How come the US taxpayer has to bail out the greedy, immoral bankers

by yadda yadda 2 27 Replies latest jw friends

• hubert
    hubert
    I have an honest question about this (don't mean to be a wise-ass). How would this help people who've already moved out of their homes in the past 4 years and are now renting? The banks have taken a lot of those homes and re-sold them at a lower price to another buyer.

Good question, Gopher, and no, your not a wise-ass for asking it.

I haven't figured out that part of it yet. Anyone got any ideas?

Hubert

How about, give it to them with one condition, that it can ONLY be used towards another home of their choosing, in the same price range as the one they lost.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Because the disinterested and apathetic US taxpayer has elected bafoons to run their country for the past 30 years.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Because everybody wanted things that they could not really afford. And banks wanted more money, so they let everybody have crazy credit.

And now people can't pay off their crazy credit so they are losing their homes, and the banks are not getting their money so they are FAILING, and soon the entire US economy is going to crash into the ground.

Every single one of us is responsible for this mess. We voted in Bush for 8 years. WE let the banking system get deregulated. WE took out giant loans for homes we couldn't afford and charged up our credit cards and refinanced our homes over and over to live the good life, and WE were entirely appathetic to what was going on in Washington as long as things were going well for us. And now every single one of us is going to pay, big time.

I hope the people in Washington can come up with a plan that keeps us from another great depression. If they can do that it will be worth 700 Billion dollars. IF they can't, well...that's just going to suck for all of us, isn't it?

(PS: I have no debt to speak of, but as a citizen of this democracy who did not vote in the last elections, I accept my responsibility in this.)

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I have a better use for the 700 billion dollars. Take that money and pay half the mortgage for everyone that bought a home and defaulted because of nonpaymment in the last 4 years. (Someone came up with this suggestion already, but it wasn't discussed).

This way, they can keep their home, the bank gets half their money, and people should be able to keep up payments with a new lower mortgage rate, based on half the money owed.

Couldn't this work?

Seems better to put the money in the people's hands, instead of big business. Big business will just keep doing what they always do, screw the little guy.

Hubert

How is this fair? What about their neighbors who didn't over buy and are paying their mortgage? How about you give THEM a big chunk of money as a reward for their sound finachial habits and let the other guy default as he should? Then the guy who lost his house can rent a home, as he should, from the guy who knows how to live within his means and now has two houses.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    I have an honest question about this (don't mean to be a wise-ass). How would this help people who've already moved out of their homes in the past 4 years and are now renting? The banks have taken a lot of those homes and re-sold them at a lower price to another buyer.

Short answer is it doesn't. In the long run having the Government involved in the credit crunch it may be better because interest rates will be more stable, and also the Government has the patience they may be able to offer some sort of program in the future for people who were forclosed on to try and own a home.

Primarily this is simply bailing out those who's incomes depend on stock options. Which is why you keep hearing the biggest catch-phrase regarding this whole situation "Good for Wall St. but don't forget MAIN St.". The General public isn't stupid, they can tell if something is fishy even if they don't know why. The General public seems to also realize that essentially there is nothing for them in this bail-out. What effects stocks? A company's equity, now if banks own mortgages for houses who's value is decreasing, their equity goes down. They will have more owed money than capital, especially with people forclosing on houses. They already paid the previous owner of the house the exorbident price, and now they just lost money. That goes up to the stock market because now their stocks lost their value due to capital going down. If the government comes in with it's nearly unlimited capital, the stocks will then stay the same and probably go up.

Now here's where it's ridiculous I feel. The government bail out, "bail-out" is the perfect title for it. It will raise the stocks in time for the traders who had the potential to lose a great deal to then go and sell their stocks and invest in something more stable. The only possible morsel that will trickle down to the middle-class on this bail out is that our 401K and retirement funds will be a bit more stable. But most people's funds aren't in danger anyway, 401K plans and retirement funds are usually in pretty stable companies to begin with.

People should be protesting this alot more than they are. You know it's going to be passed too, our congress is far too attached to their lobbyists right now. On the bright side I think the general public is intelligent enough to realize this and I can see Washington getting changed a bit in the next election. Unless congress doesn't listen at all, in which case I would say I can see government being changed quite a bit.

• kwr
    kwr

This is all part of the plan by the New World Order to bankrupt the USA and force us to use the Amero currency that is coming out soon. The mortgage crisis was engineered by Bush & Co. to destroy the USA. This plan will not work and force the USA into bankruptcy.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I have a question for all you all who are against any emergency bail-out:

What do you think will happen to this country if there is no bail-out at all?

• Robdar
    Robdar

I have a better use for the 700 billion dollars. Take that money and pay half the mortgage for everyone that bought a home and defaulted because of nonpaymment in the last 4 years. (Someone came up with this suggestion already, but it wasn't discussed).

This way, they can keep their home, the bank gets half their money, and people should be able to keep up payments with a new lower mortgage rate, based on half the money owed.

Couldn't this work?

Seems better to put the money in the people's hands, instead of big business. Big business will just keep doing what they always do, screw the little guy.

Hi Hubert, the people who cannot afford their mortgage should't be in the home. Even if we help them out now, there is always the future to think of. If they cannot afford their house now, more than likely they will not be able to afford it later.

I do not think that we, as taxpayers, should pay for the ones who bought more house than they could afford and bought with subprime loans. They are also responsible for this mess and should have to pay for their choices same as the bankers and greedy goobers on wallstreet.

There are worse things than losing your home and living in a duplex, apartment, etc. Sometimes giving up the house is the very thing that sets people free financially.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I have a question for all you all who are against any emergency bail-out:

What do you think will happen to this country if there is no bail-out at all?

Same thing that is going to happen if we bail it all out. Just on a smaller scale. All the bail out is doing is digger us deeper into this hole Wamu went under Thursday night and was bought by JP Morgan on Friday. Have you noticed any big ripples or shake ups from the incident?

Everybody ought to listen to this link. It explains the situation very well. And no, it isn't an interview with Ron Paul, whom I no longer support as a presidential candidate:

http://dissentradio.com/radio/08_09_24_schiff.mp3

• Berean
    Berean

Here is a link touching on fractional-banking called The Money Changers. Very interesting reading.

http://www.ojczyzna.pl/BOOKS/the-money-changers-main.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit