Whose worse off, the rich or the poor?

by compound complex 20 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

A truly over-simplified question, perhaps, but one that has me pondering about the trickle-down effect. I realize that a person is worth something as a human being, and that irrespective of his faltering financial circumstance. He tries to maintain a positive outlook and find new ways to bring in some income. For those living at or below the federal poverty level, however, it is somewhat disconcerting to find their financially better-off clients unable to pay on time - or at all. This was never a problem among the ultrarich for whom I used to work. Used to work.

Maybe things are different for everyone out there nowadays. I remember the words:

When your neighbor loses his job, it's a recession. When you lose your job, it's a depression.
    If your wife loses her job, it's panic ...

Any thoughts?

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

When I got the boot in the 80's, the economy was doing well and materialism was rampant. My life was always poverty at the very lowest end of the spectrum. I didn't really belong there. People could see I was different. Those that had money that were witnesses were looking at me like I was a loser. This made them feel really good about themselves. Well now I've seen a lot of those pumped up shitheads, hit the skids and they arn't so high and mighty anymore.

This deflated there big egos. All of those things can disappear in an instant, and then where are you? Why should I be impressed with people that have it all, like those who run the federal reserve. Thats not impressive in the least. In fact it's profoundly pathetic. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just create money out of thin air. Thats not a job, it's a joke.

You look around at all the cars and wonder where all the money is coming from. I beleive a lot of it, is credit cards, and people are grossly in debt, for the most part. Then you have those that had everything given to them on a silver platter, from inheritance, or birth. Then you have those who work in cushy jobs and do zip to earn it. Or how about people, that have no talent like Lindsay Lohan, or Britney Spears, and make a million dollars walking out the door. Big deal, big deal, big deal.

How about the bailout of huge companies? These a holes scorn people on welfare, and yet they get huge government bailouts, which is 50 times more parasitc, and yet we have to bow to them.

It is all an illusion, and there are few that actually get the respect they deserve as a human, rather than the respect they get for something that makes them appear superior, when they are not.

Churches don't impress me either. They don't have to pay tax and they get all there money from people who struggle.

So to put things in perspective, it's not a good idea to be too hard on yourself when you see these things and wonder where you fit in as a human being.

• compound complex
    compound complex

ORIGINAL POST:

A truly over-simplified question, perhaps, but one that has me pondering about the trickle-down effect. I realize that a person is worth something as a human being, and that irrespective of his faltering financial circumstance. He tries to maintain a positive outlook and find new ways to bring in some income. For those living at or below the federal poverty level, however, it is somewhat disconcerting to find their financially better-off clients unable to pay on time - or at all. This was never a problem among the ultrarich for whom I used to work. Used to work.

Maybe things are different for everyone out there nowadays. I remember the words:

When your neighbor loses his job, it's a recession. When you lose your job, it's a depression.
    If your wife loses her job, it's panic ...

Any thoughts?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Tyrone. It was nice of you to answer and share your perspective.

CC

• jgnat
    jgnat

Integrity can't be bought. The smart poor hang on to their integrity because they know from personal, immediate experience that anything else can be stripped away.

For people who have abandoned integrity for the immediate and transitory reward of "living on credit", they are living on borrowed time. Do they have the fortitude to live poor? Because the day will come.

My daughter was complaining about the rising cost of food. She is having trouble sticking to her budget, a tight one at that. She also only eats fresh and organic. I heard myself rattle off a list of basics. Powdered milk, potatoes, and oatmeal in the cupboard. Eggs. Always have eggs. And flour. A little oil and margarine. I can cook magic at the end of the month with these few basics on hand. Breakfast, lunch, and supper. I also suggested maybe we grow a few more vegetables in our garden next summer.

Where did that all come from? I was reminiscing fondly from my days as a single parent. There are ways to survive. There are always ways.

• jgnat
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have no idea how the rich are faring other than I hearde on the news that Bill Gates and Warren Buffett aren't as rich as they used to be, still billionaires tho' . I only know how bad my family and I are faring, it's really bad folks. I'm down to my last dollars and trying to sell stuff just to make a bit of money. Won't stop the lights or water from going off...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, jgnat, for fixing the thread and for the recipes and Mrs. Jones for telling your story. As to who's worse off, well ... jgnat made that one clear!

Gratefully,

CoCo

• FairMind
    FairMind

Ultimately the rich and poor are equal since all people die. I think though that while one is living it is better to be well off materially as long as one’s viewpoint of life is balanced. The value of a persons life should not be based on their wealth but their moral and ethical integrity. These things being equal the wealthy man will in most instances have an easier course in life than a poor man.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    A pot of lentil soup and some homemade whole grain or corn bread is a wonderful meal.

Cornbread is a must on everyone's table down here. It really gives you stamina.

In fact, I'm convinced that's why most Black kids are such good athletes - they eat a lot of cornbread.

My 14-year old g'son can throw a football like any pro.

*donning helmet while flame throwers check their equipment*

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit