A JW's view of a rape victim

by digderidoo 12 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

The following is an ongoing discussion about WT disfellowship policy. It can be seen at http://bible-discussion.com/message-board-forum/viewtopic.php?t=7798&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

A poster called Wolvo has post a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZS86DFZBg8 which has been brought into the discussion of a 17 year old rape victim who was later disfellowshipped for not screaming during the rape.

Due to the fact the disfellowshipped girl admitted to petting, a JW on the forum by the name of TBax had this to say with regards to her being raped.

How is she responsible for being raped??
    Wolvo wrote:

Her being raped is disputable, and I presented reasons people lie in such instances. Even if she was "raped" was she guiltless, or was she unleashing the tiger? We are not talking about legal justice of the courts, but personal responsibility and accountability of cause and effect in the real world.

Shame on you.
    Wolvo wrote:
    There is no shame in having greater understanding then what political correctness will allow. This isn't the realm of political correctness. She was engaged at the very least in loose conduct, and perhaps in fornication prior to the "rape". If you pet the tiger, is it unreasonable that he might bite you?

Her actions led to what happened to her.

Gal 6:7 Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap; 8 because he who is sowing with a view to his flesh will reap corruption from his flesh, but he who is sowing with a view to the spirit will reap everlasting life from the spirit.

What was she sowing? What did she expect? Or is God one to be mocked?

Please someone jump down the guys throat.

Paul

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

From my own personal experiance....although I did not know the person who raped me, as she did. I was about the same age, 15.

I did not scream, I did not consent, I feared for my life, and I lived through it.

Maybe this guy needs to be in her situation and let's here how he handles himself.

purps

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

The comments for the video has been disabled.

The guy who made that comment is just an other example how believing in this kind of shit can warp your sense of empathy.

From my own personal experiance....although I did not know the person who raped me, as she did. I was about the same age, 15.

I did not scream, I did not consent, I feared for my life, and I lived through it.

That's terrible purps. A girl I knew was rape by a family "friend" for about 2 years. She was 15 at the time. When she told her parents they believed her but the elders told her not to go to the authorities. She did any ways and got disfellowshipped for it. I hate this f*&%ing religion.

• snarf
    snarf

This is one of the MANY MANY reasons I left while I still had a little dignity left in my life. The watchtower only knows to victimize the victims. They should be ashamed of themselves for their views, but nothing will change until membership declines at a rapid pace. No one can go up against the elders because they too will get disfellowshipped. Rape is rape wether you scream or not.

• Texasgurl
    Texasgurl

This is a hard subject for me. My mother was raped at an assembly hall building site when I was 22 living at home with my son. Sure, she talked to the guy on a daily basis, probably laughed and seemed flirtatious with him, but he was over 20 years younger than her and she said he was like a "son" to her. My mom has issues, will suck up any attention from males that she can (I've seen it my whole life), my dad is an ass to her. Anyway, one late evening while working, she went to the restroom and he followed her in, he pushed her against the sink and raped her. She said she told him to stop and she cried. She came home very late that night, went and told my father directly and next thing I know, he has a concerned look on his face, she is crying, very shaken, and the elders are on their way over. They met with her so many times, each time asking her if she did something to this young man to have him do this to her. Did she flirt with him? Kiss him? Basically, she was recommended not to go to the police, and made to feel like she was dirty and did something wrong. I saw it.......she was treated like she did something shameful. She confided everything to me, I became her support and therapist....a role I did NOT want but I was all she had. I saw the way the elders looked at her. She was banned from the building site and after a while was allowed to go with my father, however, she didn't want to go back, not after they made her feel so badly. She went into a depression, cried a lot, and a couple times saw this jerk at district conventions and he was almost purposely walk by her which would send her into a panic. I saw her treated like she was trash. It was WRONG what happened to her and she is still in this screwed up religion with my dad and my brothers(who don't know the whole story) It was then that I started asking questions in my own mind. How can the "true religion" with God's backing be so unfair and demeaning to a victim of rape???? This happened in the early 90's. I'm sure not much has changed since then.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Very sad.

If you want something even sadder, check out what the "Holy" bible says about what to do with rape victims. Sickening.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Texasgurl,

Your story is very touching. My condolences to your mother, not just because she was raped, but for what the religion did to her. I consider this to be a second rape only this time it was mental and ongoing.

The fact that they did not want her to go to the police is enough to make me furious. This is proof positive that the only thing the religion cares about is their reputation. That is why I believe all the stories about molestation and how they tried to silence the victims. They don't want any bad publicity. Do the men at the top care?? Obviously, no.

Also, what kills me is how a woman, no matter what age, has to be concerned about talking to a young man because who knows how screwed up he is and what he might do? She has to be concerned that she will be viewed as a Mrs. Robinson trying to seduce somebody. Even though sex is the farthest thing from her mind, it might be the biggest thing on his mind.

This religion needs to be seriously exposed.

LHG

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

This thread is breaking my heart and making me furious and ill.

Purps and TexasGurl... I am so very sorry.

Love to you all.
    Baba.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It's this God damn mentality from the 50's. A woman has it coming to her if she leads a man on. Somehow if one of their daughters suffered through this there might be a change of heart.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    Somehow if one of their daughters suffered through this there might be a change of heart.

Nice sentiment, but unfortunately daughters don't fare any better in the WTS. If they are over the age of 10, they are usually considered to be "asking for it" just by virtue of being single, young, and sexy. The pedophiles even think the little prepubescent girls are asking for it, what with their short little girl dresses and their ringlets. Then they come and sit on your knee and smile in your face seductively. What the hell did they think was going to happen?

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit