How Were "Sisters" Treated In Your Hall?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

In my Hall, there were a number of females who were more qualified to run a Hall than were some of the elders. Certain elders expressed their intimidation of these females by picking on them, to correct them, if they possibly could. As long as a "sister" was "submissive", she was wonderful! But if she was one that told you she disagreed with you or "questioned" you, she was on the swh*t list.

How were the women treated in your congregation???

• Mandette
    Mandette

I was too independent. I shouldn't want to buy my own home without being married. I shouldn't want a career. I shouldn't go to college. I should move home and live with my parents. I should work part-time.

And it goes on and on and on....

GAG

Mandette

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

pioneer sisters and elders wives - very well

• minimus
    minimus

Elders feel they have a RIGHT to tell females what they should do. Of course, not just females.

• minimus
    minimus

Some elder's wives were much sharper than their husbands and certain elders did not like it.

• blondie
    blondie

Which one, what time period?

I was in a congregation where a sister moderated a book study, was the "accounts servant, magazine servant, literature servant." A real lack of brothers

I have seen sisters in some congregations as an individual read the paragraphs at a book study without being required to wear a head covering.

In one congregation, a sister audited the congregation accounts.

In one a sister did accounts but had to hide it by having her husband sign it and announce it.

In one the BOE wanted sisters to do the mikes but the CO forbade it and ordered the elders to do it.

In one a sister also did sound, accounts, magazine/literature/territory because there was only one elder and no qualified baptized brothers. No way could he do everything.

Some men were appreciate of what the women could contribute and did not treat them like lobotomized dolls. Like many things in the WTS policies are not applied uniformly but at the discretion of the local elders (and at times the heavy hand of a CO or DO).

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, I guess there were no males in these Halls "qualified". to do this stuff.

• yknot
    yknot

In my first: Wonderfully! The Brothres valued the women and their contribution to the KH. While not equal in this system, they recognized that one day under Christ we all would be. Jehovah loved everyone equally, all were valuable, needed and wanted!

In my second: Hank of hair, bag of bones to be endured and preferrably in silence while at the KH. The hours spent in FS, an expectation never fully satisfied... more more more you lazy worthless harlots!... and keep those pesky children quiet and obedient as the Von Trapps too!

Now picture a 57 year old man arguing doctrine and practices vigorously with a 7 year old every week until she is 21. Maybe it is me, but it seems kinda weak for such a man to be trying to bully a child....but such was my life and it picked back up at 25 and lasted until he was placed in a nurisng home...... did he ever win an argument.....nope.

What is up with men bullying children anyways...... my principle & stepfather did the same thing! Really if a seven year old can kick your ass in a war of words why keep approaching the seven year old? Why not just slink off and man up! It is not really appropriate for any man to be engaging in debate with a child, especially if he has to resort to slander to seek support from other adults in his persecution of the child.

Is it any wonder that I consider most men in my KH weak wannabes?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Some elder's wives were much sharper than their husbands and certain elders did not like it. ABSOLUTELY

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If a woman can run a household which they do, they are extremely organized. They in general can be far better at running a KH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit