Reading Steve Hassan's books has brought to mind the many ways Jehovah's Witnesses use fear and guilt catch phrases to keep the rank and file members from leaving the cult and gaining their freedom. See if you recognize some of these and if they produce fear or guilt.
1. " You have to keep up with the latest truths or you'll be left behind if you don't keep up with Jehovah's organization and new light ."
Translation : You won't be acceptable or spiritual if you don't do your personal study and keep up with new understandings . Guilt .
2. " If you are not advancing spiritually , ie, pioneering, ministerial servant, or elder - you are regressing and going backwards . "
Translation : You will be considered a weak , unacceptable publisher who others will avoid if you don't " advance " spiritually. Guilt.
3. " We as Jehovah's servants are a privileged and special people chosen to be saved into the paradise. "
Translation : If you are not a Jehovah's Witness you aren't privileged and special and won't be saved into the paradise. Fear.
4. " We have to follow the faithful and discreet slave as appointed as Jehovah's spokesman, even if we don't understand . "
Translation : You have to believe the " faithful slave " is Jehovah's spokesman or you will be disapproved. Fear.
5. " If anybody talks negatively about the organization - the attacks are coming from Satan. "
Translation : Anything you hear about the organization , don't believe it, they are lies inspired by Satan. Fear .
So these are a few " catch phrases " that come to my mind regarding the use of fear and guilt to prevent rank and file members from leaving the JW religion. Do you have some more to add to the list ? I invite each of you to add some you have heard as well. The more we make anybody aware of the tricky " catch phrases "- then by people being informed - hopefully they can avoid being sucked into the mind control cult that is Jehovah's Witnesses. As always- I look forward to your comments. Peace out to all and free thinking to all, Mr. Flipper