Do you consider yourself a monkey's uncle?

by compound complex 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• compound complex
    compound complex

Or, less simply stated (asked, actually): did you get here by creation or evolution? I mean you personally. There are some lovely books on the subject, but I trust your gut feeling more than I do a certain book-publishing-empire-posing-as-a-religion-that-shall-remain-nameless-but-its-initials-are-XXX&XX and, of late, has been accused of SCHOLASTIC DISHONESTY! Imagine that ...

For you homo sapiens of the female persuasion (who frequently show and, subsequently, prove yourselves more sapiens than us guys, some of whom I will ardently plead really, really are in touch with our feminine side):

Are you a monkey's auntie?

CoCo Evolved/Created/Whatever!

• Scully
    Scully

Not to dwell on the finer points, but really, if we are evolved from monkeys, wouldn't they be our uncles and aunties instead of the other way around?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I know fellow evolutionists will soon get on your case about cladistic technicalities. In other words, we are not descended from modern monkeys and apes, but we share common ancestry. Technicalities aside, I know and understand what you are getting at.

To answer your question, yes. I see in my minds eye an unbroken lineage between myself and the first living microbes that existed on this planet. My human ancestry alone extends back tens of thousands of generations. At some point that makes you, me and every other human a relative. Going back several hundred thousand generations puts my ancestors among apes similar to the the chimpanzees that survive today. It is an unbroken cycle of reproduction, birth, survival, and reproduction.

Dave

• Gopher
    Gopher

Did I get here by evolution or by creation?

I got here by birth from my parents!

Evolution happens all the time, and has been happening for eons. The fossil record has thrown a lot of light on that.

A "Creator" is a matter of belief. It's fine to believe in a sky-daddy, I just don't want people to push their version of sky-daddy on me or on kids in our taxpayer-supported schools.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Scully,

I knew from the get-go that I would be proven right*: the ladies are more sapiens than some of us Neanderthals.

Yes, that's it! The question was a set-up to prove that you're smart but I'm right!**

Well, I'll be a monkey's nephew (now that's a little closer to the truth ... yes?!?!?!?)

CoCo Cro-Magnon-Not

*All right already! I'm as transparent as cellophane and twice as flimsy in my raisonments. I'm making this up as I go.

** See above.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Dave and Gopher.

I'm thinking about how to reply to your intelligent comments.

It's an education!

Thanks much.

CoCo

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I guess re-itterating I'm not a monkey's anything, we just share a common ancestor.

I do believe in evolution, there's too many things that evolution explain that creation doesn't. The biggest thing for me is that our Chromosome #2 is a merged primate Chromosome. The great Apes have 24 pairs of Chromosomes and we have 22. Chromosome 2 has extra telomeres in it that would've only happened through a merger of chromosomes. If God created humans he wouldn't have merged the chromosome, it would've been complete to begin with. I don't think he would purposely put that into our genome to make it seem that evolution had taken place if it hadn't.

There's many other things that swayed me like androgenous retro-viruses and so forth. Far too many to go into here.

• catbert
    catbert

I evolved from Japheth, who was taller than Shem and Ham.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

No, Bush is not my nephew

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I'm one strand in the web of life, which is connected to ALL the other strands. Ultimately, if traced back far enough "we are stardust, we are golden".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit