In the Bible, what does" stop judging " mean to you ?

by caliber 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caliber
    caliber
    Matthew 7:1, 2--“Stop judging that YOU may not be judged; 2 for with what judgment YOU are judging, YOU will be judged

The Greek word in that verse is KRINO. There are seven (7) different meanings to that one word. How it is used here ?

Corinthians 5:11-13-- "I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.

Can you bring these thoughts together... judgement..... discernment what ?

Does it mean we can disagree in a "civil" manner without judging ?

Does it mean if we openly condemn we are judging ?

Is there a difference when we show that it is directly what God condemns or judges as wrong ?

Does not the Bble say to discern and expose false things ?

pondering !

Caliber

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Well caliber, I'll go with the obvious. Matthew contains the words of Jesus. Corinthians contains the words of Paul. So, which one is the saviour and supposed to be followed? Jesus said that he would judge. Paul said that men do the judging. Paul was a Pharisee... his whole life long.

"Stop judging that YOU may not be judged."

• White Dove
    White Dove

Stop judging to me means to stop dictating to and expecting others to do what you think they should do in regards to worship and belief.

Stop using religion and lifestyle prejudices as reasons to not be friendly to others.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

It ties in with the "despicable fool" admonition:

We are not to make the ultimate determination of whether a person is going to be saved or not.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

How very interesting that the words in Matthew came from Jesus, but the words in Corinthians came from Paul. The Bible may have been inspired to a point, but I think that the human writers took a lot of latitude in putting their own ideas into it.

• Slappy
    Slappy

Ahh...be careful not to take portions out of context...as you just did. When you read the following verses, things are put into perspective, no?

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your borther's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from you own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from you brother's eye." Matthew 7:1-5

Furthermore, when you understand what verse 6 is saying, you will see that it goes hand in hand with what Paul is saying in 1 Corinthians 5.

"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." Matthew 7:6

While it is not an easy portion to understand, when you do, you will see that Paul was mirroring exactly what Jesus said, just in a way that could be more easily understood by those who weren't familiar with Jewish expressions. The point is that 'what is holy' and 'your pearls' refers to the value of rebuke (or condemnation) to a true believer (one who is 'wise' in the words of Solomon). The dogs and swine refer to those who are not believers, or as Solomon refers to such in Proverbs, 'fools'. And speaking of Proverbs, there are many portions that refer to 'rebuke' and how the 'wise' and the 'foolish' receive such. One such portion that is readily applicable is in Proverbs 25:12:

"Like an earring of gold and an ornament of fine gold is a wise rebuker to an obedient ear." Proverbs 25:12

Again, you stopped your quote of 1 Corinthians 5 too short and lost what was truly being said.

For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore "put away from yourselves the evil person." 1 Corinthians 5:12

What happens when blatant wrongdoing is allowed to go on without any sort of deterrent? It gives the impression that that wrongdoing is condoned. This is not the impression that should be given.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Atheist non-vested meaning to me.

Get ye from other peoples bizznax. For thee well knoweth that other peoples bizznax are not thine bizznax. Flee therefore to thy own bizznax for sufficiant are the troubles caused by thine own bizznax to be concerned with the bizznax of others.

• caliber
    caliber

Slappy,

Ahh...be careful not to take portions out of context...as you just did

I am not sure how I could take a scripture out of context by just quoting it and with no application

only a few questions. I merely quoted the most pertaint part of each scripture to promote discussion...

however I do agree that only a few verses may distort the message if they stand alone .. therefore I thank

you for follow up verses that help to clarify the true nature and meaning of each of these references

Thanks to everyone for there personal thoughts which indeed is what I was seeking !

Caliber

• Slappy
    Slappy

Oh...sorry. I guess that I'm so tired of people taking portions out of context to prove this thing or that thing that I over-reacted. My bad.

As for my opinion, I try not to judge. Not that that's the easiest thing to accomplish, that's for sure.

Well, here's a question, do we judge the person, or do we judge what that person does? Is there even a difference?

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's means to stop labeling others to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit