Do you remember the past, or do you live in it?

by sweetstuff 9 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    "all we have is now, the past has gone, the future hasn't happened yet" my favorite

Very apt as well.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Remember the past, Live in the present, Keep your eyes on the future 100% AGREE

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    100% AGREE

Glad you agree Stilla.

• zagor
    zagor

From one of my old threads about martial arts ....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/126293/1.ashx

Most of us spend all of our time locked in the past or worrying about the future. We carry our past and our hopes for the future with us wherever we go. We carry both the happy and unhappy stuff of our lives. And so if we want a powerful and clear mind that makes us feel centered within ourselves, we need to cultivate a practice of just laying down the thoughts of past and the future and “coming home” to the now. Otherwise, the “then” or the “yet to be” dominates our experience and we miss out on what is happening right now. The only moment you truly have is right now. The past is gone. The future hasn’t happened yet.
    (The Warrior Mind – Ancient Wisdom From the Martial Arts for Living a More Powerful Life, J. Pritchard (2006) p.42)

When I was thinking about application of that and what such profound ideas can do to many lives on even this board one realization really struck me. As j-dubs our thoughts were locked in an illusive future that would never come as ex-dubs we might find our thoughts being locked in a past that won’t go away. But what really matters is now moment, which might be impossible to fully appreciate or enjoy for that matter if we live in kind of a limbo between two extremes. Very interesting isn’t it?

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Excellent observation Zagor!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow.

-- Orison Marden

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

"We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace."

part of the AA promises, p 83,84 The big book.

Paul

• Witchettygrub
    Witchettygrub

All we have is this present moment, the now.
    The past, as I look back to it, is sweet. Plainly that means I'm getting older and sentimental. Each person is a product of their past making them who they are right now.
    Our future is unknown and we move forward into it each second. One hour ago is the past and we are unable to return.

Time is a strange thing, like we are multi-dimensional beings.

Witchettygrub

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

"Just Do It"

Best slogan that ever came out of the advert world

• John Doe
    John Doe

Loosely from Henry Ford--"If you think you can or if you think you can't, you're probably right."

Any reason for the query?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit