no sun spots?

by John Doe 19 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Drop in solar activity has potential effect for climate on earth.

The sun has reached a milestone not seen for nearly 100 years: an entire month has passed without a single visible sunspot being noted.

The event is significant as many climatologists now believe solar magnetic activity – which determines the number of sunspots -- is an influencing factor for climate on earth.

According to data from Mount Wilson Observatory, UCLA, more than an entire month has passed without a spot. The last time such an event occurred was June of 1913. Sunspot data has been collected since 1749.

When the sun is active, it's not uncommon to see sunspot numbers of 100 or more in a single month. Every 11 years, activity slows, and numbers briefly drop to near-zero. Normally sunspots return very quickly, as a new cycle begins.

But this year -- which corresponds to the start of Solar Cycle 24 -- has been extraordinarily long and quiet, with the first seven months averaging a sunspot number of only 3. August followed with none at all. The astonishing rapid drop of the past year has defied predictions, and caught nearly all astronomers by surprise.

More here.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Does no one have an opinion on this?

• Satanus
    Satanus

My opinion is 'yes'. Glad you asked')

S

• watson
    watson

So what man is doing has no effect on climate?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I firmly beleive sun activity is the predominating factor in the climate change question,,and more influencial than greenhouse gases.

But I'm a lay person when it comes to this subject.

• still-fading
    still-fading

Ya, I posted info on this in a Global warming thread. I was attacked and disfellowshipped as a man-made global warming non-believer. This whole topic is so dub-like. Bringing data that offers possible scenarios outside of man-made causes is like bringing proof that 607 is a false date. How dare I question the Governing Body (Al Gore)!!!!!!

• John Doe
    John Doe
    So what man is doing has no effect on climate?

I'll admit to skimming it, but I didn't see any stance on man's affect on climate. Wasn't this article strictly regarding solar activity?

• dawg
    dawg

I'm know little about this subject, but who cares about so called "global warming"?

Are you that are so damn certain about global warming not being true, not convinced that it's not good for the human animal to breathe crappy air? Do you deny that fossil fuels in the atmosphere are bad for us to breathe?

Do you that are so against cleaning up carbon based fuel emissions, not care that your loved ones are breathing polluted air?

What's more, do you all not agree that there are alternative and cleaner fuels that need to be examined, Especially given the fact that we are daily getting reamed in our backsides by a bunch of foolish Arabs?

I mean really, why are all of you that are so against this theory so damned pissed off about it? Why do all of you on the right want a worse world for mankind with dirty air, and why do you all spend hours upon hours trying to debunk a theory that calls for cleaner air?

I'm being sincere here, why are you guys against cleaner air, and cleaner ways to create energy? Whether Al Gore is an idiot or not really doesn't matter, calling for ways to create clean energy, ways to reduce carbon emissions in our atmosphere is a good thing right?

You on the right really confuse me sometimes, you say you love this country, but hate anything that can be done that may help it.

Point is, global warming or not, we need to find cleaner, renewable energy sources, we should be putting effort towards this goal; after we reduce carbon emissions, then we can have debate about global warming. But warming or not, I want clean air... you don't?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

dawg, it's all about change. Some people will do anything in their power to avoid having to change their lifestyle.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Dawg, are you addressing me? If so, you're mistaken. First of all, as I've already pointed out, I'm not on the right. Second of all, this has nothing to do with clean air--a concept which I am for, including regulating and decreasing emissions. Thirdly, this does have to do with solar activity and the unknown effect it may have on our climate. This is where this discussion should be headed. Not right wingers, left wingers, carbon emissions or Al Gore. I honestly don't understand why you feel a need to automatically go there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit