How old were you?

by DJK 23 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Gave my first presentation at the door (including scriptures) when I was 4. So it began long before that.

Coffee

• DJK
    DJK

I always wondered what it was like for children of other faith's. I knew of some children whose family were church goer's, went thru communion, Sunday school and some were participating in the choir against their will.

I was told many times about parent's teaching their children about Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter bunny. Children believed these thing's and later they are told they are not real. Young children are impressionable, they will believe almost anything if it presented to them by someone they trust, namely a parent. So it was in the back of mind that someday I would be told the bible wasn't true. For that reason I never believed in it.

Well the truth I expected to hear never came. The point of this thread isn't about the bible, fact or fiction. It's about indoctrination. Most everyone has received their religious indoctrination at a very young age, by people we trust and we never thought they were wrong. Our parent's were our greatest indoctrinater's, our brainwashers, maybe less credit or blame should be given to the Org they followed.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Like timothy, I was brought up from infancy with the Bible. Some of my earliest memories were of my Dad reading some passages right before the dinner prayer. As I got older and able to feed myself I began to drool over the smell of my mom's cooking and despise waiting for dad to read a chapter of whater bible book he was in. I was five when I just asked my mom to ask dad to please TURN OFF the Bible.....

It was around then that the watchtower drones stopped by our place and the bible was turned off......

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I have always been an avid reader - in this case, rather unfortunately.
    When I was 11 years old, my JW grandmother gave the family a gift subscription for the Watchtower and Awake.
    These were primarily intended for her son (i.e. my father), but I was the one who read the things.

By the time I was first contacted by the "brothers" three years later, I was already well and truly taken in by the spiel.

Jack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit