Gandhi's Seven Deadly Sins

by blondie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Gandhi's Seven Deadly Sins

Mohandas Karamachand Gandhi, one of the most influential figures in modern social and political activism, considered these traits to be the most spiritually perilous to humanity.

• Wealth without Work
    • Pleasure without Conscience
    • Science without Humanity
    • Knowledge without Character
    • Politics without Principle
    • Commerce without Morality
    • Worship without Sacrifice

Have you ever heard of these? Made Blondie think a little deeper.

Here are Steven Covey's comments on them.

http://www.mkgandhi.org/mgmnt.htm

Has anyone read or studied these and had it affect personally, how?

Love, Blondie

• snowbird
    snowbird

Have studied them.

I see the consequences of the 2nd and 5th all around me.

Sylvia

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thanks Blondie

• gumby
    gumby

Hi there Blondie, hope all is well.

I looked these over and the one I didn't understand was "Wealth without Work".

If a person inherited 100 million dollars, why would this be a sin? The others made sense to me except for this one. I realise many of the wealthy who never lifted a finger become/are on the rotton side, but not all.

I'm sure I'm seeing it different than he meant it

Gumby

• choosing life
    choosing life

Gandhi was a thoughtful man. i think the "wealth without work" applies more to gettng something for nothing, rather than inheriting money. The article applied it to manipulating the markets and pyramid schemes. Those that inherit wealth may be hard workers or not. Hi Gumby.

These are good to ponder, Blondie. The watchtower always liked to quote Gandhi about when all nations got together and practiced what was taught by Jesus on the sermon on the mount, they would solve the world's problems. Or something like that. Good advice too. Better than the watchtower.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

"Wealth without work" does not refer to the way the wealth was acquired, but the actions of the wealthy person. That is, even if one has wealth, they should still find productive work.

At least, that's my take...

• caliber
    caliber

Hi Blondie.

I love these moralizing pondering type of posts .

On the point of" wealth without work"

There is an old saying about family started companies..first generation starts it.. second builds it up

third generation will lose it ! So it can happen to those who didn't put in the time ,effort , learning,

the pit falls and dangers ..throw caution to the wind ..make foolish choices.. spend little effort

and needed time for continued success ! "Please don't feed the bears"

Caliber

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Wealth without Work.

Maybe it's the squandering and lack of appreciation for what has been given to someone. Many wealthy people find ways to give back to society in some way or form.

Others just gloat in their riches and treat the less-fortunate with disdain.

-Aude.

• caliber
    caliber

I think Gandhi's seven points is but a variation of the old watchtower outline about the evil world

the evils of the world (1) wealth (2) power (3) fame (4) pleasure seeking

politics

religion

commence

lustful pleasure seeking

to be replace in the "good Christian "by...

praise

glory

honorable- hard working physical pleasures

Caliber

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Regarding Number Five, I like this quote of his:

I have sacrificed no principle to gain a political advantage.

It would nice to see more 'so called servants of the state' with similar resolve.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit