Paul and Jesus

by Slappy 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

If Jesus was so smart, why didn't he pick Paul as an apostle when he was alive instead of twelve lazy losers?

Missing Link,

For the same reason that Jesus picked Judas. It is not a question of being smart. Jesus did not pre-judge them. And the eleven lazy losers as you call them did finally grasp the truth made known to them by Paul. He had to visit them and discuss the matter with them but they finally understood what such truth was: Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Take Peter for instance: 2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. For James and the thousands of others that he influenced it took many more years and his letter that finally rejected such Law to bring them around.

Missing Link said: Paul's message is clearly different (even opposite at times) from Jesus.

Only to those that do not know how to read, the untrained and unstable as Peter called them. Paul supported women as equal in the faith but those that do not know how to read and interpret texts take them the opposite way. That is why the Watchtower incorrectly required a head covering for women. They took the side of the Jews that Paul was chastising. The good thing that we get out of this is the ability to identify those that can interpret the texts for others and those like the Watchtower and its witnesses that cannot.

Joseph

• Slappy
    Slappy

That's interesting Joseph. I know that Paul had called them out on such an issue, I'd just never thought of it in the sense that you just mentioned. I'll have to keep that in mind as I study.

I just find it interesting that even after Peter had his vision from God before he was asked to visit Cornelius (Acts 10), Paul still had to correct him on that same issue that God had revealed to him (Galatians 2:11-13). Peter had given into the 'peer pressure' and didn't have the conviction necessary (as of yet in any case) to hold fast to the fact that Jewish traditions are of naught under the day of Grace.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out that little detail.

slappy

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Joseph,

I've noticed you adhere consistently to the angle that Paul, when stating "I", was referring to quotes of those he disagreed with.

I would like to know the foundation of that idea.

What is your basis, other than wild speculation, for stating so?

I am serious- you may PM me if you prefer.

I read no such inference into his writings.

BA- Thanks, look forward to your reply, Bro!

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

I just find it interesting that even after Peter had his vision from God before he was asked to visit Cornelius (Acts 10), Paul still had to correct him on that same issue that God had revealed to him (Galatians 2:11-13).

Slappy,

All this goes far beyond Acts 10, it involves all the Law and Peter seemed to be fine with it for a while that much is true. You know what happened. Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. 12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. 13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation. He and others lost their way under pressure the way Paul lost his way under pressure when he shaved his head to take the vows they demanded since he needed time to reason with them again. Yet they both recovered and in the process they recovered the thousands that were being lost to the Faith. Later we see Peter as a strong Apostle and fighting alongside Paul. And John who was also involved in all this changed his ways completely by emphasizing love as a bridge to such conflicts. But John also took a very tough stance against such Jewish Law keepers calling them liars and antichrist. He no longer supported the Law but Christ’s commandments in its place.

Does this convey a message for us? Of course, it all means that even if we failed the Faith we still have a chance. Even though our minds may have been filled with false Watchtower doctrine we still have time to repent and seek the truth. We can do as the Bereans did. Ac 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. And if the Watchtower demands you believe and teach it their way or else when you know they are wrong then leave. Evil men have done this before as John wrote: 3 John 9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. 10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church. 11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God. Do not follow such evil. You will not get everlasting life from them.

Joseph

• Farkel
    Farkel

Although I don't believe the Bible was inspired by anything but a Jewish need to change actual history and perhaps other nefarious reasons, I will for the moment, assume Jesus actually said what the Bible says he said.

Jesus never once put women in a secondary position. In fact he kept company with a number of them and never made them a class of second-class humans. Yeah, he called his mother "Woman" instead of "Mommie", but what he called her was actually what she was. Paul made them second-class humans, at least in religious authority matters. How many MEN were camped out at Jesus' tomb? Uh, none. Depending upon the accounts, there were 1 or 2 or 3 women there. Where was Peter and the other guys? Losers.

Paul could never talk about the "nature" of Jesus, because unlike the real Apostles, he didn't know him. He talked in terms of abstractions, but without intimate knowledge.

Then again, the guys who wrote the Gospels waited about 30 to 50 years to actually write anything about Jesus. One has to wonder WHY it took them THAT long to write about the greatest human who ever lived and His accomplishments in the entire history of this planet.

In that period of time, what actually happened and what they think happened becomes dimmer with each year.

It's all bullshit.

(Always nice to see you contribute, Mr. Joseph Malik. I respect you and I respect your beliefs and opinions, as always.)

Farkel

• Slappy
    Slappy

"Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes." Proverbs 26:5

Although I don't believe the Bible was inspired by anything but a Jewish need to change actual history and perhaps other nefarious reasons, I will for the moment, assume Jesus actually said what the Bible says he said.

Really? Huh, that's awfully weird then. Why would Jews write such things down 'to change history' and then completely reject them, as they have the NT? There's some logic there that I'm completely missing.

Then again, the guys who wrote the Gospels waited about 30 to 50 years to actually write anything about Jesus. One has to wonder WHY it took them THAT long to write about the greatest human who ever lived and His accomplishments in the entire history of this planet.

Umm...do u know anything about how history was kept in those times? It was mostly ORAL, as in spoken, NOT written. Go find a dictionary if that still doesn't clarify it enough for you. Besides 30-50 years is nothing. What do you think the Gospel authors did, keep a diary and 'publish' them as soon as Jesus ascended? How many biographies have been written in the last 100 years alone that have a time lapse like that? And that's with all the technology we have now.

Jesus never once put women in a secondary position. In fact he kept company with a number of them and never made them a class of second-class humans. Yeah, he called his mother "Woman" instead of "Mommie", but what he called her was actually what she was. Paul made them second-class humans, at least in religious authority matters. How many MEN were camped out at Jesus' tomb? Uh, none. Depending upon the accounts, there were 1 or 2 or 3 women there. Where was Peter and the other guys? Losers.

Um, first off, Matthew 22:29 "You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God." Secondly look at Philippians 4:3 "And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life." Second class humans? I'm missing it...anyway, back to what Jesus said concerning those that tried making an argument on a faulty base due to not understanding what they were arguing; keep that in mind next time, it will serve you well.

Paul could never talk about the "nature" of Jesus, because unlike the real Apostles, he didn't know him. He talked in terms of abstractions, but without intimate knowledge.

Yea, this'll go back to your lack of understanding what you're talking about...again. Read Acts 9:1-9; not sure if it can get much more intimate and personal than that.

It's all bullshit.

It's always nice to see an educated comment from an educated person.

Nothing further your Honor.

slappy

ps. "Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive" Proverbs 17:28

• Farkel
    Farkel

slappy,

Sigh.

:Really? Huh, that's awfully weird then. Why would Jews write such things down 'to change history' and then completely reject them, as they have the NT? There's some logic there that I'm completely missing.

Uh, Read Genesis 36:31 and explain to us how Moses could talk in the PAST TENSE about the Kings who ruled over Edom BEFORE any Kings that ruled over Israel. Genesis was written in allegedly during the Jewish Egyptian Exodus in the wilderness. After Moses died, there was a period of 450 years of Judges BEFORE any Kings of Israel ruled over the Jews. The first King was Saul. The second was David. Exodus 36:31 specificallys "Kings of Israel", so that verse predated "Kings Ruling in Israel" by OVER 450 years while Moses was in the wilderness and talking in the past tense! We call this an "anachronism." You call it "inspired scripture."

:Umm...do u know anything about how history was kept in those times? It was mostly ORAL, as in spoken, NOT written. Go find a dictionary if that still doesn't clarify it enough for you. Besides 30-50 years is nothing. .... How many biographies have been written in the last 100 years alone that have a time lapse like that? And that's with all the technology we have now.

:What do you think the Gospel authors did, keep a diary and 'publish' them as soon as Jesus ascended?

Boy, if I was a witness to the raising-of-the-dead and other miracles that Jesus allegedly did, I would DEFINITELY keep a diary! Only an idiot would NOT keep a diary of the biggest and best miracles in the history of mankind. Anyone who can raise a man from the dead after 3 days of death, stinking and rotting flesh would most DEFINTELY make me keep a diary. Anyone who wouldn't keep a diary of that day would be consider a loser AND a moron.

This is what is called a "straw man" argument. Change my argument and put up another one and then demolish that one. Your argument is silly. You make the case that since history was mostly "oral" back then, then 30-50 years to write about it makes sense. But that doesn't address the issue that people knew how to write at the time the history happened. Are you arguing that the apostles who wrote the Gospels needed 30 to 50 years to learn how to write before they could actually do the writing, or that they just didn't care enough about the subject to bother to write about it for 3 to 5 DECADES? Or are you just making a stupid answer to a serious question?

Your second argument is even more absurd: biographies that are legitimate are written LONG after the subject died. Well, fine and dandy. That mightl do for someone like Lincoln or Jefferson, but it won't do for the Son of GOD. His works and teachings (any sane person would reason) would have been at least recorded during his lifetime and not 30 to 50 years later. After all, he WAS the Son of God, you know. Why didn't any non-Jews (i.e. Romans) who were literate at the time record a SINGLE THING about the life and times of Jesus? Was the Devil messing around with ALL of them?

:Um, first off, Matthew 22:29 "You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God."

Ok. First Matthew 22:29. That addresses NOTHING about my argument about Jesus not making second-class citizens of women.

: Secondly look at Philippians 4:3 "And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life." Second class humans? I'm missing it...anyway, back to what Jesus said concerning those that tried making an argument on a faulty base due to not understanding what they were arguing; keep that in mind next time, it will serve you well.

Another strawman. I never asserted that women would not be in your imaginery "Book of Life." I asserted that Paul (he wrote the letter to the Philippians, in case you didn't know). I asserted that Paul called women inferior to men. And he did. Look up "strawman" in your search engine. I even spelled "strawman" for you, because you may move your lips when you read to yourself.

:Yea, this'll go back to your lack of understanding what you're talking about...again. Read Acts 9:1-9; not sure if it can get much more intimate and personal than that.

Cite your case from the Acts and please be specific to make your point. The fact is, Paul only had some sort of "vision". He never lived with Jesus. He never ate with Jesus. He wasn't there when Jesus lived, healed and spoke. He wasn't there at the crucifixion or Jesus' death. He did NOT know the nature of Jesus as did the real Apostles. He made up shit.

It's all bullshit.

:It's always nice to see an educated comment from an educated person.

It's always nice to see more bullshit from a bullshitter.

:Nothing further your Honor.

There was nothing in the first place, your dummyship.

Farkel

• Gopher
    Gopher

Slappy quotes Proverbs 26:5 (calling Farkel a "fool"):

"Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes." Proverbs 26:5

Well smarty pants, what about the preceding verse? Why didn't you heed this one?

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you also be like him." Proverbs 26:4

• Slappy
    Slappy

I was really hoping someone would bring that up, thank you Gopher.

Those two verses go hand in hand, so they should be viewed together. However one must understand the nuance of the similar expression in each verse, which you have failed to do.

Verse 4 is cautioning against responding in like manner (foolish, uninformed, and petty) lest one stoop down to the fool's level and thereby gain the same credibility as the fool, which is to say, none.

Verse 5, however, urges us to correct such a one less they continue down such a path of foolishness. We do not do so to somehow puff ourselves up, but to seek the well-being of the other.

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4

Anyway, it's just so frustrating that people will spout out so much nonsense about something they know nothing about and feel justified in doing so. Most, if not all, have never even taken the time to even make an attempt at studying what is truly being said in the Bible (without adhereing to any outside influence, pro or con). They'll just listen to what other like-minded individuals have to say, decide what they do and what they don't like, and then take that for themselves and act like they know what they're talking about. How is that any different from any 'organized religions'?

Would you spend any time listening to one who is trying to teach calculus even though it's quite clear said person has never even understood the basic principles of mathematics? There is an understanding and a frame of mind that must be achieved to understand calculus and the same thing can be said of the Bible.

Farkel:

I'm done, it's clear that you won't even attempt to understand what the Bible is saying and are only attempting to argue and to ridicule that which you don't understand. Perhaps when you're willing to at least gain a basic understanding of the whole Bible, we can discuss at further length. Until then, enjoy twisting things beyond recognition to please yourself...I must say, you are very much a 'student' of the Watchtower.

slappy

• snowbird
    snowbird

If I could say something about Genesis 36:31? Thank you.

Perhaps Moses, or whoever wrote this, was anticipating the Israelites' request for a king?

From The Message Bible:

Deuteronomy 17:14 -17 When you enter the land that God , your God, is giving you and take it over and settle down, and then say, "I'm going to get me a king, a king like all the nations around me," make sure you get yourself a king whom God , your God, chooses. Choose your king from among your kinsmen; don't take a foreigner—only a kinsman. And make sure he doesn't build up a war machine, amassing military horses and chariots. He must not send people to Egypt to get more horses, because God told you, "You'll never go back there again!" And make sure he doesn't build up a harem, collecting wives who will divert him from the straight and narrow. And make sure he doesn't pile up a lot of silver and gold.

18 -20 This is what must be done: When he sits down on the throne of his kingdom, the first thing he must do is make himself a copy of this Revelation on a scroll, copied under the supervision of the Levitical priests. That scroll is to remain at his side at all times; he is to study it every day so that he may learn what it means to fear his God , living in reverent obedience before these rules and regulations by following them. He must not become proud and arrogant, changing the commands at whim to suit himself or making up his own versions. If he reads and learns, he will have a long reign as king in Israel, he and his sons.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit