the seventy year thing

by logic 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

You lost me at "thing" I think I need a Coffee.

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

Everytime you bring it up to any Witness (that's competent enough to even discuss it in the first place), they always just say, "Well it's IMPLIED that the 70 years referred to exile." Kinda the same way the Watchtower uses the words "evidently" and "apparantly". LOL

• garybuss
    garybuss

None of it, 70 years, pyramids, ghosts, gods, myth, magic, old books, or antitypes matter . . . except in the delusions of superstition and tradition. None if it is relevant today. Seventy years is only significant to numerologists. Ghost stories are only important to spiritism. Myths and magic are only important to mystics and defectives.

Anti-types is just an invention of a restless narcissistic, omnipotent, egocentric psychotic. Think about it. If the type is based on superstition and myth, the anti-type is a double delusion. Not real.

None of it is real.

• scholar
    scholar

Alleymom

Post 787

Yes I have. Our interpretation is the only one that works, is in harmony with the Bible and Josephus.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

logic

Post 217

My logic is sound. Our explanation of the seventry years is simple and consistent with all of the seventy year texts and it hgas a definite beginning and end whereas the alternative interpretations offered by higher critics and apostates are fuzzy at both ends. Their models do not work and that is why they prefer to view the seventy years as a round number or a symbolic term so where is the logic in that?

My 'scholar style' proves that 607 BCE is the only correct date because it is the only date that works according to chronology, history and theology. Speculations about what would have happened to the Israelites if they remained faithful does not help matters because this is simply a hypothetical, sound chronology is based upon history and facts leaving no room for 'might-be's or 'may-be's'. The fact of the matter is tghat the seventy years was a period of servitude, exile and servitude all co-joined together.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Doug Mason

Post 506

There is no place for 'higher criticism' in the understanding of any book of the Bible and 'lower criticism is also suspect. The only methodology is one that upholds the Inspiration and Inerrancy of the Bible and this is the view of the 'celebrated WT schoilars'.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Mary

Post 9866

Sweet Mary! Scholar ignores no such evidence because he has read everything published on the subject and has well proven the fact of 607 BCE. The Bible completely agrees with our position as any reader can easily determine besides it is well demonstrated by the facts of fulfilled prophecy culminating in that epochal year 1914.

scholar JW

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Scholar,

Sorry, but I do not believe that God dictated the precise words that became Scripture. I believe men were inspired to write words using the style, language and understandings that were understood in the culture they lived in. I thus do not believe in literal inspiration. I believe it is necessary to know the times, the concepts, the understandings of the times that pertained when a particular piece of Scripture was written and edited.

As far as Lower Criticism is concerned, the GB/WTS does employ it. As an example, it claims that its action of inserting "Jehovah" into its NT reflects the original wording. So don't tell me that they do not employ Lower Criticism!

I do not believe in the PESHER mode of interpretation employed by eschatologists, who see Scripture as being written about them, and usually solely about them. Pesher failed with the people of the DSS and also with all those of the succeeding centuries, including our own. I think that the GB/WTS throws tantrums about "Higher Criticism" in an effort to deflect focus on its fallacious and selective Pesher methodology.

Doug

• logic
    logic

Scholar , I love the way you never answer a question directly. That makes it easy for you to say you wern't wrong. But I still say you are not who you say you are, but I will still play along. So answer my question, if the isrealites had obeyed god would they have been devestated? I know that you know the answer. Did not god say they could stay on their land if they obeyed? And the second question . If they obeyed up untill one year before 539 how long would they have been devestated.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Yes I have. Our interpretation is the only one that works, is in harmony with the Bible and Josephus.

I have a complete tabulation spanning hundreds of years fully anotated with biblical references that proves otherwise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit