Do you

by John Doe 21 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    ... ever click on John Doe's threads?

Used to. Got burned too many times. The first words look interesting and thought provoking, but when you open them they are usually a dumb and inain waste of time.

Interesting take, because my titles are not often indicative of anything. "Do you" is not only typical of my thread titles, it is rather generic and can hardly be said to invoke interest or thought.

"Inain" is not a word. I asume you meant "inane?"

• Calico Ethel
    Calico Ethel

I have great respect for all animals, and I think most animals are very intelligent. I just watched a program on the tele last night about elephants and how they mourn for their dead. Even if one is dying the rest of the herd won't leave it's side till long after it's gone. Gorillas also mourn for their dead. I find animal behaviour fascinating and am always watching programs about animals with my husband.

Although I have respect for them, I still consider SOME of them to be food for us. I couldn't eat an exotic animal, like a zebra or anything. I just think that it's weird. I had been opposed to eating duck at one time, but you'll see me eating a crispy duck pancake every now and again.

I think there is a fine line we need to be aware of when it comes to animals and eating them, because the truth is that there are a lot of animals that are dying out, that are still being hunted for food or whatever, and the way a lot of farm animals are treated is so cruel and not necessary. Again, I've seen a program depicting what it is like for some chickens in the UK that are farmed (I can't remember the term), it was distressing to watch as a chicken couldn't feed or drink because it's legs were broken, yet it was still trying to stand. Another one's neck was completely hanging off to it's side, as if it had been snapped in two. And there was even one chicken that was lying on the ground, motionless, it looked dead, but it wasn't - what a horrible and painful, drawn out death. Dying slowly is no way for even a chicken to die!

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Don't get me started.

• changeling
    changeling

Yes, I think animals are intelligent. Some more than others. But how intelligent they are does not define how I treat them. And then again, I do eat chickens and cows and pigs and fish...So yeah, I do treat some animals with more respect than others. But I think it's because I've been taught to do so.

I eat pork but I believe pigs are very smart. Cows, chickens and fish, not so much. Though I would hope they were killed humanely.

Are you doing your homework on us again JD?

changeling :)

• changeling
    changeling

What is with people posting hateful stuff against John Doe lately? I know it rolls of his back, but it bugs the crap out of me!

changeling

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip
    think of animals as "intelligent?"

Some no, some yes.

Does the phrase "dumb beasts" offend you?

Not in the least

Should intellgience matter in the way we treat animals?

Not really. I am more concerned with physical pain.

• ferret
    ferret

Animals are very smart. but they are referred to as dumb animals because they are unable to speak...look up the word "dumb" in the dictionary there is no reference made to stupidity.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Shawn10538

You can make a personal choice to not open his threads. The put-down, however, was not necessary.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't think that i could eat humans, even if they were really dumb;)

S

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Hopefully not everyone took this as a serious attack on JDs character like Lady Lee (as she sits with her giant thumb on the big red "Permanently Ban Button" trembling, and says, "Don't make me do it Moth*r F**Ker!")

JD I think you are cool. You have made many good posts. Thank's for the spelling on "inane." I thought I'd pull out a word I never use on this one. It's all in good fun.

Shaun. I have never ever used language like that and consider it an insult to suggest I would. If other people are noticing your put-downs then perhaps you should stop before clicking on that POST button -- Lee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit