My Guarantee........................

by Warlock 51 Replies latest jw friends

• RAF
    RAF
    I guarantee you, if everyone in the United States were allowed to carry a gun on their hip, people would treat each other with alot more respect.

You would still have those who think and those who don't before to act, those who care, and those who don't (about whatever), bold and weak once (and bold doesn't mean armed from head to toes, at all) ... but more simply you have those who respect others (because it is their main principle) and those who don't (armed or not).

What's in our hands doesn't change what's in our heads, but what's in our hands may talk about what's in our head according to what we do with it

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I once read somewhere that our homes have one of two (implied) signs on them:

Sign #1 - "We are unarmed and defenseless. Please don't hurt us."

or

Sign #2 - "We are armed and will defend ourselves. Please don't make us hurt you."

I saw a bumper sticker last week, that read: "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun." Another one reads, "If guns kill people, then forks made Rosie O'Donnell fat."

In all seriousness, however, when I was a JW, I didn't own a gun. (I do know quite a few JWs that own rifles and shotguns for home defense. There is a stigma attached to handguns.) I once believed that I had angelic protection. What's more, I believed that if I should die at the hands of a criminal, I would instantly awake into a Paradise earth. Well, needless to say, I've thrown away some of the previous foolish beliefs. I also now have two small children. Were I ever to be in a situation in which having a weapon (and the necessary training to effectively use it) would save the life of a family member, it will have all been worth it. I own a gun because criminals exist and I could be a victim. The gun in no way gives me a false sense of security. The most powerful weapon that we all have is our brain. It's best to see trouble coming and avoid it or flee the scene. Having a gun does not change that. However, there are circumstances, such as changing a flat tire on a remote road, in which you can literally be a 'sitting duck' for a potential attacker. (Yes, I live in a very rural area.) So, what I'm trying to say is this: in a limited number of scenarios, having a weapon and the skills to use it, could very well save your life. A firearm is a tool. It does not imply that the bearer is an agressor or looking for trouble.

Human life is special. I hope I never have to fire my weapon at a human being. Moreover, I've taken practical steps to avoid confrontation. I live in a good neighborhood and I don't travel into the nearby large city after dark. Here is the thing, though. Should a human LOWER himself to the status of wild animal, by attacking me or my family, putting me in bodily danger, I will put him DOWN just like I would an attacking wild animal. (Refer to Sign #2 above.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit