Justice #20 - Getting Run Over

by Amazing 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Justice #20 – Getting Run Over

Jesus said, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and anise and cummin, and have left undone the weightier matters of the law, justice, and mercy, and faith: but these you ought to have done, and not to have left the other undone." - Matt. 23:23

There was an Elder J who served as PO in a congregation where he had also been the Congregation Servant before the Elder arrangement. When the Elder arrangement was put into place, he managed to maneuver himself to be the PO. At the time the PO was supposed to rotate to allow another Elder to take the PO position. (This was long before the current system where the PO is once again a permanent position). During his years as de-facto permanent PO he engaged in some business that was not in the interest of the congregation. Along with that the congregation was not doing well, and service was down.

Brother D, an Elder who moved into the same congregation saw what was going. Elder D was very experienced, and had many good connections with the Watch Tower Society in New York. He documented the many problems, and after a few months finally called the Society, and followed this up by writing to the Society, fully describing the situation. Before long, a Special Committee was formed by the Society, and these Elders showed up to investigate the congregation.

The Special Committee agreed with Elder D that the problems were serious, and took action to remove Elder J, the PO. In fact Elder J was disfellowshipped. In saying this, I have to agree with the Society in removing Elder J as PO. I am not so sure about the DF action, but in light of all that allegations, I suppose that phase of it is a judgment call. But, the real problem is what followed.

Elder D was then notified that the entire Body of Elders (BOE) was being removed, including all the MS and several Reg. Pioneers. Elder D asked if this meant that he too was being removed, to which the Special Committee stated that he was. He asked why he would be removed as an Elder, since he did nothing wrong. And in fact were it not for his reporting the problems, the Society would not have had a clue. The Special Committee stated that it was necessary to make a clean sweep, and leave nothing for anyone to question. They felt that by removing all the Elders, the congregation would see that no favoritism would be shown. Fascinating!

I do take exception with the final aspect of this. If an Elder is doing his job in the interest of the Congregation, and makes this known to the Society, then I would think that he would be rewarded by being left in position to assist with the formation of a new BOE and this example would show that the Society is fair, and that those who are not guilty of any reproach will be judged with kindness.

But, all to often in my 25 years as a Jehovah’s Witness and Elder, I have seen all forms of unfairness and injustice resulting from strange logic that goes beyond reason. The above case is not among the more serious abuses. And Elder D did not let it get to him or discourage his faith in God. But all this is one of many examples where the legalistic and political thinking of men is far removed from the Christian faith they ostensibly profess. Such men claim to embrace the only brand of “True” Christianity, when in fact it is anything but true or Christian. - Amazing

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

How do we know that you are telling the story accurately?

Where you involved in any of the commitee meetings? Or did you just hear from someone else what happened? If you were not involved then how can you justly say that it was the wrong thing to do (that is to remove the whole BOE)?

• Simon
    Simon

But surely, all elder appointments and, er... de-appointments are by holy spirit?? (tongue firmly in cheek)

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi YoYo: I worked with and was a close personal friend of Elder D. I know him well enough to trust that his version is truthful. I also knew the PO, Elder J and some of his children. Also, a JW friend of mine, (he is no longer a JW) married one of Elder J's daughters. The account is well known in the area, and so over time I was able to verify most of it. The main point is not whether the Society was right in removing the whole BOE, but their unjustified removal Elder D, whom I trust and respect. - Amzing

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hello, Amazing,

I want you to know that even though I haven't commented much on these things, that I really appreciate your Justice series. I too have seen many things that left me aching in heart.

Are these to be combined in some way or forum so that we can refer back to them? I think that they could be invaluable in many ways.

Cheers,

LoneWolf

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

I see your point. Did Elder D ever become an elder again?

Simon: Appointments are made by the Service Department using the recommendation of the local body of elder and the circuit overseer which in turn followed the qualifications that are in the Bible which was inspired by holy spirit.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi YoYo: Elder D may have become an Elder again. But with his wife's health issues, and their plans to move, I don't know if he ever became an Elder again. We lost touch after large lay-offs at our main office. He left the company about 4 years before I did. And then I moved to Oregon, so I have not spoken to him in a long time. Then I also left the organization, and I am not sure if I ran into him if he would speak to me.

PS: I think Simon understands the 'Official' party line as to how the Society claims that Elders are appointed by Holy Spirit. But, many JWs and ex-JWs see that the process is truly anything but Holy or Spirit Directed. - Amzing

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Lonewolf: If you click on the search line on JWD forum, and set it for 1 year back, and then type in Justice, you will get about 18 to 20 pages. As you scroll through each page you will see all of my Justice posts, and the various comments - and a few who didn't like what I weote. I think that Kent may have placed some of my Justice Series on his site. But, eventually, I might publish them all on a site, or a book of somekind. - Amazing

• Oldhippie
    Oldhippie

YoYoMama,
    I recently made the comment to a CO that when serving as an elder I always felt that if we were to make a mistake in judgement, it would be far better to err on the side of mercy. His response was that the elders are appointed by holy spirit, any decision they make is made only after a request for assistance by the holy spirit thus they make decisions with the confidence that the holy spirit has guided them and they are correct in their decision. Thus they do not err. It seems a bit like the two main rules for getting ahead at your job....
    Rule #1: The boss is always right.
    Rule #2: If the boss is wrong, refer to rule #1.

• cynicus
    cynicus

I've seen a similar situation from nearby. In this case all of the BOE was remove due to two members having a dispute. Some chose sides, some remained neutral. All of 'em were removed. A new BOE was formed from elders lent from other congos.

Under this body a new elder was instated --- who was MS during under the removed BOE. After some years it was time to reinstate some of the original BOE members, since things had settled down and the lent elders were needed in their own congs. The MS who became an elder had also -- unknowing to the BOE who instated him -- chosen sides in the earlier dispute. He vindicatively vetoed all elder proposals from the opposing side for many years and no-one could do anything about it, until he was finally removed himself due to unrelated matters.

Appointed by the spirit? Hah! Unanimous vote in the BOE is what appoints an elder. The only 'spirit' involved is the wine they had over dinner before the meeting. [8>]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit