Elder Using Innuendos at Every Single Opportunity

by Tempest in a Teacup 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup

There's this elder in my hall. In his comments and talks, he loves to include the kind of details that would leave listeners wondering who his comment/talk is about. He seems to see himself as a jw behaviour expert and drops titbits whenever he's behind the mic.

With his wording and 'insider details', totally unnecessary (often unrelated to the topic being discussed but which he always finds a way to force in) he loves to generate 'suspense' and mystery. IMO some of the things he talks about could have happened long ago yet he'd present them as fresh issues. For example he'd go like:

"When we're told to do............, some of us rather reason that..........,and do......... instead." etc etc etc

I mean he does this systematically for reasons best known to him...sometimes I wonder if he isn't just cooking some of it himself.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hmmm, my guess would be that he's winging it on his parts but trying to make it interesting. Maybe some of these are from remarks he's heard from the sheeples. Nothing like a good beating from the platform to keep them in line.

Really, most of the WT articles and talks are recycled from within the previous 4 months to 2 years. It's mind-numbingly boring crap. Personally, I would try to include some bit of humor to keep my parts lively. Maybe this dude is trying to make his parts more lively by making them speculative or dropping hints that someone in the congregation should be "marked" or something.

• kairos
    kairos
    Make a recording please.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Isn't it strange that when it suits them they can let slip all sorts of personal insider details that they really shouldn't be talking about, that were probably told to them in confidence and people could probably be recognised from if given a little thought.

Ask them to warn the congregation of the presence of a paedophile so that children can be protected and all of a sudden they cannot breach confidentiality.

• steve2
    steve2

He's using that old dreary trick from Toastmasters:

Invent examples to back up your point; it matters not if the examples are true or otherwise because your audience laps 'em up, they make you look knowledgeable and they drive home your point.

The only drawback from inventing examples is that people with active brains see right through them, damn it!

• Listener
    Listener
    Sounds like he has all the makings of a CO, he's trying to put himself on the same pedestal.
  • shadow
    shadow

the old "titbits" gimmick, eh? no doubt guaranteed to liven up any meeting in the USA!

over here elders often use the very similar "tidbits" routine

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Haha listener!

Great comment!

Indeed, if a "regular" witness goes "off-script" they will get counselled.... But if an elder, or a CO does the same, it will be applauded as "wonderful"!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

He learned it from the GB members, probably fancies himself a kindred spirit. I mean, who wouldn't want to be like Ol' Rubberface, Stephen Lett!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    A lil gossip never hurt a talk, ever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit