Holding hands during prayer.

by greenhornet 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I remember with some JW family's during prayer every one would hold hands around the table.
    What does this mean?
    I never liked it.
    I think it is like a cult or some pagan practice.
    Now that I am out of the box looking in, I find this practice weird.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do not see anything in your post.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I don't remember ever seeing any JWs doing this but I have noticed it on TV where the family would hold hands at the dinner table during a prayer.

Another thing that I always thought was odd was when people of other religions would hold their hands up in the air during sermons.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

The person who studied with me was one that practiced holding hands at the dinner table during a prayer prior to eating the meal.

• Aculama
    Aculama

I find the hand holding thing weird too. I even knew one lady who would end it with a sudden tighter grip and a flurry of sudden shaking. There is a verse in the Bible that refers to lifting up hly hands durring prayer though ( in reference to the earlier post ) 1 Tim 2:8.

• geevee
    geevee

In the mid seventies we were in a small country cong and it was almost mandatory that people in the same row hold hands...you were almost viewed as an apostate if you didn't... my brother used to hate having to hold my hand or my fathers!!!

Lame... like it made you more holy than others.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Never knew about other families at home, we never got out much, but it used to phase me at the meetings . If you did not always close your eyes the married couple in front of you may well clasp hands in the prayer, when they thought no one was looking .

Seemed they either were carrying out a ritual , or they just wanted a quick physical touch when they were supposed to be praying??

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Wow - a thread that has touched a raw nerve - in our KH some families virtually hug each other while praying - I hate it. I remember a couple that got baptized early 1980s and they went into the baptism pool together holding hands. Then it was banned. Your dedication is to God not to each other. Similarly with prayers. You are supposed to be praying to God not holding hands and making out.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

If you do this, just hope and HAHA pray that they really really did wash their hands after doing poopiedoos.

HB

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Never happened as a kid growing up but it was a big deal when I was married to a jw. When my wife (now ex) stopped holding my hand during prayer I knew she considered me an apostate.

I never saw whole rows holding hands. But I did see the shaking of the hands at the end of the prayer by some. All dumb usless exercises of faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit