Did You Ever Regard The Elders As Loving Shepherds?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you think these men loved you?

• golf2
    golf2

It begs the question, how many of them are whole-souled to their responsible duties? Hmmmm, not the majority would be my answer.

Golf

• james_woods
    james_woods

This may come as a surprise to some - as most of you may know that I have no love for things Watchtower - but:

I think that a good part of them really were pretty honest guys and did try to take care of their flock as best they could, in their WT way - totally dysfunctional, totally untrained as pastors, without a clue as to reasonable ethics and theology.

But a good number, maybe 1/3 to 1/2, were indeed pretty decent and caring people, even if flawed as men of leadership.

The problem was, though, that the other half turned out to be greedy for power, narcissists, perverted lechers in moral comittee matters, and all kinds of other forms of mean-spiritedness.

And those bad apples were exactly the ones that always got selected for top parts on the assembly platform, presiding overseer, dominant elder on the committee, etc.

• heyfea
    heyfea

If they did, they had a funny way of showing in. All they wanted to do is snoop in my business while I was growing up.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Only 3 out of 15.

Sylvia

• asilentone
  • minimus
    minimus

Most elders have a self exalted view. It's hard to believe they truly love. But I did know a few who truly cared about the welfare of people.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

absolutely no -so I took the task on myself - very few elders are loving shepherds

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

While I was never dumb enough to believe they actually 'loved' me, in the early years before my rude awakening I did view them as 'loving' shepherds.

But, my illusion was shattered when I perceived a judgmental attitude and even a bias against me. I came to hate shepherding calls and refused them in later years. I am sure they listen to congregation gossip even though they claim they do not. The way you can tell is when there is a new elder who is friendly and then after many months you notice a more 'distant' cool attitude coming from them. I always wondered where that came from.

LHG

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Only when I was one !

To be fair I have known one or two that were excellent, remarkable men who did care and had real skills of leadership and teaching. They seem to be disappearing fast.

I am sure that the ones that are appointed these days suffer from being raised within The Borg and have never seen life outside.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit