Do the beliefs of JW's actually improve the quality of their lives?

by gaiagirl 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

Oh! The guilt-trip they'll lay on you!

"Don't you love Jehovah?"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Sacolton: The indoctrination forces all JWs to believe they are happy. Simple fact is the organization doesn't want to know if you are unhappy. If they say you're happy then, dang it, YOU'RE HAPPY!
    WTWizard: You are told to look and act happy when you are not.

I have to agree with the above, along with the rest of what WTWizard says and many other great
    comments here.

Many JW's are able to deceive even themselves.
    "The Watchtower says we are joyously proclaiming the good news. The Watchtower says we
    are more content with our simple eyes (less stuff) because we have the hope of full satisfaction
    in the new system. We have the privilege of working for Jehovah. With all that, I should be
    happier to do the preaching work. I will smile and be content and be happy. I have the highest
    purpose in life, so if I am not happy, something is wrong with my faith. I will deny all unhappiness."

• Open mind
    Open mind

The belief that everything's going to be OK and Jehovah is going to fix all the world's problems very soon is appealing and soothing on the surface. They just tell themselves that somehow he's not really going to kill 6 billion people. Also, they don't stare too long and hard at all the suffering that the Great Problem Fixer continues to allow.

The few JWs that I know who SEEM to be fairly well-adjusted and happy have gotten to that place by tip-toeing through an ethical/theological mine field of rationalizations and compartmentilization.

That describes me a couple of years ago.

om

• sir82
    sir82

For some JWs - yes.

For some JWs, they have left behind a world which was hopeless for them. At least some of the WT experiences of ex-drug-addicts, ex-axe-murderers, ex-prostitutes, etc. studying with JWs and improving their lot in life are true.

That's not to say they couldn't have had similar improvement in their lives via some other means - but it happened to be that JWs got to them first, they were ready to make a change, and the JW message was appealing enough to make a difference to them.

Most JWs do not recognize that their hope, their purpose in life, is based on lies & deception. Having a hope and a purpose in life goes a long way to making one's life better.

The real question is: Are some JWs better off with some sort of hope, even a false hope? Is it better to be a hopeless heroin addict, willing to kill for a next fix, or a cleaned up guy with a hope & purpose (albeit a false one)? I'll open myself up to flaming and say yes.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK You've switched the question

Do the beliefs of JW's actually improve the quality of their lives?

and

Do the beliefs common to JW's cause them to have a happier worldview and a better outlook on life? These are very different. Do the beliefs of JW's actually improve the quality of their lives? "Improve their quality of life" that depends on how you determine "quality of life" The JW would most likely respond that of course their quality of life is improved. They don't have to worry about STDs, their spouses being alcohilis, drug addicts, wife or child abusers. Most of the worries of the world do not affect them. Heck even as the world now worries about the economic problems of the world JWs can look happily to this "sign of the end" being proof they are on the right track. xJWs would easily see through the error of this kind of thinking. While being a JW might decrease the risks of any of the above, it is no guarantee. In reality their lifestyle is just as busy as most workaholics in the real world. They suffer from most of the stress related illnesses as anyone else. Their lives both inside the hall and outside are conroled by the unseen GB who continually urges them to do more, more, more. Few are well enough educated to employment that provides a safety net if they lose theor jobs or health. In the US I can't imagine being a JW with no money to pay for medical care - most of which is stress-related to be a JW. Now your second question: Do the beliefs common to JW's cause them to have a happier worldview and a better outlook on life? "happier worldview" Hmmmm they rejoice in the suffering of non-JWs. Every world event is seen as proof the end is near. They have been taught to be thrilled that all those gruesome pictures in WT books are about to be come real right before their eyes. "better outlook on life" I don't know. Better? They have been taught that only non-JWs are a threat to them. So they blindly leave their children in the care of others who may be one of the hidden pedophiles. The elders know who they are but they sure don't warn anyone else. Every aspect of their lives are controlled, what they wear, eat, where they go and what they do there, especially in public where they might be seen by others, What they do in their places of employment and what they do in their bedrooms. Everything is controlled. I can't see how that is "better" then having and useing the brains we were given to make lives that are better.

• lnunya
    lnunya

No. I completely agree with what others have wrote so meticulously. This religious sect utterly destroys families and basic human expression. The progressive method of indoctrination embeds learned helplessness and produces a system of bondage so evil that, for the most part, people are powerless to escape. The tentacles are so invasive that even for most of those that have left, it continues to influence their lives extensively. The WT sect is the epitome of satanic manipulation and only serves to keep its adherents in complete darkness.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

lnunya,

You've said it very well. I agree with your whole post. For those of us that were raised from birth it is almost impossible to completely escape the depression and the feelings of worthlessness that this cult leaves us with.It permeates every thought and attitude.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Ignorance is bliss. JW tend to believe that they will survive the great A, which is always imminent, and that they have the solution to most of life's problems. A person who believes they have that solution without carefully examining the teachings may be truly unaware that this is all built on falsehood.

On the other hand, the burden placed on them by the WTS is too great a stressor and many times it robs them of life's simple joys, such as gathering with family without restrictions or associating with neighbors and people at work. Add to that the treadmill of activity, and the constant pressure to do more, then you have one very tired, unhappy, socially inept person who fools himself into believing that JW's are the happiest people on earth. Smile

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

YES

They have to be happy. The Watchtower Organization tells them they have to be happy. If they are not happy, they must not have Jehovah's spirit so they have to pray more, go to meetings more and go out in service more then they will be happy and have a better quality of life. If they still don't have a better quality of life, they will then say they do so other Jdubs won't think they are lacking Jehovah's spirit.

LD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit