she is free to spend, so I let it go.

• cognac
    cognac

1. I will never totally stop trying to help my wife, but along with no. 1, I don't try to
    change her beliefs. I simply have a goal to unconditionally love her and always
    encourage her to think for herself. I commend independent thinking without using
    that term. I point out things in the news or in our lives where people are misled or
    do a good job of doing something right or a bad job of doing something wrong.

2. My wife doesn't try to change my viewpoint. It's probably a fact that she knows she
    would not win a debate of logic or reason with me. We don't really discuss JW stuff
    together. It is kind of like an 800-lb gorilla in the room, but it's on a diet. Eventually,
    it will be a squirrel-monkey in the room.

3. We focus on things we like. We vacation together. We live like constant honeymooners
    in many respects. We never had kids, so it's not a subject to argue over.

4. I have lost out a bit on holidays. There's no celebrations in our house, but I am
    finding myself meeting up with my non-JW family more often.

My wife and I had a strong marriage. We want to work it out. She's got no desire to lose me
    by informing the elders of any activity I am involved in. That could be a deal-breaker. I have,
    accompanied her on travel to attend the DC, but I don't go in the door. One area that's still
    sore for me is money. I hate her donating or being kind to "the friends" who never reciprocate.
    (Some do, so that's okay. Many don't.) But I recognize that my wife is a giving person. She
    has always given gifts to family and friends. You know how some say they don't need a special
    day to remember their mother or to exchange gifts? Well, my wife really means it. So I have
    accepted her as she is on that. I cannot try to change her. I don't know how much she donates
    at the hall or at the DC, but it comes out of money that she is free to spend, so I let it go.

Awww, that's sweet OTWO. Yeah, the money thing would hit a bit of a nerve with me also...

• jam
    jam

Never, never disrespect one another. We never use the word

stupid. Once you start ," that was a dumb remark are you

nuts". Before long you will be saying, boy you are so dumb...

She give me total respect and I the same...

Plus it hurt me to my heart when I make her sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit