Small Indiana Apostafest today.... and a hypothetical question

by AK - Jeff 11 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

With a few who had/do post here on JWD. I refrain from naming names since I did not ask permission to do so.

The reason I started the thread though is this:

One of our group posed the following hypothetical, which I thought to be interesting.

If Jehovah's Witnesses had nothing to fear, that is, no repercussions [shunning, loss of social network and family, public disgrace of DF or DA] from leaving, what percentage do you believe would walk out and not look back? In other words, how many are being held inside, or refusing to think about the contradictions they see, soley on the basis of fear?

I would be interested in seeing this forum's response to this question.

Jeff

• Open mind
    Open mind

In a New York (or Terre Haute) minute.

om

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

a lot. Many stay in for that exact reason.

I know if it werent for the tiny chance that my JW mom might have a brain fart and decide to start shunning me (despite her claim she wouldn't) I would DA in 2 seconds.

I hate the looking over my shoulder paranoia.

Snakes ()

• dawg
    dawg

75% would leave... period.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Oops. I read the question as I WANTED it to be, not how it IS. Silly dub.

A small percentage (10% ?) would walk out and never/rarely come back.

A much higher percentage (40-50% ?) would slow WAY down in their official Borg activity but remain social JWs.

om

• flipper
    flipper

JEFF- Good question posed by the group. I feel Dawg isn't too far off. My guess would be anywhere from 55 % to 70 % probably would leave if they were not made to stay in the cult through fear and the other factor ; guilt. Fear and guilt are the 2 legs that cult mind control groups use to walk on to keep rank and file members controlled and scared to leave. Those 2 things are very strong factors in most Jehovah's Witnesses staying in the cult

• Dagney
    Dagney

I think 75-80%, easy. MHO

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I would guess that under 10% would leave instantly. However, over the course of that first year 50% would have left. After the remainder reorganize along the way, and start fighting among themselves, less than 35% would remain by the end of the second year. That's my guess.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I know a lot around me would leave fast. Others would leave after a while. In % I would say about 15% at first and then later on 60-70%. Just think of all the people on this board.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Good question! I am going to present this to the Meetup group in Phoenix tomorrow! Will let you know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit