Your thoughts on this letter please.

by sleepy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Here is an excerpt from a letter from the society.

Jehovah has endowed us with free will. As such he has implanted in us the faculty of choice. He does not force us to act or think in a certain way, nor does he employ his sevants to do so ( 2 Cor 3:17)
    The fact that he requires his worshippers to have "oneness in the faith and in the accurate knowledge of the son of God" does not mean that we can no longer think for ourselves.(Eph 4:3)It does though mean that we recognise the wonderful provision that he has made to reveal truth through "the faithful and discrete slave."
    As the reasoning book explians on pg 205: "Jesus said he would have on earth a "faithful and discrete slave"( His anointed followers viewed as a group),through which agency he would provide spiritual food .....(Matt 24:45)Jehovahs witnesses recognise that arrangement.As was true of 1st Century Christians, they look to the governing body of that slave to resolve difficult questions...
    The statement in question , that a mature Christian does not "...harbour his own ideas when it comes to bible understaning" is in harmony with this and reflects the way Jehovah has arranged matters.

This was in responce to my finding contadictory the statmnets found in the Aug 1 2001 Watchtower that a mature Christian does not "...harbour his own ideas when it comes to bible understaning and the statement in the Watchtower July 1 2001 "Religious exhortations to the effect that you should just belive and doubt nothing are dangerous and deceptive."

Your thoughts on this please.

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

This reasoning is why I am what I am today. The Matthew 24 scripture is the reason why we have to do what we are told....you cant run ahead of the wonderful provision blah, blah...jehovah will correct it in his own time....

A careful investigation of Matthew 24 would clearly show that Jesus was using a parable.If "he" was not then who was the third slave in the "slave" account in Luke 12:41-48.

UO

• 25ashitaka25
    25ashitaka25

Double talk. You can think for yourselves, but you really can't.

They mind-F**k people whenever they can. Daily I am holding the GB more and more responsible for the hurt I see around me. I've had it.

ashi

• metatron
    metatron

Consider the unspoken arrogance of this letter!

Suppose that I, writing this posting, tell you "I'm a
    'faithful and discreet slave' thereby appointed by Christ.
    As such, you have to obey me".

They ONLY QUALIFY AS 'faithful slaves' by being faithful.
    If they lie and cover up wrongdoing, like child molesters,
    they are not faithful. How unfaithful - is for God to
    judge. Meanwhile, their proud assertion is no different
    from the Pharisee who "thanked God he was not as the rest
    of men"

They have created a confusing deception out of what Jesus
    said about the 'faithful slave'. In reality, it's very
    simple - it's directed at individuals, to encourage them
    to be wise and faithful - that's all.

metatron

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Once again, they are just messing with people's minds.

It's the same old story. You can and should question your religion
    and believe whatever you want, unless you are one of us. Then, since
    you have found the truth, you should stop questioning and looking.

It's a double standard, and it's the only way they can sustain their
    idiotic doctrines.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Their answer makes perfect sense in line with their own teachings.

The one belief that is of upmost importance is that you belief that the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses represent God and Jesus directly and therefore that questioning them is a bad thing.

This reply just restates what we all know, that they believe that communication with god or from god does not and cannot take place on an individual level, but that instead, the governing body is our mediator with God and Jesus on the earth. They state that rather plainly.

So the system is

God
    Jesus
    Governing Body
    Individual

I find it a fascinating concept, or should I say, an outlandish one.

Joel

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

WTS circular reasoning.

Question any teachings unless they come from Jehovah's true source.
    Jehovah's true source is the faithful and discreet slave.
    The WTS that f&ds.
    How do we know that?
    We say we are, and we are the f&ds, so it must be true and unquestionable.

It only makes sense if you're inside that circle. Once you step out of it, the whole thing becomes absurd, and you wonder how anyone can believe it.

S4

• sleepy
    sleepy

Here is a rought draft of my reply to this part of the societies letter.

“The fact that he require his worshippers to have “oneness in the faith and in the accurate knowledge of the Son of God” does not mean that we can no longer think for ourselves.”

Does this thinking include Biblical matters were we might disagree with the society?
    Well you next say “It does , though , mean that we recognise the wonderful provision that he has made to reveal truth through “the faithful and Discreet slave”.

You make the assertion that “truth” comes through a group labelled as the “faithful and discrete slave” So is this the only source of truth?
    That would mean that we could only receive knowledge of the Bible from people who claim to be the “Faithful slave”
    So how does this work as they often quote from other sources in explaining the Bible and have some times got things wrong?

But try as I might I can find no statement in my Bible that explicitly says “truth” will only come from God through the “Faithful slave”
    You explain: “Jesus said he would have on earth a “Faithful and discrete slave” (His anointed followers on viewed as a group)through which agency he would provide spiritual food to those making up the household of faith.(Matt 24:45-47)”
    The trouble here is that the important point “(His anointed followers on viewed as a group)” is added and not part of the scripture.
    The Bible says nothing about the “faithful and discrete slave” being “His anointed followers on earth viewed as a group” It doesn’t mention it being a select group of Christians. Or only of the anointed. It doesn't even say that it should be taken as anything other than an illustration as to being awake as to his coming.

“Jehovah’s witnesses recognise that arrangement. As was true of the first-century Christians, they look to the governing body of that “slave” class to resolve difficult questions-not on the basis of human wisdom, but by drawing on their knowledge of God’s Word and his dealings with his servants, and with the help of Gods spirit for which they earnestly pray.”.
    I thought it was the belief that the faithful and discrete slave has only been in existence in the last days so the bible doesn’t seem to support the idea you present . 1st century Christians wouldn’t have followed a faithful slave as it didn‘t exist. So how can we be like 1st century Christians and look to the “governing body of that slave class”?

Also do you notice the contradiction, “they look to the governing body of that “slave” class to resolve difficult questions-not on the basis of human wisdom” “drawing on their knowledge of God’s Word and his dealings with his servants”
    Isn’t drawing on their knowledge also drawing on their wisdom? Although they use the Bible to guide them many matters are not touched on in the Bible or require interpretation.
    If they don’t use their wisdom in these matters do they just pray and hope they are being guided by holy spirit.
    I think not .The bodies of elder certainly do not operate like this when dealing with matters. They try to reason on things using the Bible and also logic and wisdom. Don’t they follow the pattern set by the governing body?
    Of course they use human wisdom to understand things, how else do you explain the mistakes that have been made?
    Did holy spirit instruct them to print that the generation born in or before 1914 would not die out before Armageddon? Or was that human wisdom?
    “A loving Christian is ready to believe those who have proved trustworthy in the past.” The “faithful and discrete slave” clearly has proved true to its description by faithfully discharging its duties, and so fully merits our trust.”
    I must note as well that you imply that anyone not trusting the “faithful slave” is unloving. Do you not think that is wrong to impute motives to people who do not feel the same as you? Also does this form of logic stand firm. I feel you are confusing two issues one of mistrusting a person and another of do we give over our thinking to another person. Just because someone was right in the past does not automatically make them right again, it is not a matter of trust but of reasonableness and logical argument along with evidence that proves a matter true.
    Beside this point were does it say in scripture that the “faithful and discrete slave” would have a “governing body“?
    First it was said truth comes through the faithful and discrete slave now you imply its the governing body. Which is it? I can not even find the expression governing body in my Bible .I thought it was the belief that the faithful and discrete slave has only been in existence in the last days so the bible doesn’t seem to support the idea you present .
    In fact in my research I have found that it was not until 1927 that the “slave” was taught to be a class ,and up till then it was thought to be Russell himself , alone .( JW’s in the Divine purpose pg 95). But it is today taught that this “slave” was chosen by Jehovah in 1919 and is a group.
    So it seams a bit odd then that the group chosen to dispense truth by Jehovah did not itself believe that it was that group but taught that it was Russell for 8 years after they were chosen.
    Any way where does truth come from the faithful slave or the governing body or both?
    Is it not true that up until 1975 the governing body did not get directly involved with spiritual direction but was purely a legal body who ran the printing company.
    This is an important issue as it was stated earlier that truth comes from the “faithful slave” now its said to be a “governing body” of that “slave” like 1st century Christians.
    So can anyone who claims to be of the faithful and discrete slave receive truth from Jehovah and dispense it?
    If not where in the Bible is this shown to be the case?
    When I read the new testament I can find no reference or appeals to following a governing body . So when you say “this is the way Jehovah has arranged matters.” I am a bit confused.

The article I questioned said that a mature Christian “does not ...insist on personal opinion or harbour private ideas when to comes to Bible understanding.”
    This is the point at issue .Not whether there is a “governing body” or a “faithful and discrete slave” that if it wants to can print articles about the Bible that give insight into it. Or try to resolve difficult questions.
    But can we as individuals use our common sense and logic to reason on such points and come if the need be to other conclusions. Or even would God grant holy spirit to others in order to understand the Bible?
    You see if we take the idea that understanding only comes from a group of men who claim that they are used by God and we are not to question that , ultimately they can say what they like and we would have to obey. If “oneness in the faith and in the accurate Knowledge of the Son of God” means we must accept ideas that make no logical sense to us because we must only listen to a few select men I feel it would be dangerous for us. We would no longer be following God out of love and respect but be doing what was expected of us by men. Isn’t this what Jesus criticised the Pharisees for?
    For me logic and common sense would demand that we should only follow things that make sense due to reasoning presented by the writer not the credentials of the writer. I can see no order to do otherwise in the Bible. What is the point of unity if you are united in a mistaken belief? It worries me that if before the society changed it’s mind as to “this generation” that if you disagreed with them you could be considered apostate even though the society was wrong and you were right. Could this be true of other issues even now?
    I feel that in order to remain sane and in control of our faculties we must have our own opinion on matters, sometimes it may coincide with that of the governing body, but it is still our opinion and we haven’t given our mind to someone else to do our thinking.

I cant see how the statement at 2 Peter 2 1:20,21 has much bearing on the matter as it refers to interpreting prophecy and is not the issue at question. Even then it does not support the argument used as it does not mention interpretation coming from a “faithful and discrete slave” or a governing body but through holy spirit. With which I might add all 1st Century Christians were anointed.

Since as Jehovah's witness all life decisions are supposed to be Bible based and therefore if all understanding of the Bible comes from a group of people who feel only they can understand the scriptures and have Gods backing to do so then this means Jehovah’s witnesses must not doubt and just believe everything they are taught by the governing body of the “Faithful slave”.

If you feel I have misunderstood the issue or are unaware of certain facts I would appreciate you pointing this out to me as I would like to understand the issues fully so as to know how to lead my life.
    I thank you for your time in considering this.

• anglise
    anglise

Hi sleepy

that is a good reply but hardly lives up to your name.
    I'd say you were very Awake.
    Hope it gets the response you would like but I think you will be dissappointed.
    The WTBTS is a F&D slave but only to its own ideologies and then only when it suits. They can bend and twist their rules with seeming impunity ie the UN issue.
    I hope that whatever the outcome is, it will help you to gain some sort of closure as regards the JW influence in your life.

• Latte
    Latte

Yes, Sleepy you are definitely Awake! Excellent reasoning……doubt if they can understand it thought! Hahahaha!

Their presumptuousness………is staggering!!

Latte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit