Atheist you say?

by Rex B13 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Hi Gang,
    We have a nice little discussion going here, don't we? At least there are not too many out and out insults. Some of you seem quite disconcerted and others have just gotten a little introspective. I am getting you thinking about your new walls that you have built. I am providing a little counterpoint to the constant barrage of critisism aimed at believers.
    Richard the Skeptic is partially correct about the 'trolling' part and I like to make observations of the various reactions. Despite the various claims of laughter, I'm sure that each one of you found something within the post that made your new wall shake just a little. Some of you are forcing it a little, Abaddon plays at being cocksure yet she seems rather defensive to me.
    Logical rules of argumentation, you say?
    I see it used mostly to play word games and split hairs, which often obscures the meaning behind the words

Atheism, agnosticism, rationalism and I'd like to add 'naturalism' to the descriptions of most of your non-beliefs. I got that from C.S. Lewis in his book, 'Miracles'. Now there is a man who can use logic against any one of you, no exceptions. He too sees the value of Pascal's wager with Christianity as the only safe bet in life.
    You'd never believe that Christianity has the most logical explanation for our existence, the most conclusive evidence for why we exist and the most historical evidence that a God-man walked the earth, lived in humility, died a criminal's death, yet has provided the world's only hope that something absolutely fabulous awaits those who place faith in Him.
    You guys just don't get it. Your world-view just keeps getting in the way. The cocoon you built for yourselves won't let you see. You still think that there is some totally logical, rational (by human standards) set of explanations out there beyond JW land. Just like in the old days with the WTS, we think that 'all can be figured out and there are no mysteries', just like old mad-hatter Chaz Russell with his 'Divine Plan of the Ages'.
    There are always too sides, there are no certainties (except in Christ), no one can prove nor disprove the existence of God. You cannot actually be an atheist for no one can know all....except God. All of your reasons for reviling Christianity are moot points. God will show mercy on whom He will show mercy, He need not provide explanations for His will, nor the reasons therin. His thoughts are not like ours. We see none of the big picture, thus we have no basis to set ourselves up as judges of His behavior.
    It doesn't matter what we like or don't like about His actions (or inactions). We have no legitimate say in the matter. He has always determined the lengths of men's lives. He is sovereign Lord at all times. He just IS and we understand that as 'I Am', not "I have been' as the blasphemous NWT phrases His name.

I feel better now.
    As always (for now),
    Rex

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Rex,

Nice smug little conclusions you came to there in your last post. But me-thinks you exaggerate your impact. Your post of recycled and not very clear reasoning seemed hardly to "shake the walls" of those who disagree with you. And you really ought to make clear upfront who you're "borrowing" your "ideas" from. Many of us here were reading CS Lewis decades ago.

Cocoons of thinking and restrictive worldviews seem more like your territory. The fact that you can still write: "You cannot actually be an atheist for no one can know all...." makes me wonder if you read any of the answers to that ridiculous claim. You certainly don't seem to understand the ideas expressed even if you read the words. You hardly seem quite as clever as you want to give yourself credit for.

S4

• COMF
    COMF

You still think that there is some totally logical, rational (by human standards) set of explanations out there beyond JW land.

Gee, thanks, Rex! I've been wondering what I thought. It's good to finally find out!

COMF

• mommy
    mommy

Oh Rex,
    Is that it? Well thank you for saving me the time of ever reading your posts again. If this is as close you can get to logical thinking, I am glad I am not eating what you are eating BTW classic response,

There are always too sides, there are no certainties (except in Christ)

Was the spelling error for our benefit? Me thinks you are sounding much like Fred hall in this post
    wendy

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Rex,if you really want to know what people think..ASK them,don`t TELL them.Otherwise you`ll be stuck in the little cocoon you`ve built for yourself...OUTLAW

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Atheism: {I} am god;
    LOGIC, the word of atheism:
    Evolution, the main doctrine:
    Scientists, the preisthood;
    Prognosis for the eternal;
    A pointless life then the unending dirt nap.

Why would any of you object to a little general analysis? Are you that thin-skinned? After all, I am only giving my opinion. As usual, the defensiveness shines through very clearly. You guys don't like the tables turned on you and your new non-beliefs, do you?
    Logic you say? We seem to have a lot of Jan H. Parrots in attendance. At least HE knows what he is talking about on the subject.
    Rex

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO
    There are always too sides, there are no certainties (except in Christ), no one can prove nor disprove the existence of God. You cannot actually be an atheist for no one can know all....except God. All of your reasons for reviling Christianity are moot points. God will show mercy on whom He will show mercy, He need not provide explanations for His will, nor the reasons therin. His thoughts are not like ours. We see none of the big picture, thus we have no basis to set ourselves up as judges of His behavior.
    It doesn't matter what we like or don't like about His actions (or inactions). We have no legitimate say in the matter. He has always determined the lengths of men's lives. He is sovereign Lord at all times. He just IS and we understand that as 'I Am', not "I have been' as the blasphemous NWT phrases His name.

Your are wrong Rex. Allah is the only true way. Not Christ. You must follow Allah for your soul to be saved. Praise Allah and his prophet. Peace be upon you all!

• COMF
    COMF

After all, I am only giving my opinion. As usual, the defensiveness shines through very clearly.

You gave your opinion of what I think. You were quite wrong. There's no defensiveness involved in me saying so. It's just a statement of fact. But, you need your illusions, so go ahead... tell yourself that you're right and that I'm all defensive about it. I don't mind.

COMF

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    Richard the Skeptic is partially correct about the 'trolling' part and I like to make observations of the various reactions.

There had to be a reason for the post other than proving God exists.

Despite the various claims of laughter, I'm sure that each one of you found something within the post that made your new wall shake just a little.
    Actually, no. I could believe 100% in God and Christ and still strongly disagree with 90% of that article. With all due respect, that article works against the cause of Christianity. At one extreme, it makes people think that Christians are not clear thinkers.

I got that from C.S. Lewis in his book, 'Miracles'. Now there is a man who can use logic against any one of you, no exceptions.
    I am probably one of the few who have never read CS Lewis' books on Christianity.

no one can prove nor disprove the existence of God.
    Which is why most atheists will not say God cannot exist. Most, like myself, will say that the probability of God existing is extremely low; so low that for practical purposes it is zero.

We see none of the big picture, thus we have no basis to set ourselves up as judges of His behavior.
    We could say the same of Hitler. We can't judge Hitler because we don't grasp the big picture.

I do have to judge God. The Christian God wants my worship, time and resources. I have to decide if He is worthy of my worship. So, I look at what I know of God and decide if He is worthy of my worship.

I concluded that God probably does not exist, and if he does, He is not worthy of my worship. A God who would kill most of the people on earth or who would torment people forever in a burning hell is worse that Hitler. I have every right to judge a God who would do things like that.

Richard

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Atheism, agnosticism, rationalism and I'd like to add 'naturalism' to the descriptions of most of your non-beliefs. I got that from C.S. Lewis in his book, 'Miracles'. Now there is a man who can use logic against any one of you, no exceptions. He too sees the value of Pascal's wager with Christianity as the only safe bet in life.

Pascal's Wager? Are you serious? For those who don't know, Pascal's wager is essentially the idea that believing in a god is better if we're not sure, because if we don't believe we'll die anyway, whether there's a god or not, whereas if we do believe (or essentially, pretend to believe) we will attain salvation if there is a god. It strikes me as an immoral and wholly unsatisfactory way to live life, and it's unlikely to shake any educated person's grip on reality. Rex, I believe you're trolling. Shame on you!

--
    Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit attrocities - Voltaire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit