Holidays-nervous about celebrating them but don't understand why.

by QuestioningEverything 27 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sacolton..I love your Monster House!!..LOL!!..That`s Terror`ific!!..Boo!..Running Away In Circles....................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• sacolton
    sacolton

Photobucket

The red toungue ... er, carpet ... awaits for guests.

alt

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I first started decorating in 2006, but was afraid of going to a supermarket or department store to get the decorations. I ordered them online because I didn't want the hounders to have a too-easy time getting me.

In 2007, I started buying them at supermarkets and department stores in addition to going online. It makes for an interesting mix of decorations. And, for the record, they stayed up all summer of 2008.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Wow, sacolton, you even have a realistic ghostlike figure that appears in your front door

• Scully
    Scully

For me, part of the anxiety was definitely about the possibility of being caught. Another part of it was because, after a lifetime without observing those holidays, I didn't really know what I was doing. I had to learn how to carve a pumpkin. I had to learn new behaviours - like saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" - and make a conscious effort to practice the new behaviours.

In a way, I felt kind of like I stuck out like a sore thumb, because the traditions seemed to come so naturally to everyone else, but not to me. But they were "natural" to everyone else because they'd had so much more practice than I did. It's kind of like learning a new sport - there are other people who have been playing the game for a long time and know the rules and have the technique - while I was fumbling around in a tangle of Christmas lights.

• yknot
    yknot

I thought in ISoCF Ray says he personally doesn't celebrate holidays ......

• four candles
    four candles

Even though I havn't been to meetings for a number of years now,I still can't bring myself to celebrate,especially birthdays and christmas. Its not that I'm afraid that I will be seen by witnesses cos I don't give two hoots what anybody else thinks or tells me what to do,its just not in me to celebrate. I feel uncomfortable with the thought,I'm a complete bah humbug as far as xmas goes. I probably never will celebrate them,which is good as I don't have to pay out a load of money that I havn't got!!!

Scrooge..................er I mean FC.!!

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

We have the same feelings. I don't even know "how" to celebrate anything. Cannot be very conspicuous about it because our house is already on watch. I did get a BD cake for someone at work and I broke out in a cold sweat trying to get it from the bakery to the car without being seen. My kids still want to picked up on the days of holiday parties because they say they are "nervous" even though I said it was OK. I'm in the same quandary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit