The Reasoning Book is Inspired

by Thirdson 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Think of the dilema facing those women. They could either sift through the jumbled mess that is the Watchtowers explanation of 1914 (and possibly realize how stupid it is when they are done, not to mention embarrass themselves trying to do it), or they could simply state that the information comes directly from God.

They want to believe it's the truth, therefore they make every excuse and reason to believe it as such.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

She just looked at me like I was a two headed monster and didn't speak to me the rest of the morning for making her "look stupid". For which I thought, well.......... if you actually are stupid, its not hard to make you look that way is it?

Anyway, she never worked with me again in service.

Lol nice.

I remember the ninja moves this one "brother" used to pull with me in service. We had this RV who was a real christian and really knew his stuff, and he'd always make fools of us becuase he wouldn't allow us to use any WT trash - only the Bible. Anyways, the "brother" got his bible bound with the Reasoning book in the back, and I knew my doctrine pretty well and could think on my feet, so I'd talk to the householder and engage him while the "brother" looked up the topic under discussion in his Reasoning book! Even though the househoulder always specifically told us when we showed up that he "only wanted to hear about the Bible."

So stupid, so petty. I don't engage householders anymore when I am forced into field circus, I can't sit there and defend an indefensible belief system. I just offer ragazines and get the hell out of there ASAP and never come back.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Nice fake story by Thirdson.

Blondie wrote, "I have known jws to have the reasoning book bookbound with the NWT to give the impression that it is part of their bible."

No, they haven't. They have done it because it makes it easier to handle one book than two. So stop pretending.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    back in the 60's, many JW's really could stand toe-to-toe and debate for half-an-hour or more with almost any Christian householder. They relished it.
    These JW's who came to your door sound like they gave up after about 2 minutes, saying they had to get going

thats because JW's dont believe in anything anymore. People used to be converted by doctrine and Freddie would actually explain teachings of "christendom" to discount them by twisting scriputures. Now they are converted through love bombing and social manipulation. They are told, "where else is there? If evolution is real, then you will die and thats it? You dont want to believe that do you?"

She just looked at me like I was a two headed monster and didn't speak to me the rest of the morning for making her "look stupid". For which I thought, well.......... if you actually are stupid, its not hard to make you look that way is it?

i once asked a 14 year old kid who was raised a JW what happens when you die. He said you go to heaven and become an angel. Can you imagine?? A JW going to meetings for 14 years and never ever hearing one word! YES! I can imagine! Because JW's dont believe anything. They just keep going to meetings and peddling mags and get their doggie-treat pat on the back from the elders. "your such a good boy! Yes you are! Daddy (Jehovah) loves you!"

I don't engage householders anymore when I am forced into field circus, I can't sit there and defend an indefensible belief system. I just offer ragazines and get the hell out of there ASAP and never come back.

so true. The irony is now that our eyes are opened we COULD actually spin this crap to almost sound believable, more so than any glossy-eyed deer-in-the-lights JW ever could.
    Even worse though??? I may get my ass dragged out in FS this weekend for the "tract campaign"! At least I heard its supposed to rain and maybe we can just go straight out for breakfast after the group!

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

No, they haven't. They have done it because it makes it easier to handle one book than two. So stop pretending.

No. It's done in the interest of discretion, or "ninja moves" as I prefer to call it. See my post.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Stop farting out of your dirty cheesecloth OLDHIPPIE

• blondie
    blondie

OH, I am not "pretending." It was by observation and direction from elders and COs over the last 40 years. Perhaps things are different in your country. It is deceptive because at no time is the HH told that this is a separate book published by the WTS. I was even told that the most important book to have in my bookbag was the reasoning book, even more than the Bible (after all the RS book is "all" scriptures, right?)

• halcyon
    halcyon

well it depends on the definition of "inspired."

There's "God will kill you if you don't believe that he breathed the words of the bible into people's ears" inspired, and then there's "Really Good Men Who God Loves figured these things out because God Loves Them Most Special, and so even though they're 'just men' who God doesn't yet trust with the absolute truth (I guess they have to kinda 'grow up' first before God gives them ALL truth, or something), God made them smarter than us because they were able to figure out things we can't really even understand properly, which proves that God Loves Them Most Special and we should believe what they say" inspired.

Remember, every word has a double meaning in JW. Its dictionary definition, and its ethereal definition.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

All,

Thanks for the comments. In the past week I have had time to reflect on the discussion and the comments here. In my opinion, JWs are no longer (if they ever were) students of the Bible. They are told what to say in the KM, and how to handle questions by referring to the Reasoning book. In my experience few JWs read the books and magazines they distribute to the public and will not look at other sources to check what their publications teach.

When confronted with a challenge to the statement made in the reasoning book that it was historically untrue and unsupported by other sources they were at a loss. They were at a loss when told some of the real history of their own religion. As a result, without any foundation to fall back on they have to claim that their book is 'inspired' because they have to believe it is the truth because their books tell them they have the truth. I would give them them some slack and let them claim that their organization leaders are 'spirit directed' but really it is just semantics. The WTS wants to claim God's guidance as in only they have a channel of divine communication but still allow for making numerous errors. But in effect they are saying, "we are not always right but we are never wrong."

The point I never reached in the conversation was that of relying more on a book interpreting a view of the Bible than the Bible itself. I don't believe the 2 ladies that called on me had real faith in God or the Bible but in a religious system that provides a coded set of beliefs and rules to live by. That make JWs a cult. We didn't even get to discussing the un-scriptural and dangerous teachings of JWs where members will willingly give up their lives or the lives of loved ones because their organization has declared in little books what portions of blood they can or cannot transfuse.

Finally, the last time I spoke to JWs was about 8 years ago when I questioned two ladies at the Minneapolis/St Paul International airport who were manning an information desk. At this rate my next opportunity will be in 2016. I'll will relish the chance to talk about the hundredth anniversary of the return of Christ.

3rd.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Well done. You gave them something to think about alright. Although your jump from 1874 to 1844 may have confused them a bit. And they probably just meant 'inspired' to mean 'have the holy spirit' (anointed).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit