• metatron
    metatron

Of course, this matter of appointment neglects what the
    Bible actually says -1 Tim. 5:22 "Never lay your hands
    hastily upon any man, neither be a sharer in the sins of
    others". While the Society technically admits this text
    is discussing congregation appointments, they see nothing
    wrong with flat assertions that "elders are appointed
    by holy spirit" - as at the past district assembly.

what else is new...

metatron

• Gopher
    Gopher

Amazing,

This isn't a new policy. Same thing happened here in a nearby congregation back in 1980. The congregation was reporting 50% of its publishers inactive, and the elders were failing to "take the lead" in the door-to-door ministry.

So the district overseer initiated the action, and one Sunday morning the congregation was presented with an announcement that all of its elders were removed, and that 4 elders from nearby congregations now comprised its brand new elder body!

At least one sincere, active elder was swept alongside in that "massacre". He was reappointed years later, most of the others are scattered between the two congregations that now share the same hall.

Again, the innocent suffer along with the ones who needed attention. All in the interests of making the WT Society look good and fair.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Gopher: Thanks for the additional experience. I never stated that this was "new" policy in removing the Elders. Rather, my point was about how a faithful Elder who raised the concern with the Society was also removed. And given the experience you know about, it shows that as you correctly point out, the innocent get run over along with the guilty. Thanks again. - Amazing

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

"Appointments are made by the Service Department using the recommendation of the local body of elder and the circuit overseer which in turn followed the qualifications that are in the Bible which was inspired by holy spirit."

YoYo, this sounds like you're saying that the elders and servants are really appointed by imperfect men who imperfectly apply what they imperfectly read in the Bible written by the Holy Spirit.

If this is really what you are admitting to, then it is one HUGE DIFFERENCE from what we were always told which is that the elders and servants are "directly appointed by Holy Spirit."

Which is it A or B? Because if it's A, then it makes sence why my husband was appointed a servant when he was lying by putting 10 hours a month on his time when he really only did 1. And that when the elders who are supposedly oh-so-guided by the HS didn't realize that it was I who was writing all those really good talks he was giving. And that it was I who was taking the lead in my household with the kids, etc. etc.

And if it is A, then let's tell it to everyone. I mean this is BIG news!!! It answers a lot of questions like why elders can remain elders when they are secretly raping their little girls. Or why elders remain elders (and I know one personally) when they are a serial rapist in a community -- of course then the HS reveals (or was it the police hmmmm) that he's a rapist when he gets arrested and subsequently convicted and sentenced to 25 years to life for every girl he raped (some under 12 years old). Now it all makes sense.

Thank you so much for clearing it up for us.

• blondie
    blondie

Over the last 50 years, I have personally known of only 2 times where an elder body was almost completely removed. In each case, one elder from the original body remained. I don't doubt what has been said previously, it just is not a universal policy in my experience.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

YoYoMama,

Simon: Appointments are made by the Service Department using the recommendation of the local body of elder and the circuit overseer which in turn followed the qualifications that are in the Bible which was inspired by holy spirit.
    Using that logic, the elder body in many churches are appointed by holy spirit. Many churches appoint their clergy based on the qualifications set out in the Bible. Hence, by your logic, the elders in these churches were appointed by holy spirit, since the Bible was inspired by holy spirit.

You indicated that you believe that JW elders are apporinted by God. Do you also believe that elders in other religions can be appointed by holy spirit? And if God appointed their elders, then obviously God approves of them. Hence, the JW faith cannot be the only faith approved of by Jehovah.

Richard

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Thanks, Amazing. I'll make good use of them.

LoneWolf

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• MissFit
    MissFit

Hmm..appointed by holy spirit? You be the judge. The more I read the more my eyes are opened. These chains are slipping off one by one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit