Is going to the worldly funeral conscience mattter? (According to the WT)

by asilentone 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caliber
    caliber

I've finally come to the conclusion after many years that if you have to consult a WT. to decide

what YOUR conscience thinks..... it's not your conscience at all !

Caliber

• blondie
    blondie

Actually the WTS has it both ways. But in the end it is the "consciences" of others under the guise of "stumbling" that matters. Many elders will say "someone said they will be stumbled" but will not give you the name of that person, if they even exist. Matthew 18 does not even come into play.

• caliber
    caliber

That thing about churches is one thing I had an issue with.. I once as an active JW was sent to a panic

situation where India ink had been spilled on a carpet (I was a professional carpet cleaner) ( this is a time sensitive

situation with India ink) . Anyway I was seen working in a church by someone .... the whole issue of church

contract work came up.. I told them looking this was a one time emergency situation.. I didn't even know it

was a church til I got there... too late to back out ! This whole thing about conscience of others came up.

I reached a boiling point, pointing out that just a while ago an elder attend a church service (funeral )

because a relative with money wrote in his will that to obtain willed money he must be present at the service !

I told them I call that a bribe.. if you only attend to obtain the money ! I was only in church doing my job

they told me the elder was not there to worship.. either was I... I said.. the whole situation makes me think

of a word that starts with H.... and it's not the word honor !

Caliber

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Caliber, can't you see that the fact that you probably spent a moment or two on your KNEES in a CHURCH may have given the APPEARANCE that you were worshiping in it?

HOW DO YOU THINK THAT LOOKS???!!!

You obviously didn't read the literature to find out what your bible based conscience thinks about such things!

• caliber
    caliber

JWdaughter,

You are soooo right appearance is everything..! I must confess I was on my knees in a church ..you got me !

Let the judical meeting proceed !!!!!!!!!!

Caliber

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    So, in summary - if you're faithful, then you will not be going.

Exactly. When my grandmother died, I was the only JW family member that went to be with my non-JW father. The rest of my JW family and relatives waited outside of the church. Same thing when other non-JW relatives died even if they were directly related to them. I guess they were afraid they were going to catch a demon or something.

Same thing goes for weddings. I've had non-JW cousins get married. The JWs may stop by the house the night before but usually everyone just show up at the reception because attending the ceremony in the church is not the actions of a 'true' JW.

Maybe it varies by region. I know some witnesses that will not even attend a wedding ceremony even if its not in a church. They usually wait outside and go in after the service in time for the reception.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I've been a JW since 1972 and have seen a lot high handed practices. However, with regard to attending a funeral of a relative in a Church I've only seen reasonableness. In my previous comment I mentioned my son in law who was a MS at the time, well he not only attended but was a pall bearer. He experienced no repercussions and is now an Elder.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer
    That thing about churches is one thing I had an issue with.. I once as an active JW was sent to a panic

situation where India ink had been spilled on a carpet (I was a professional carpet cleaner) ( this is a time sensitive

situation with India ink) . Anyway I was seen working in a church by someone .... the whole issue of church

contract work came up.. I told them looking this was a one time emergency situation.. I didn't even know it

was a church til I got there... too late to back out ! This whole thing about conscience of others came up.

I reached a boiling point, pointing out that just a while ago an elder attend a church service (funeral )

because a relative with money wrote in his will that to obtain willed money he must be present at the service !

I told them I call that a bribe.. if you only attend to obtain the money ! I was only in church doing my job

they told me the elder was not there to worship.. either was I... I said.. the whole situation makes me think

of a word that starts with H.... and it's not the word honor !

Caliber

Reading your post reminded me of how my mother-in-law's Will was worded. It stated that her daughter (my wife) was to see to it that the grandchildren were to receive essentially everything (which was mainly in the form of stocks). It poignantly stated that the only thing that her daughter was to receive was the residue of a $5,000.00 checking account after $1,000.00 gift to the American Legion Building Fund was made, and that her daughter was to write out the check. It stated that if her daughter failed to carry out the instructions in the Will that my wife was to receive absolutely nothing. What a bitch I had for a "mother-in-law"!

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Everything is a conscience matter.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    Everything is a conscience matter.

If only that were true in the org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit