Matthew Makes Another Error

by JosephAlward 109 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

RWC; You say "Is it the fault of God or the unwillingness of the people to believe?"

So, are you telling me that people from India are less likely to accept god's message?

They seem to be very interested in god, given the huge hold that Hinduism has on the country (apart from the North where you have notcable popluations of Seikhs and Muslim) and the fanatical belief that you see being demonstrated in religious ceremonies, so mayne they just don't accept YOUR god's message.

Are they some how intrinsically more inclined to be 'bad' than, say, people from North America? Or is the yoke of 'false religon' keeping them from knowing god.

If it is the 'yoke of false religion' keeping them from knowing god, what happens when they die?

You say "Josephus did mention Jesus as did Tactius."

Yes, and many Biblical scholars believe these are fraudulent entries. What about the complete lack of any mention of lots of dead people walking through Jerusalem, as mentioned in Matthew? Surely some contemporary historian would have mentioned that.

The lack of mentions of Jesus is like imagining that 911 could happen, and be forgotten about when the history books that cover today are written by historians alive now.

You say "The idea that Jim Jones and the others died for what they believed to be true is not the same thing as the apostles dying for what you are contemplating is something they knowingly made up." Please cite evidence that Jim Jones et.al. would accept that what they believed was "something they knowingly made up". Most of that ilk were nutters, and the word 'knowingly made up' and 'nutter' do not go together. Please prove that, say, Paul and John (as in the one who wrote Revelation) were not similary dellusional. They both saw visions... how can you know they were not 'nutters', when anyone who does that sort of thing nowadays is either a 'nutter' or a fraud. Oh, and please consider the possibility of self-engrandisement being a motive for fruad in early Biblical writers.

You ask for evidence that the supernatural abilities and events in other mythological stories were already there before the gospel was written; Greco-Roman mythology and Hindu mythology, all of which contains god-men, was written down before Jesus was (allegedly) born. Check this out at the local library.

pom; Merry Christmas to you too...!

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• RWC
    RWC

I am making no comment on the people of India. I was only answering your thought that God must be unfair if there are so many people here who do not believe him despite years of missionary work. For whatever reason they choose not to believe even though the opportunity to do so has been given to them is not God's fault, nor is his judgment unfair.

The argument that the Gospels were not written by the people they are named for is not founded. First, Matthew is dated between 50 and 60 A.D. a mere twenty years or so after Jesus lived.( This is based upon chapter 24:2 that mentions the fall of Jerusalem as a future event which took place in 70 A.D.). Matthew would have been known at the time to have been a tax collector who would not have been well liked by the Jewish population. There would not have been any additional credibility to include his name for a fake writer.It would have been much better for a fake writer to add the name Peter or Paul. Second, the other "Gospels" that did not become part of the canon were obviously written by others and were much later than the four that were included. Third, there is no question that Luke wrote Acts. In the beginning of Acts he mentions his other book written to the same person. Finally, the historian Papias wrote in A.D. 125 that John wrote his Gospel and the historian Irenaeus wrote in A.D. 180 the following:

"Matthew published his own Gospel among the Hebrews in their own tongue, when Peter and Paul were preaching the Gospel in Rome and founding the church there. After their departure, Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, himself handed down to us his writing the substance of Peter's preaching. Luke, the follower of Paul, set down in a book, the Gospel preached by his teacher. Then John, the disciple of the Lord, who also leaned on his breast, himself produced his Gospel while he was living at Ephesus in Asia"

It is clear that the people of their day knew that those whose names were attached to the Gospels were the authors. The idea that they may not be is a new one.

You are not correct to assume that Biblical scholars have discounted what Josephus and Tacitus wrote about Jesus. In fact Tacitus wrote "Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus..." Beyond this Jesus is mentioned by other early historians such as the Talmud, Pliny the Younger and others as a true historical figure.

The thought that because the Gospels were written decades after Jesus lived they could not have been accurate is not in keeping with other biographies of ancient people. For example, the first biography of Alexander the Great was written 400 years after his death. By comparison the Gospels were much, much , closer to the actual events. And they were written by people who were eyewitnesses or who interviewed eyewitnesses.

You misinterpret the question about other stories of mythology and how they relate to Jesus. What I was saying is that although these beings were in folklore before Jesus, did they have the specific attributes that Jesus had before he was written about or were attributes added to them in response to his existence? And is this proven by documents written before Jesus? Also, do not go on generalities about these beings and tie them to Jesus. Make sure the comparisons are detailed enough to warrant discussion.

The idea that Peter or Paul were not insane is not for me to prove. If you want to discount what they wrote as being the ideas from insane people, that would be for you to prove. But I will say that there is no evidence in the remainder of their lives that they were insane.

The idea that they died for what they knew to be true is said to defeat the thought that they made something up and than stuck to that lie until they died. Jim Jones is no comparison.He may have died for what he believed to be true, but do you think that he died for what he knew was a lie?

In various arguments you all have said that these men were either frauds, insane, dillusional but in good faith, or believed something to be an act they saw when they really didn't see it. What evidence do you have for any of these ideas? They are all just theories on ways to discount what these men wrote, but there is no evidence for any of them. The mountain of evidence is that these men wrote what they did because they knew it to be the truth and then went to their deaths because of it.

Joseph, your thought that the reasoning is circular is not correct. If Jesus did not exist, the skeptics back then would not have had to say they walked the sea of Galilee with him and he healed no one. They would simply say he never existed. The evidence shows otherwise.

As for "facts", what do you think the notion that Jesus was crucified by Pontious Pilot is? The name of his executioner is named. That fact could have easilty been refuted if it wasn't true.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I am making no comment on the people of India. I was only answering your thought that God must be unfair if there are so many people here who do not believe him despite years of missionary work. For whatever reason they choose not to believe even though the opportunity to do so has been given to them is not God's fault, nor is his judgment unfair.

And so, like so much chaff, the good people of India are tossed to the wind by the sixty-seven words (yes, I counted) of RWC.

*the all white, all christian cheering section gives a heartfelt golf clap*

But I smell vomit.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

SixofNine; I profoundly love that comment.

RWC; We obviously have different standards of proof, and SixofNine quite rightly points out your evasiveness of the moral issue behind the question I asked.

You also miss the point I make about visionaries; why do you believe Christian visionaries and not others, when there is equal proof (or rather, equal lack of proof) for the inspired nature of their visions.

But, this is going in circles. I obviously haven't convinced you, and you certainly haven't convinced me, and after today I will be online only occasionally for two weeks as I am on holiday, so, I think we should agree to disagree, unless you want to specifically address the two specific points in this post, which would be fair, as I feel you have avoided them, and you might not wnat me to retain this impression.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• RWC
    RWC

SixofNine, your comment shows where your heart is. By making a comment that you think I am a bigot do you really think you are making a point? Not only is it wrong about me, but it is also wrong about Christianity and the God we believe in. Do you really think that God wants the good people of India to not believe in him? Do you really think that the people who spend their lives in India (like Mother Theresa) trying to conduct missionary work really don't care about those people and "throw them out like the chaff"? Why then are there numerous Christian relief organizations working in India trying to help these people with food, shelter and other things they need?

If you think that atheists feel the same way about these people and their plight, give me the name of more than two atheist based organizations that are doing as much as the Christian based organizations are. Or would you rather just sit back and poke bigoted fun at the people who are trying to help them?

From personal experience I can tell you that it breaks their heart and from all accounts of God in the Bible it breaks his heart too that his message is being rejected. You may not agree with the judgment that is outlined in the Bible and you can use that as your excuse not to believe and that is your choice. But true Christians who are doing work in India truly love those people and are trying to help them. They understand the judgment they are trying to save them from and more importantly they understand the Heaven they are trying to get them to. They do not think of them as "chaff".

Do you even know the message that is expressed in Christianity before you make a comment like that?

Abaddon, the question you asked is not one of morality. If it is, whose morality? Your's, the man down the street? Is it your definition of morality that God should not apply his judgment evenly to everyone? Should he treat some people different? Or should his judgment be applied evenly across the board? I would think you would want him to apply his judgment fairly to everyone to be considered moral. He does, thus if you have heard the message and are of the age to decide for your self and you make the decision not to believe, that is your free will ( the free will he gave you according to the Bible). The consequences of that decision are what they are. But so are the consequences of making the different decision to believe. And those are great.

*and all of the christians of all colors yelled Amen and reached out to the bigoted atheists in love*

Do you know anything about Hinduism,Buddism, or Islam?. All of these religions are exclusive religions. They teach that their way is the only way to what they think is Heaven. Thus they believe if you believe in the way they do you will end up in their version of Hell. So is their God moral as you define it? Is their God treating all of the Christians immorally if they reject Hinduism?

The reason I believe the visonaries in the Bible is because those that have prophecized in the Bible through visions have had those prophecies come true.

Have a great holiday and thank those Christians who promoted Christmas for your time off. God Bless

• RWC
    RWC

Typo error. If you do not believe in Hinduism, Buddism, or Islam you will end up in their version of Hell. Sorry.

And one last comment to SIXOFNINE- I am not arrogant enough to believe that my words would cast judgment on anyone.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

RWC, you've offered as evidence of "Jesus" existence the fact that there's no record of anyone having said "he never existed."

They would simply say he never existed.
    However, it would not have been possible for anyone to say such a thing, would it? What if a writer were to claim that last month in your town there walked a miracle worker who expelled demons and cured the blind? You could not say that such a man never existed, could you? Thus, thirty years after the alleged miracle-workings of the fictional "Jesus," no one would step forward to say that this person did not exist, would they? How could they possibly know that?

Now, things would be quite different if there were extrabiblical accounts of the alleged miracles wrought by this "Jesus." If any of the historians of that time had recorded any of these events, then you would have a very strong case for the existence of "Jesus the miracle worker." However, there is nothing in the record, absolutely nothing.

How is the complete lack of corroborating statements to be explained? Why did nobody except Matthew "know" that the many saints rose up and visited the people in Jerusalem? Why did nobody but Matthew "know" that Herod had all the babies under the age of two years old who lived in Bethlehem and nearby towns slaughtered? Why did Josephus, the leading Jewish historian of that time, not know that John the Baptist's head was brought on a platter to the dinner table to please the wife of King Herod, but an unknown author, "Mark," did? Why were there no extrabiblical accounts of the miraculous feedings of the five thousand, then the four thousand, if they really happened? These thousands of people would have told stories that would have been passed down through the generations for a thousand years, but not ONE such story has reached us. Why?

Thus, if these events never happened, and Jesus never existed, it is not surprising that thirty years later nobody would be able to say they did NOT happen and that a “Jesus” did NOT exist, because such knowledge would have been impossible to have. On the other hand, if such miraculous events HAD actually happened, we would expect that they would have been reported, even hundreds of years after the fact, if they had actually occurred. There are no such records, and this is strong evidence that the “Jesus” in the gospel stories never existed.

RWC, if you wish to rebut my argument, I hope you will spend some time explaining why, for example, there’s no record of the slaughter of the innocent children of Bethlehem, or of the miraculous feedings, or of John the Baptist’s head on a platter. If you don’t believe there’s no record of these events, you may search the voluminous writings of the historian Josephus. You’ll find the stories of the slaughter, and the feedings, and the head on a platter in articles linked to in the web site listed below; on that same site you’ll also find a link to all of the writings of Josephus.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• RWC
    RWC

Joseph,

Your argument is illogical and it begs the question. You assume no one knew of Jesus' acts just because only a few chose to write them down. If Josephus was going to prove that Jesus did not exist he wrote at a time when he could have investigated those who were still alive and proven he never existed or never did the acts that others were attributing to him. Instead he acknowledged his existence and said that he was credited with doing many wonderful things. From his point of view he wouldn't say anything more. He had sold out his heritage to save his life when Rome took over Jerusalem and wrote from a slightly twisted viewpoint. Also, he did not believe in Jesus so why would he say more than he did? What other historians were out there writing history from which we could expect more written evidence? 50 A.D. is not 2001.

The same goes for the Roman historians. When they talked of Jesus they talkled about him in negative terms. Why would they recount what he did?

You say we have no prove of what Jesus did. We do. Its the Gospels. These were written years after the oral stories were passed down by eyewitnesses to the event. It was Jewish practice back then to pass history orally. They were good at it and particularly careful. Even the books of the old testament were not written at the time the events occurred, but the Jewish people accept them as being accurate.

If a miracle worker came into my town today and did alot of work and then thirty years later I wrote about what he did it would be easy to investigate whether it was true or not. Simply go to where I said it occurred and ask people if it ever happened. Thirty years is not that long particularly in ancient times.

Do you believe Alexander the Great did all that has been attributed to him when his first biography was written more than 400 years after his death?

You may chose not to believe the Gospels, but by your argument you would never be able to believe any written history.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward
    If Josephus was going to prove that Jesus did not exist he wrote at a time when he could have investigated those who were still alive and proven he never existed or never did the acts that others were attributing to him. Instead he acknowledged his existence and said that he was credited with doing many wonderful things. From his point of view he wouldn't say anything more. He had sold out his heritage to save his life when Rome took over Jerusalem and wrote from a slightly twisted viewpoint. Also, he did not believe in Jesus so why would he say more than he did? What other historians were out there writing history from which we could expect more written evidence? 50 A.D. is not 2001.

The same goes for the Roman historians. When they talked of Jesus they talked about him in negative terms. Why would they recount what he did?

The only acknowledgement Josephus made was his reference to "the so-called Christ, the brother of James." The few extra words about Jesus being a doer of wondrous things was added by Christian scribes many years later; all religious scholars--including all but the most die-hard fundamentalists--accept those words as forgery. If you will check the many links to articles which describe the evidence of forgery, you will see that your position is untenable.

Now, you imply that neither Josephus nor the Romans would have wished to refer to the “miracles” that Jesus allegedly performed because they didn’t want to do his movement any favor, but that doesn’t pass the test of common sense. If it were indeed true that all the folks in the first century were talking about the “miracle man” and his astonishing feats, then surely his enemies would want to put a negative spin on these stories. Ignoring such stories, if indeed they had been circulating (they weren’t) in the first century, would only lead people to believe that the enemies of Christianity had no defense against them, and that they must be true. What the Josephus and the Romans would have done if they had heard any of these stories is to ridicule them as nonsense: “What man of reason," they would laugh, “is going to believe that this miracle man put demons in a herd of pigs, causing them to drown themselves in panic?” (Matthew 8:31-34)

Or, “If this poor fellow Jesus really were the son of a god, then why did his god not give him the power to escape crucifixion?”

Thus, the fact that there is no record of Josephus or the Romans saying anything negative about the one who would be a threat to the Roman empire is strong evidence that nobody was talking about the “miracle man” in those days, and that’s because he didn’t exist. The stories about this “Jesus” were made up (perhaps in all sincerity by those who believed them) decades after the “Jesus” was alleged to have existed. The reason Josephus and the Romans didn’t bother to contradict the stories is that those stories were not circulating in the first century; there was nothing to refute.

You say we have no prove of what Jesus did. We do. Its the Gospels.
    These stories are not proof of anything more than what I’ve many times stated: An author or authors called “Mark” wrote fictional stories about the “son of God” which were based on events in the lives of certain divine figures of the Old Testament, such as Moses, Elisha, David. Matthew and Luke copied these stories, making modifications to them for reasons relating to their own personal agendas. If you don’t believe that Matthew and Luke copied Mark, just take a look at the stories which were in common to all three books, and explain why the wording is so similar. But, don’t let that sidetrack you; what I would hope you would try to do is explain why the story of the multiplication of the loaves is so similar to the one in the Old Testament, and why Jesus’ lament at Gethsemane mirrors the one by David after he had been betrayed by his friend. Almost all of the gospel’s “Jesus” stories are plagiarized stories from the Old Testament. Please pick just one of the stories which I analyzed (linked to on the web site listed in the signature) and explain why you don’t agree that the writers used the Old Testament as a “blueprint” for the creation of the man they called “Jesus.”

Do you believe Alexander the Great did all that has been attributed to him when his first biography was written more than 400 years after his death?
    Volumes of biographical and historical information about Alexander’s personal life and his wars have been published. We know when he was born, when he died, and which lands he conquered, and when they were conquered, what his armies ate, and when they ate. The list of things known about Alexander personally is very long, and is based on records kept by his friends and foes; if you don’t believe it, just do a web search on him. We know virtually nothing about Jesus outside of what the unknown gospel writers said about him in their propagandizing stories. If the gospel writers really were eyewitnesses to the miracles performed by Jesus, then common sense tells us that they would wish to present their credentials to the readers. The writers would have carefully described who they were, when and where they were born, where they lived, what they did for a living, and how they met "Jesus." They would also have given us a physical description of Jesus, so that we would know that this man actually existed physically, not just in their imaginations. None of this did any of the writers do, and that seems to be because they never once laid eyes on the man.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• RWC
    RWC

The argument that the authors of Mark and the other Gospels made up the stories from the old testmant makes no sense. First, the old testament references do not match the stories from the Gospels. To say so is an ad hoc argument that has no cause and effect analysis. Just because there is what you would consider a similar story in the old testament doesn't mean is was copied. Further, the stories that you say were copied are not even close. Second, the writers of the Gospels would have no reason to promote jesus as the Messiah falsely. he was not what the Jewish people were looking for. He never led an army and he never belived in overruling Roman authority. It makes no sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit