Holidays-nervous about celebrating them but don't understand why.

by QuestioningEverything 27 Replies latest jw friends

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I have came to the conclusion that all I learned while growing up as a witness is not the "truth'. I believe I have become agnostic in a short period of time. So, this year I decided that we are going to celebrate some holidays. Maybe not the traditional way everyone else does but in our own family's way. Yet, I feel VERY nervous and dont' understand why. Any thoughts on my anxiety over this?

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

It could just be coz its new that you feel nervous - just like doing anything else for the first time.

Or it could be that you're worried about getting "caught" by some elder or family member. Do you still live in your old cong's territory?

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I know the feeling.. but you need to do the research... have you read "In Search of Christian Freedom" by R Franz?

After a while, you will get over that feeling, and will actually enjoy the holidays! (I'm just staring myself.. I'm so excited to have a big happy halloween sign on my office door!)

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

All of my family are still 'in' but they live in another city. No need to worry about them, they never visit. :) I have read most of Crisis of Conscience. And quite frankly, it pisses me off that the WTS have mislead so many people who for the most part of sincere in their belief's. I guess my anxiety comes mostly from the Halloween holiday. Not as much as Christmas or Thanksgiving. I can't get out of my head the connection with evil and the devil/demons. My boys want to go trick or treating. I told them they could- but I still feel funny about it. A@G, I have really appreciated your comments on all of your posts. You really seem to mirror a lot of my sentiments.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Well, ISoCF wil help with the holiday misconceptions... big book but worth the effort to deprogram... after reading it I tore up my blood card and resolved to celebrate B-days and holidays right away!

Thanks for your kind comment... it's nice to know I am making a difference...

And about Halloween.. if you're agnostic, do you still believe in demons? I don't!

I tried it one day... go to your room... lock the door.. and give Jehovah the finger while saying F*** You! If lightning doesn't come down or she bears dont tear you up, you can safely assume he doesnt exist or doesnt give a sh!t.

Next try it with Jesus and Satan... when nothing happens, assume the same...

If you haven't been struck with lightning after sending Jehovah, Jesus, and Satan and his demons to hell, then go trick or treating without fear...

If you don't post for a few days, I will be scanning the news for a woman in her forties with kids who got struck with lightning, lol

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I thought I was the only one who believed lightning came out of the sky to destroy wicked ones. !!!

• sacolton
    sacolton

My MONSTER HOUSE ... ready to gobble the kiddies who come for candy ...

alt

alt

• Emma
    Emma

I was nervous at first, too. It's all the old brainwashing. You can easily feel guilty long after you no longer believe. They do a good job at messing up minds. I figured that if that lightening bolt didn't get me when I walked into a Unitarian church, it pretty much wasn't ever going to. My kids had such a good time celebrating; I can still remember the first Halloween. It was cold and rainy, they were cold, but didn't mind. We went back to the house for pizza (and beer for the adults) while the kids counted and sorted the loot. I'm so looking forward to all the holidays this year! Love my Christmas tree!

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Questioning, you're not the only one. I REALLY want to do halloween. It will be my first time. I got invited to a pre-halloween party this weekend for everyone to try out their costumes. I'm even nervous about that. Maybe its because we become 'officially worldly' once we start doing the holidays.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Relax. There is a scripture to help you with that ...

Colossians 2:16

Therefore, let no one judge you in matters of food and drink or with respect to a festival, a new moon, or Sabbath days.

We live now by the New Covenant, which means we live by an utter dependence upon our relationship to Christ, not upon rules and regulations. We have been set free to live for Christ.

Jehovah's Witnesses don't understand that. They are still trying to live by the rules and regulations. And some people get pretty upset when you preach that we are not to live by rules and regulations because they think, if you do, people are going to go out and live like the devil. They think that you have to put laws on people to restrain them. But here we are talking about a relationship that is spiritual in nature and enables us to live by a higher principle of life. We've been set free to live for Christ. We are free to do anything and everything that we can do in Christ. So, don't let the Pharisee spirit of some judge you by their so-called righteousness. We have been set free from the judgmental spirit of legalism. Therefore, let no man act as your judge.

It matters not what we eat or drink or what festivals we participate. Let no one judge us concerning these matters.

Now, go enjoy the festivals ... do everything "In Christ" and have peace of mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit