Can someone help me with the latest thinking on Boy Scouts??

by lrkr 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lrkr
    lrkr

Just wondering what, if anything has been published in the past about joining the Boy Scouts? Is it an automatic DA, like joining the army??

• The Missus
    The Missus

I don't know about now, but when I was a kid I definitely could not join girl scouts and even buying the cookies was taboo

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

See, "For the Boy's" section. Awake-1977-January-8-p.29 (Also, search the word, "Clubs" in your Watchtower Library CD.)

• yknot
    yknot

Boy Scouts are required to say the pledge of allegiance to the USA.........Nuff' said!

• Earnest
    Earnest

I was in the scouts when I was studying and simply didn't salute the flag in the ceremony. My son joined the scouts and although it was suggested to me it was unwise there was no action taken against me.

• blondie
    blondie

Patriotism has always been a focus of the Scouts.........not a quality the WTS emphasizes.

• justhuman
    justhuman

I don't recall the WT saying anything about the Scouts...but generally speaking they are "wordly" associates that JW's should avoid

• lrkr
    lrkr

You are all confirming what I thought- mostly prejudice and whispering about how "wrong" it is- nothing in writing that specifically outlaws it.

• 1914BS
    1914BS

Ya they can be damn cute

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

As far as I know, there is nothing in writing about joining the Boy Scouts, however just ask any Elder and they will tell you why you shouldn't join.

Does anyone know if the old school brochure mentioned the Boy Scouts.

The Boy Scouts are very patriotic with a somewhat religious angle too, so really why would any "real" Jehovah's Witness want to join in the first place?

Also aren't the Boy Scouts required to take an oath of allegiance to their countryin order to join?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit