Blondie's Comments You Will Not Hear at the 10-05-08 WT Study (LOYAL LEAVE)

by blondie 26 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Comments You Will Not Hear at the 10-05-08 WT Study (August 15, 2008, pages 3-7 (LEAVE LOYAL)Review comments will be in red
    WT material from today's WT will be in black
    Quotes from other sources will be in quotes boxes
    w = Watchtower
    g = Awake
    jv = Proclaimers book

Bible translations www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible
    WT publications www.strictlygenteel.co.uk
    WT child abuse www.silentlambs.org
    Blood issue www.ajwrb.org
    United Nations http://www.randytv.com/secret/unitednations.htm

"[Jehovah] will not leave His loyal ones. To time indefinite they will certainly be guarded. Ps. 37:28.[/b]

OPENING COMMENTS

First why brackets in the theme scripture?

(Psalm 37:28) For Jehovah is a lover of justice, And he will not leave his loyal ones. To time indefinite they will certainly be guarded; But as for the offspring of the wicked ones, they will indeed be cut off.

Note that the WTS is using an OT scripture and an OT event to demonstrate that God does not leave loyal Christians, that is protects and guides them. Are there no examples in the NT? Why not Jesus, or Paul, Silas, Dorcas? Are loyal ones Jews or Christians? According to the WTS the Jews ultimately proved to be disloyal and were rejected as a nation ultimately in 36 CE when Gentiles were invited to be Christians and in 70 CE when the temple, priest class, were obliterated.

And why the focus on God not leaving us when Jesus said:

(Matthew 28:20) . . .And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

There is also a telling statement in this that reflects this non-jw sentiment.

QUOTATION: Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong.

ATTRIBUTION: Stephen Decatur (1779–1820), U.S. naval commander. Toast given at Norfolk, April 1816. Quoted in Life of Stephen Decatur, ch. 14, Alexander Slidell MacKenzie (1846). proposed at a banquet in Norfolk, Virginia to celebrate Decatur’s victory over Algerian “Barbary pirates.”

Paragraph 15

With hearts full of gratitude, we stay close to "the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time." Christ has appointed this slave "over all his belongings." (Matt. 24:45-47) Therefore, even if we as individuals do not fully understand a certain position taken by the slave class, that is no reason for us to reject it or return to Satan's world. Instead, loyalty will move us to act humbly and wait on Jehovah to clarify matters.

Another "waiting on Jehovah" cautionary statement.

START OF ARTICLE

Q. 1, 2. (a) What developments in the tenth century B.C.E. tested the loyalty of God's servants? (b) In what three situations did Jehovah guard his loyal ones?

IT IS the tenth century B.C.E. and a time of decision. Civil war has narrowly been avoided by granting Israel's restless northern tribes a measure of independence. Their newly appointed king, Jeroboam, quickly moves to consolidate his power by Establishing a new State religion. He demands complete allegiance from his subjects. What will faithful servants of Jehovah do? Will they remain loyal to the God they worship? Thousands do, and Jehovah watches over them as they maintain their integrity.-1 Ki. 12:1-33; 2 Chron. 11:13, 14.

[Jeroboam] demands complete allegiance--Isn't that what the WTS is doing in paragraph 15?

Does the WTS preach loyalty to God or to an organization and body of humans?

*** w06 5/15 p. 22 par. 8 Are You Prepared for Survival? ***
    Just as Noah and his God-fearing family were preserved in the ark, survival of individuals today depends on their faith and their loyal association with the earthly part of Jehovah’s universal organization.

*** w06 9/1 p. 16 Highlights From Book Five of Psalms ***

Have we formed a loyal attachment to the organization that Jehovah is using today?

*** w00 8/15 p. 28 Are You a “Full-Grown” Christian? ***
    How inappropriate it would be to challenge or undermine the authority of appointed elders! You should also feel a sense of loyalty to “the faithful and discreet slave” and the agencies that are used to disseminate spiritual “food at the proper time.” (Matthew 24:45) Be quick to read and apply the information found in The Watchtower and its companion publications.

*** w07 4/1 p. 24 par. 12 Loyal to Christ and His Faithful Slave ***
    Therefore, when we loyally submit to the direction of the faithful slave and its Governing Body, we are submitting to Christ, the slave’s Master.

2. The loyalty of God's servants is being tested in our day too. "'Keep your senses, be watchful," warns the Bible. "Your adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone." Can we successfully "take [our] stand against him, solid in the faith"'! (1 Pet. 5:8, 9) Let us examine certain events surrounding King Jeroboam's inauguration in 997 B.C.E. and see what we can learn from them. During those critical times, Jehovah's faithful servants were oppressed. They were also exposed to apostate influences while they carried out challenging assignments. In each of these situations, Jehovah did not leave his loyal ones then, and he will not do so today.-Ps. 37:28.

God's servants are only jws per the WTS.

Does God test with evil things?

(James 1:13) When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone.

But watch how the WTS gets around this:

*** w07 8/15 p. 18 You Can Deal With Injustice! ***
    Jehovah may even have reasons for not correcting a certain situation. As part of our Christian training, he may permit us to experience injustice. Of course, ‘with evil things God does not try anyone.’ (James 1:13) Still, he may allow a situation to develop without his intervention, and he can sustain those who respond to such training. “After you have suffered a little while,” the Bible assures us, “the God of all undeserved kindness . . . will himself finish your training, he will make you firm, he will make you strong.”—1 Peter 5:10.

Notice in this article, the WTS never explains in any detail what "apostate influences" are. Could teaching that Jesus and God were the superior authorities from 1929 to 1962, that the great tribulation began in 1914 and was temporarily suspended until 1970, that organ transplants were a disfellowshipping offense until 1980, constitute "apostate" teachings?

When Under Oppression

Q. 3. Why was the reign of King David not oppressive?

3. Let us first examine the circumstances under which Jeroboam came to be king. Proverbs 29:2 states: "When anyone wicked bears rule, the people sigh." Under the reign of King David of ancient Israel, people did not sigh. David was not perfect, but he was loyal to God and trusted in him. David's rulership was not oppressive. Jehovah made a covenant with David, saying: "Your house and your kingdom will certainly be
    steadfast to time indefinite before you; your very throne will become one firmly established to time indefinite."-2 Sam. 7:16.

David was not perfect is an understatement: adultery (his first son by Bathsheba was allowed by God to die), murder (his wives were raped to punish David); taking a census where 70,000 innocent people died (not David); and although adultery and murder were capital offenses under the Law, David kept living. I wonder if any other Israelites were shown the same mercy for murder and adultery?

Q. 4. Upon what did the blessings experienced during Solomon's rulership depend?

4. The rulership of David's son Solomon was initially so peaceful and prosperous that it could rightly foreshadow the future Millennial Reign of Christ Jesus. (Ps. 72:1, 17) Not one of the 12 tribes of Israel back then had reason to revolt. However, the blessings that Solomon and his subjects enjoyed were conditional. Jehovah had told Solomon: "If you will walk in my statutes and perform my judicial decisions and actually keep all my commandments by walking in them, I also shall certainly carry out my word with you that I spoke to David your father; and I shall indeed reside in the middle of the sons of Israel, and I shall not leave my people Israel." -1 Ki. 6:11-13.

Why use Solomon to foreshadow Christ---what about Melchidezek?

blessings are conditional--did David walk in God's statutes, his conditions ended up with the deaths and rape of others, not himself.

Q 5, 6. What resulted from Solomon's disloyalty to God?

5. In his old age, Solomon became unfaithful to Jehovah and began to engage in false worship. (1 Ki. 11:4-6) Gradually, Solomon ceased to obey Jehovah's laws and became increasingly oppressive. This happened to such an extent that after his death, peopIe complained about him to his son and successor, Rehoboam, and requested relief. (1 Ki. 12:4) How did Jehovah respond when Solomon became unfaithful?

unfaithful--false worship, does that equal "apostate"? If Solomon was apostate, will he be resurrected?

*** w05 7/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***
    What happened to Solomon when he died? The Bible answers: “The days that Solomon had reigned in Jerusalem over all Israel were forty years. Then Solomon lay down with his forefathers, and was buried in the City of David his father.” (1 Kings 11:42, 43) Hence, it seems reasonable to conclude that Solomon is in Sheol, or Hades, from which he will be resurrected.

6. The Bible tells us: "Jehovah came to be incensed at Solomon, because his heart had inclined away from ... the God of Israel, the one appearing to him twice." Jehovah told Solomon: "For the reason that ... you have not kept my covenant and my statutes that I laid in command upon you, I shall without fail rip the kingdom away from off you, and I shall certainly give it to your servant."-1 Ki. 11:9-11.

Note that only 10 kingdoms were given to Jeroboam and 2 left to Rehoboam. Did the Jews find less oppression in either?

Q. 7. Although Solomon was rejected, how did Jehovah care for His loyal ones?

7. Jehovah then sent the prophet Elijah to anoint a deliverer. That deliverer was Jeroboam, a capable man who worked in Solomon's government. Although Jehovah remained loyal to the Kingdom covenant made with David, He approved a governmental division among the 12 tribes. Ten tribes would be given to Jeroboam; two would remain with the family line of David, now represented by King Rehoboam. (1 Ki. 11:29-37; 12:16, 17, 21) Jehovah told Jeroboam: "It must occur that, if you obey all that [ shall command you, and you do walk in my ways and actually do what is right in my eyes by keeping my statutes and my commandments, just as David my servant did, I will also prove to be with you, and I will build you a lasting house, just as I have built for David, and I will give you Israel." (1 Ki. 11 :38) Jehovah acted in behalf of his people and provided a way of bringing them relief from oppression.

Jeroboam was "anointed" by Elijah and Jeroboam proved to be just as oppressive as Rehoboam. Where was the holy spirit in this selection. In

just one generation the king and people were not "loyal" to to covenant. The third and the fourth generations were to prize either.

Q. 8. What trials oppress God's people today?

8. Oppression and injustices abound today. "Man has dominated man to his injury," states Ecclesiastes 8:9. Greedy commerce and corrupt rulership may result in harsh economic conditions. Leaders in government, business, and religion often set a poor moral example. Like righteous Lot, therefore, God's loyal ones today are "greatly distressed by the indulgence of the law-defying people in loose conduct." (2 Pet. 2: 7)
    Moreover, as we quietly strive to live by godly standards, we often become the target of persecution by arrogant rulers.-2 Tim. 3: 1-5, 12.

You can imagine that the bailout in the US will get play with the phrase "greedy commerce and corrupt rulership may result in harsh economic
    conditions.

The Rutherfordian trinity of "government, business, and religion."

OT example--righteous Lot who chose to live in a wicked city because if was better for business, and later had sex with both his daughters (of course there was no Law against it yet!!!! Refer to Joseph who the WTS idealizes because he did not commit adultery although there was no Law.

Of course the WTS forgets that jws went enmass to small towns to "preach" on Sunday and fill up the jails not quite quietly living by godly
    standards.

And of course, only jws are the target of persecution and it is a proof of God's backing, right?

Q 9. (a) What has Jehovah already done to deliver his people? (b) Why can we be sure that Jesus will always be loyal to God?

9. We can be certain, though, of this fundamental truth: Jehovah will not leave his loyal ones! Just think of the steps he has already taken to replace the world's corrupt rulers. God's Messianic Kingdom in the hands of Christ Jesus has already been established. Jesus Christ has been ruling in heaven for close to a hundred years. Soon he will bring complete relief to those fearing God's name. (Read Revelation] 11: 15-18.) Jesus has already proved himself loyal to God to the point of death. He will never disappoint his subjects, as Solomon did.-Heb. 7:26; 1 Pet. 2:6.

Can you imagine what people think when jws say that Jesus is going to replace the world's corrupt rulers? Do non-jws know this?

Kingdom established when: 1874, 1878, 1914, 1915?

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/1914dates.htm

*** jv chap. 28 p. 632 Testing and Sifting From Within ***
    Based on the premise that events of the first century might find parallels in related events later, they also concluded that if Jesus’ baptism and anointing in the autumn of 29 C.E. paralleled the beginning of an invisible presence in 1874, then his riding into Jerusalem as King in the spring of 33 C.E. would point to the spring of 1878 as the time when he would assume his power as heavenly King.

SOON to obliterate (bring complete relief) all non-jws with the happy support of jws.

Q. 10. (a) How can we show that we appreciate God's Kingdom? (b) When undergoing trials, of what can we be confident?

10. God's Kingdom is a real government that will end all oppression. Our allegiance belongs to Jehovah God and his arrangement. With full confidence in the Kingdom, we repudiate the world's ungodliness and zealously pursue fine works. (Titus 2:12-14) We strive to remain without spot from this world. (2 Pet. 3:14) Whatever trials we may face at present, we can be confident that Jehovah will protect us from spiritual harm.
    (Read Psalm 97:10.) Moreover, Psalm 116:15 assures us: "Precious in the eyes of Jehovah is the death of his loyal ones." Jehovah's servants are so precious to him that he will not allow them to perish as a group.

"real government" although the word "government" is not in the bible (NWT).

"his arrangement"--the WTS, thus allegiance goes to them.

pursue fine works--turning in a time slip each month

without spot by hiding pedophiles in the WTS?

Notice the phrase is "not allow them to perish AS A GROUP" thus no individual jw can expect individual protection.

Q. 11. How did Jeroboam become disloyal?

11. King Jeroboam's rule could have brought some relief to God's people. Instead, his actions further tested their loyalty to God. Not content with the honor and privilege already given him, Jeroboam began to seek ways to strengthen his position. "If this people continues going up to render sacrifices in the house of Jehovah in Jerusalem," he reasoned, lithe heart of this people will also be bound to return to their lord; Rehoboam the king of Judah; and they will certainly kill me and return to Rehoboam the king of Judah." So Jeroboam established a new religion centered on two golden calves. "Then he placed the one in Bethel, and the other he put in Dan. And this thing came to be a cause for sin, and the people began to go before the one as far as Dan. And he began to make a house of high places and to make priests from the people in general, who did not happen to be of the sons of Levi." Jeroboam even invented his own day of "festival for the sons of Israel," and he proceeded "to make offerings
    upon the altar to make sacrificial smoke." -1 Ki. 12:26-33.

Jeroboam strenghthens his position choosing men not loyal to the Law to be priests. The WTS strengthens its position by choosing men who are loyal first to the WTS and not to the Bible. Their bible is the elder's guide and notes from the CO and DO.

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/flockbook/

Would you consider circuit assemblies and district conventions the same as Jeroboam inventing his own day and festivals? I do.

Q 12. What did God's loyal ones in the northern kingdom do when Jeroboam set up calf worship in Israel?

12. What would God's loyal ones in the northern kingdom do now? Like their faithful forefathers, the Levites living in cities given to them in the territory of the northern kingdom lost no time in reacting. (Ex. 32:2628; Num. 35:6-8; Deu!. 33:8, 9) Leaving their inheritances behind, they moved their families south to Judah, where they could continue to worship Jehovah without interference. (2 Chron. 11:13, 14) Other Israelites who had been living temporarily in Judah chose to remain there permanently instead of moving back home. (2 Chron. 10:17) Jehovah saw to it that the way back to true worship was kept open so that in later generations others from the northern kingdom could abandon calf worship and return to Judah.-2 Chron. 15:9-15.

Was there no apostasy in the 2-tribe kingdom? Note there is little explanation what apostasy was then compared to now.

*** it-1 p. 1108 High Places ***
    King Rehoboam followed the apostasy of his father Solomon, and his subjects continued building high places and practicing licentious rites. (1Ki 14:21-24) Rehoboam’s son and successor Abijam “went on walking in all the sins of his father.”—1Ki 15:1-3.

Q 13. In modern times, how have apostate influences tested God's people?

13 Apostates and their influences threaten God's people today. Some rulers have tried to set up their own form of State religion, pressuring their subjects to comply. Christendom's clergy and other presumptuous ones have tried to claim the spiritual priesthood for themselves. However, only among true Christians do we find genuine anointed ones, making up "a royal priesthood." -1 Pet. 2:9; Rev. 14:1-5.

So who are the apostates and their influences today....God's people = only jws. Are apostates, rulers and clergy? True Christians--only jws?

Genuine "anointed", the 9105 and increasing every year though the WTS teaches it should decrease---thus not all 9105 are "genuine"?

Q 14. What should be our response to apostate thinking?

14. Like the faithful Levites back in the tenth century B.C.E., God's loyal ones today are not deceived by apostate ideas. Anointed ones and their Christian associates are quick to avoid and reject apostate ideas. (Read Romams 16:17.) While we gladly submit to governmental authorities in secular matters and remain neutral in worldly conflicts, our loyalty goes to God's Kingdom. (John 18:36; Rom. 13:1-8) We reject the false claims
    of those who profess to be serving God and at the same time dishonor him by their conduct.-Titus 1:16.

What are the "apostate ideas"?

Reject false claims of those professing to serve God such as 1975?

Gladly submit--from 1929 to 1962 the WTS taught that God and Jesus were the superior authorities and said it was a good thing they believed
    the wrong thing.

Neutral--but the WTS associated itself with the UN from 1991 to 2001 as a non-governmental organization although teaching it was the scarlet colored wild beast in opposition to God and despite they had to support the UN charter allowing military action.

Q 15. Why does "the faithful and discreet slave" deserve our loyalty?

15. Think also of the fact that Jehovah has made it possible for honest hearted ones to move out of the wicked world, figuratively speaking, into the spiritual paradise that he has created. (2 Cor. 12:1-4) With hearts full of gratitude, we stay close to "the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time." Christ has appointed this slave "over all his belongings." (Matt. 24:45-47) Therefore, even if we as individuals do not fully understand a certain position taken by the slave class, that is no reason for us to reject it or return to Satan's world. Instead, loyalty will move us to act humbly and wait on Jehovah to clarify matters.

Everyone outside the WTS organization is "wicked"?

Did you know that the word "paradise" does not occur in the bible?

Suggested reading: Captive to a Concept, Don Cameron

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1411622103/ref=cm_rdp_product

Therefore, even if we as individuals do not fully understand a certain position taken by the slave class, that is no reason for us to reject it or return to Satan's world. Instead, loyalty will move us to act humbly and wait on Jehovah to clarify matters.

loyally...wait on Jehovah--a standard WTS phrase when a teaching is not understandable

1874-1878-1914-1915-1925-1975--1995 end of 1914 generation teaching
    Superior authorities
    Organ transplants
    1914 Generation
    (Add your own)

While Carrying Out God-Given Assignments

Q. 16. What assignment did a prophet from Judah receive?

16. Jehovah condemned Jeroboam for his apostate ways. He assigned a prophet from Judah to travel north to Bethel and appear before Jeroboam while he was officiating at his altar. The prophet was to deliver a devastating judgment message to Jeroboam. Undoubtedly, that was a challenging assignment.-1 Ki. 13:1-3.

What specifically were his apostate ways? What are they today?

So who was this prophet, who does he prefigure if anyone? (Next week)

Q 17. How did Jehovah protect his messenger?

17. Jeroboam flew into a rage upon hearing Jehovah's condemnation. He thrust out his hand at God's representative, screaming to men nearby: "You men, grab hold of him!" But instantly, before anyone could act, the "hand that he had thrust out against him became dried up, and he was not able to draw it back to himself. And the altar itself was ripped apart so that the fatty ashes were spilled out from the altar." Jeroboam was
    forced to ask the prophet to soften the face of Jehovah and pray that the dried-up hand be restored. The prophet did so, and the hand was healed. Thus Jehovah protected his messenger from harm.-1 Ki. 13:4-6.

I suppose that God literally, physically protected the prophet from being killed. So why not dry up the hands of attackers today? Would God answer the request of an apostate like Jeroboam?

Q. 18. How does Jehovah guard us as we fearlessly render sacred service to him?

18. As we loyally engage in the Kingdom-preaching and disciple-making work, we at times encounter an unfriendly, or even a hostile, response. (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20) But we must never allow the fear of rejection to dampen our zeal for the ministry. Like the unnamed prophet in Jeroboam's day, we have "the privilege of fearlessly rendering sacred service to [Jehovah] with loyalty." * (Luke 1:74, 75) Although we do not expect miraculous intervention today, Jehovah is still guarding and backing us as his Witnesses by means of his holy spirit and the angels. (Read John 14:15-17; Revelation 14:6.) God will never abandon those who fearlessly continue to speak his won!.-Phil. 1 :14,28.

"loyally engage" as prescribed by the WTS. What is more difficult, the "persecution" that validates the rank and file or the indifference?

Is it fear of rejection or feeling foolish and wasting time?

Don't expect miraculous intervention today although the WTS just used an example of such for the rank and file to have hope.

God will never abandon---where's Jesus in Matthew 28:20?

(Matthew 28:20) . . .. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

* Whether the prophet continues to obey Jehovah or not and what happens to him will be discussed in the following article.

Jehovah Will Guard His Loyal Ones

19, 20. (a) Why can we be sure that Jehovah will never leave us? (b) What questions will be discussed in the following article?

19. Jehovah is our loyal God. (Rev. 15:4; 16:5) He is "loyal in all his works." (Ps. 145: 17) And the Bible assures us: "He will guard the very way of his loyal ones." (Prov. 2:

So what are these apostate ideas?

20. What we individually need to reflect on now is this: What will help me to maintain my loyalty to Jehovah regardless of the trials or temptations that may come my way? In other words, how can I strengthen my loyalty to God?

Loyalty to God or the WTS?

How Would You Answer?

How has Jehovah shown that he does not leave his loyal ones when they experience oppression?
    How should we respond to apostates and their ideas?
    How does Jehovah guard his loyal ones as they engage in the Christian ministry?

CONCLUDING COMMENTS

This is the first of a 2 part series. Next week, Billy the ex-Bethelite has requested to do the Comments since it resonates with him. Loyalty to God = loyalty to the WTS is an old theme. The real point that is pushed is in paragraph 15, being loyal to the WTS even though you don't understand (or worse yet can see that it is not scriptural). It is a good thing that Paul confronted Peter over avoiding Gentile Christians. I don't see where he waited for the governing body to straighten things out. I find it also interesting that the WTS never defines what apostate ideas are, leaving the room open for the rank and file to put their own spin on it.
    Had frost here this morning, the frost was on the pumpkin.

James Whitcomb Riley. 1853–1916

10. "When the Frost is on the Punkin"

WHEN the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock,
    And you hear the kyouck and gobble of the struttin' turkey-cock,
    And the clackin' of the guineys, and the cluckin' of the hens,
    And the rooster's hallylooyer as he tiptoes on the fence;
    O, it's then the time a feller is a-feelin' at his best, 5
    With the risin' sun to greet him from a night of peaceful rest,
    As he leaves the house, bareheaded, and goes out to feed the stock,
    When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.

They's something kindo' harty-like about the atmusfere
    When the heat of summer's over and the coolin' fall is here— 10
    Of course we miss the flowers, and the blossoms on the trees,
    And the mumble of the hummin'-birds and buzzin' of the bees;
    But the air's so appetizin'; and the landscape through the haze
    Of a crisp and sunny morning of the airly autumn days
    Is a pictur' that no painter has the colorin' to mock— 15

The husky, rusty russel of the tossels of the corn,
    And the raspin' of the tangled leaves as golden as the morn;
    The stubble in the furries—kindo' lonesome-like, but still
    A-preachin' sermuns to us of the barns they growed to fill; 20
    The strawstack in the medder, and the reaper in the shed;
    The hosses in theyr stalls below—the clover overhead!—
    O, it sets my hart a-clickin' like the tickin' of a clock,

Then your apples all is gethered, and the ones a feller keeps 25
    Is poured around the cellar-floor in red and yaller heaps;
    And your cider-makin's over, and your wimmern-folks is through
    With theyr mince and apple-butter, and theyr souse and sausage too!...
    I don't know how to tell it—but ef such a thing could be
    As the angels wantin' boardin', and they'd call around on me— 30
    I'd want to 'commodate 'em—all the whole-indurin' flock—

Love, Blondie

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks Blondie for that exposition. I really liked the quotes you included after paragraph 1 establishing how the JW's loyalty is mainly (and blindly) to the WTS organization.

The Watchtower's tack in recent years has been trying to set up a mythic battle between Jehovah and apostates. (They used to concentrate on the invisible spiritual battle between Jehovah and Satan!!)

The fear of evil "apostates" is built up to a ridiculous level. I thought it was Satan the Devil making life so hard for JW's. No -- it's apostates and their reasonings. This article didn't associate bad ol' King Jeroboam with Satan the Devil, no -- he's equated to modern- day apostates!

In this whole lesson, I didn't see any example of how things turned out well for the Israelites who stayed close to Jehovah. I saw no proof that "loyalty" brought them rich blessings. I guess serving Jehovah is supposed to be a reward by itself. My guess is that the average Israelite was just trying to get along in their life and didn't care much who the national God was.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Thanks for your comments,

I love this sentence.

Although we do not expect miraculous intervention today, Jehovah is still guarding and backing us as his Witnesses by means of his holy spirit and the angels.

Jay dubble talk.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks Blondie,

Reading your comments early on a Saturday morning prepares me well for possible talking points throughout the weekend. They are much appreciated and help those of us still "in the trenches" trying to awaken JW family.

You said:

"loyally...wait on Jehovah--a standard WTS phrase when a teaching is not understandable"

Wait on Jehovah = keep your mouth shut or you'll be DFed.

Hmmm. Reminds me of some guy named Galileo. I'm sure glad the JWs aren't like the Catholic Church was a few hundred years ago. *insert eye-rolling emoticon here*

Thanks again Blondie,

om

• dozy
    dozy
    Christendom's clergy and other presumptuous ones have tried to claim the spiritual priesthood for themselves when really it belongs to us - a dozen or so men in Brooklyn , New York. Not that we are presumptous or anything. And yes - there are a few other "claimed" anointed ones around , but they either (1) aren't genuine anointed like us or (2) don't have God's spirit anyway ,so they don't count.

If we as individuals do not fully understand a certain position taken by the slave class, that is no reason for us to reject it or return to Satan's world . Instead, loyalty will move us to act humbly and wait on Jehovah to clarify matters.

Interesting that they refer to a certain position. This expression has always in the past been used to refer to particular teachings or bible explanations. One imagines that recent policy decisions , such as sending Bethelites home or scrapping meetings haven't gone down too well but to criticise the WTS for these is defined as disloyal.

• watson
    watson
    Whatever trials we may face at present, we can be confident that Jehovah will protect us from spiritual harm.
    (Read Psalm 97:10.) Moreover, Psalm 116:15 assures us: "Precious in the eyes of Jehovah is the death of his loyal ones." Jehovah's servants are so precious to him that he will not allow them to perish as a group.

Pretty much covered their "bum."

• jgnat
    jgnat

Great review.

I noted a few things myself as I sped through the underlining. I noted that the ways that Jehovah provides "superior" government is left undefined. Just as the ways that Solomon's subjects were oppressed is left undefined. Doesn't a just leader make sure that the burden is not too heavy, make sure all his subjects are fed, and that there is justice? How does the Watchtower leadership hold up to that measure? Not so very well.

Though the OT and NT prophets boldly spoke to the leadership of the day - both religous and secular - who can a regular Witness speak to if he sees an injustice in the organization? No-one, because he is told to blindly assume that the current leadership is spirit-led. That's not biblical, it's just plain foolish.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Great job Blondie, the most patient angel I know.

Note this:

---How inappropriate it would be to challenge or undermine the authority of appointed elders! You should also feel a sense of loyalty to “the faithful and discreet slave” and the agencies that are used to disseminate spiritual “food at the proper time.” (Matthew 24:45) Be quick to read and apply the information found in The Watchtower and its companion publications.---

Leave it to the janitors turned modern day princes in Brooklyn to use a PARABLE of Jesus about a mythical slave, turn it into doctrine, apply it to themselves, and then insist on LOYALTY to it as if it were God himself.
    Doubt this? Just recall how many times you have heard from the platform that obeying elders is the same as obeying Jehovah. Talk about delusions of grandeur, on an organization wide scale!!

I also noticed the reference to a "certain position"; of course, if they admit that it is DOCTRINE that is not understood, or gets changed, that puts it into a different light, doesn't it?

Sort of like describing past doctrine as comments, or statements about 1975. I was there; they weren't comments, they were deeply held beliefs based on indoctrination.

• bobld
    bobld

Thanks,Blondie You hit them right on the head.

May I add to Q15 because this really gets my goat."individuals do not fully understand a certain position taken by the slave class" Look I do not understand your position when you say the generation that saw 1914 will NOT pass away before the end WILL come.I said this this was not a bible teaching 30 years ago.So why should I wait for 20 years for you to define a generation only to change your defination of a generation again.Not only that but in 2000 you said the end was near because the (so called annointed fds was getting old ) and some would still be on the Earth before the end would come.When I read that article I said they will have to change their tune in 10 years.No I do not have to wait for some slave class that does not know it's ass from a hole in the ground.

Than you have the gull to say "loyalty will move us to act humbly and wait on Jehovah to clarify matters" Do not give me that BS wait on Jehovah because I know and understand Jehovah's view point on things.It is you who don't understand Jehovah and the Bible that is why you are so wishy washy and have to correct your misunderstanding so often.

Bob

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks Blondie , I loved your comparison with the "My country, right or wrong" quote....so true, so obvious when you no longer wear blinkers.

Our favourite paragraph :

Q 15. Why does "the faithful and discreet slave" deserve our loyalty?

15. Think also of the fact that Jehovah has made it possible for honest hearted ones to move out of the wicked world, figuratively speaking, into the spiritual paradise that he has created. (2 Cor. 12:1-4) With hearts full of gratitude, we stay close to "the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time." Christ has appointed this slave "over all his belongings." (Matt. 24:45-47) Therefore, even if we as individuals do not fully understand a certain position taken by the slave class, that is no reason for us to reject it or return to Satan's world. Instead, loyalty will move us to act humbly and wait on Jehovah to clarify matters.

So when they say "loyalty" they do not mean in the Biblical sense, they mean loyalty to a man made organisation of men..Was Nathan the prophet being disloyal to God when he denounced King David? Were the early Christians disloyal to God by leaving behind the Jewish faith and all that went with it?

Loyalty should be to that wonderful concept... The Truth ..If the WTB & TS no longer has it ..then we look elsewhere , that is being loyal to God..They can dismiss us as "apostates", but words do not hurt us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit