Do you believe in life after death?

by cameo-d 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Being raised a JW I naturally believed there was nothing - just 'sleep' - peace and quiet (which doesn't sound all that bad sometimes.)

However, I am reading the book, "Closer To The Light, Learning From the Near-Death Experiences of Children" by Melvin Morse, M.D.

Interesting stuff. Can't say it has convinced me there is an afterlife but it does sound intriguing and when I die if something like that happens at least I will understand what's going on.

Personally, I never did like the idea of dead people being in heaven looking down watching me. I never understood why believing that comforted some people.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    However, I am reading the book, "Closer To The Light, Learning From the Near-Death Experiences of Children" by Melvin Morse, M.D.

I read this. It's an excellent book and I have recommended it here at JWD several times. It's by a doctor in Seattle who has researched this subject. I can recommend other books as well.

• gymbob
    gymbob

How does a doctor research a subject there is no evidence of? I'm just curious, not trying to be a smart***.

How does a person reseach life after death? Isn't that something we are all doing? Maybe I should shut up and read the book.......

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Life will go on when I'm dead.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

How does a doctor research a subject there is no evidence of? I'm just curious, not trying to be a smart***.

How does a person reseach life after death? Isn't that something we are all doing? Maybe I should shut up and read the book.......

He has compiled experiences of patients, mostly children and some adults, with near death experiences. It's been a while since I read this book, but as I recall many, if not all, of the experiences were related to doctors and nurses. Some of the things the patients saw and heard during their experiences were things they could not have possibly known unless they were present/conscious with their eyes open at the time. In one experience, a woman saw a shoe on a ledge outside of one of the doctors' offices. There was no window near the shoe and the patient could not have seen the shoe any other way. The doctor, a woman, could not see the shoe from her office, so she crawled out of the window and along the ledge and looked around the corner and there was the shoe. The book also relates death bed visions from records and related by doctors, nurses and family. One of the experiences had to do with a dying patient. This patient's room was across from the fire exit stairs. There was a glass window in the door and the patient could see "angels" walking down the stairs, to come for him. The patient told the medical staff and family about the angels. As they looked, they heard some glass breaking. There had been a bottle standing on the stairs and the angels knocked it off as they passed it. I'd recommend reading the book. It's encouraging because it is written by a well respected doctor. He does include a chapter with opposing views such as the ones the society often quotes in their literature, claiming the patients are halucinating. Judge for yourself and take from the book what you will. For me, the book was fascinating and helpful. I was pleased to find that the society gives only one view of the medical community on near death experiences and death bed visions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit