the reason why JW kids never do homework

by 1914BS 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

This was a huge problem for us when we were going to meetings. Realistically kids need to eat dinner, unwind for awhile after school and do homework. It was not possible for our family to attend the second meeting on Thursday night during the school year. It's not possible for a working mom to get dinner on the table, clean it up, help kids with homework, get lunches for the next day then get dressed up and go back out again. We had family arguments every meeting night. Most young school aged children slept during the entire meeting with an uncomfortable suit on. At our congregation, 3/4 of families eventually elected to home school (no school). They would often say how much easier it was to get to meetings and out in service without all that pesky school work. The sad part was that by about 8th grade most of them were just hanging out at home or working with mom in her part time cleaning business. There was not one child in the last two decades (in our cong) that attended college. So no, not a lot of homework going on. Very sad.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Most home work is a waste of time 'busy work' any way.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Both of my JW parents wanted me to go to college. Beginning in 1974 when I started 1st grade, homework and good grades were encouraged. I got a $1.00 for every A.

Thank God my parents were normal in this respect.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black
    Beginning in 1974 when I started 1st grade

Oh God...I feel old... I started first grade in 1956 at age 4,,, but even though they were jws my parents believed in education...and if there was homework, they had no problem with my missing meetings to get it done. I went to college too in a time when that was a no no for dubs... They backed me up 100%. In fact my dad, an elder, insisted that I go.

Coffee

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Whether you think home work is just busy work or not, it is a hoop that must be jumped through to get from point A to point B. Going to meetings(only to be told education is not important) two night s a week and being out until 2200 is a huge roadblock along the way.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I look back at my time as a Witness and I can't believe I had time to wipe my ass. High School was the busiest time for me, I had an afterschool job along with all my JW responsibilities. I literally had 1 hour of free time to myself every day, just 1 hour. With 1 hour of free time, do you really think I would do homework. I remember I looked forward to that 1 hour all day, I would just smile thinking about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit