Do you

by John Doe 21 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

think of animals as "intelligent?" Does the phrase "dumb beasts" offend you? Should intellgience matter in the way we treat animals?

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do not care and animals do not care either

• John Doe
    John Doe

"I do not care" as in "I don't want to think about it," or as in "I really just don't give a damn?"

• asilentone
    asilentone

to answer your question, the answer is "I really just do not give a damn!"

• John Doe
    John Doe

So I take it then that you don't think an animal's intelligence should matter in the way it is treated?

• asilentone
    asilentone

As long as we treat animals with respect, I am for it.

• yknot
    yknot
    Do you hink of animals as "intelligent?"

Many have shown a level of intelligence.

Does the phrase "dumb beasts" offend you?

Not really but I do think it is quite revealing about the person making the statement.

Should intellgience matter in the way we treat animals?

I believe we shouldn't act cruelly........ but at the same time I accept any animal as potential food.

• John Doe
    John Doe

yknot, how do you define cruelty? You say you view animals as potential food, so I assume that butchering is not cruel. How about egg laying hens that are raised in crates not big enough for them to stretch their wings? What about geese that are force fed by jamming a tube down their throats and pumping food in until their livers are several times natural size? Should the low intelligence of fowls make a difference? Do you view these practices as cruel?

• yknot
    yknot

Butchering for human consumption and survival done quickly.....nope. We are a 4H family so.... Our kids raise chickens, but not in crates..... 1 acre pen with lots of room. Get my beef and portk from local butcher (sometimes bartering live chickens) We eat a lot of deer. I personally wouldn't treat an animal in such a way. I don't approve much of many 'penned' ag practices.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

... ever click on John Doe's threads?

Used to. Got burned too many times. The first words look interesting and thought provoking, but when you open them they are usually a dumb and inain waste of time. They are never as smart as you hope they wil be. I'm really bored right now so I gave another one a click. Just as I thought, another waste of my time.

You should put a warning or disclaimer on these threads like this:

Warning! Open this....

(We open)

...Hah! Got you again sucker!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit