For Those Who Donate Blood: Do You Feel It's Your Duty

by Nosferatu 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Today, I decided to go donate blood for the second time ever.

It's really weird. I don't normally volunteer for anything, but I happily volunteer to donate blood. I almost feel it's my duty as an ex-JW, just to help make up for all the JWs who don't donate.

Do any of you feel the same way?

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I don't feel it's a duty, but I do feel I want to go and do it simply because it's helpful and I haven't done it as yet, and it's another thing I can do that I used to believe I shouldn't and I like extending myself into new territory. If it's like other things I've done, it will feel fairly natural and be a non-event for me.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

My husband does. He calls it charity.

I still can't do it..it kinda makes me sick to even think about.

lisa

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I would be happy to, but I was informed by the Red Cross several years ago that I should never donate blood. I had jaunice from a bad gall bladder, and I guess it's too high risk.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i think it is a duty, but not from the perspective
    of having been in the b0rg.... i was well into
    my second gallon of donations before i became
    assimilated

it is just one more of the things I gave up
    to cognitive dissonance and to which
    i happily return.....

• Honesty
    Honesty

No.

I donate because it does save people's lives.

• peggy
    peggy

I watched 5 bags of whole red blood cells being infused into my daughter just one month ago. I have NEVER been so GRATEFUL for the GIFT of BLOOD in my life!

I watched the life drain from my daughter just two days after giving birth. She was rushed to the ER holding firm to her belief that blood was sacred, she wanted NO blood. She realized that she was critical and that she would not be raising her prescious son. She relented at the last moments of her life. THANK GOD! Her husband backed her desire to LIVE and she received the life SAVING treatment. I watched her lips go from WHITE to pink and I knew there was hope!

She spent 3 days in ICU and 6 more in the hospital. She is back to health physically but suffering emotionally.

We have had many talks about the blood issue since. We both feel a need and a duty to donate blood!

I understand the issues involved in making a mental change after a lifetime with the BLOOD beliefs. It isn't an easy decision.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

The first time I donated was just a few days before Christmas. I figured the best gift I could give someone was to donate at an extreme time of need. Donating blood helps keep 3 people alive. It also helps me in many ways. They check your blood for abnormalities every 56 days or so. It also forces your body to replenish it's supply.

My JW co worker asked me last year how much they paid me to donate. That's just about the dumbest question a JW had ever asked me.

I have donated 41 times and will donate 2 more times this year. Yes, the needle does hurt a bit, but its discomfort is only momentary.

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

I just did this for the first time a recently. I didn't really feel it was my 'duty' per se, but I did feel it was the right thing to do. Even JW's will take blood fractions, and that has to come from blood. So I felt great about giving it. It was relatively painless (hurt less than having blood drawn for blood test at the doctor's). I will do it again, but I probably will not be one of those every 8-week type of donors. Who knows, maybe I will. It feels good to know that you may have saved somebody's life.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Nos...I don't think of it being necessarily "a duty", but, I understand how a person can feel that way. We are, after all, humans that should try to help each other by giving of ourselves. I can't imagine a more personal 'giving.' My never-been-a-dub new wife has given many times, just last week we read a notice of a community blood drive that's coming up -- I intend to donate for the first time.

Peggy

I watched 5 bags of whole red blood cells being infused into my daughter just one month ago. I have NEVER been so GRATEFUL for the GIFT of BLOOD in my life!

I watched the life drain from my daughter just two days after giving birth. She was rushed to the ER holding firm to her belief that blood was sacred, she wanted NO blood. She realized that she was critical and that she would not be raising her prescious son. She relented at the last moments of her life. THANK GOD! Her husband backed her desire to LIVE and she received the life SAVING treatment. I watched her lips go from WHITE to pink and I knew there was hope!

I am very moved by your story...my JW mom didn't get that life saving blood, so, we stood by and watched all the color fade from her rosy features...and die. In a perfectly good hospital filled with eager, learned doctors & nurses equipped with all the great technologies humans have created to help other humans live. Someone had kindly donated their blood and it was sitting right there in the hospital's blood bank -- ready at a moments notice to save a life.

It went unused.

Peggy, I am so happy for you, your family and your daughter that her good sense and motherly instinct kicked in and threw the murderous Governing Body's ideology out !

You did a GREAT JOB ! We're proud of you -- that is true heroism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit