My daughter ask young Walmart cashier about shopping for college.....

by Thechickennest 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Was in Walmart a couple of weeks ago helping my daughter do some shopping for college supplies. My daughter is very outgoing and outspoken. It's going to be her first year of college. The Walmart checkout girl was same age as my daughter. As she was checking out the goods my daughter piped up and ask the young checker if she was going to college this year? The answer that came back was "I am sharing in a educational work with my church.....I seen it coming.....yes, she went on to say she was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. We did not raise our daughter to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. We both about fell over. When we got out to the car, I said to my daughter-that could be you working at Walmart and getting your education by a "ministry work". My dear daughter said..."then I would never get past working at Walmart" A life lesson at Walmart.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Thechickenest,

Yeah, she's sharing in an 'educational work with her church'. I am sure this answer was well-rehearsed and school children in the hall are told to say something along these lines when they are asked by other non-JW young people. Too bad this 'educational work' can't really pass for a college education on a resume.

Makes me sick. It really does.

LHG

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Excellent!

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

Wal-Mart isn't all that bad, I have been there a little over 2 years and I love my job. But then again I am a Dept Manager over Jewelry.

• yknot
    yknot

BURNING!

I am proud to say there is no one in my KH who has kids that are buying that load of hogwash!......

Next time you happen to be in her line.... mention the CO outline, and gently prod her to look into getting her 'basics' via online classes.

If she protests.... tell about Judah Ben being up at Columbia full-time since 2002....

Smile & say, the organization is changing more then most notice. Remind her that Bethel needs licensed and college educated volunteers too.

Leave telling her she can apply online to FASFA.

Walmart is a major employer in our area......but it is not a place to build a career for majority.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would not view that "education" that the Washtowel gives as valid. It is based on crap science and doctrines that are intentionally confusing. All it prepares one for is menial work that barely pays minimum wage.

And the University of Asleep? They tell me that reading the Asleep! is equivalent to a university degree. I challenge anyone that believes that to try calculus and chemistry, out of the Asleep! magazines only. Try learning basic calculus, basic chemistry, basic English literature, and basic economic principles (including opportunity costs) out of an Asleep! magazine.

Besides that, most of the science articles in the Asleep! have major flaws. They are all designed to prevent people from seeing discrepencies between what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger teaches and the real truth. And when I check Google for independent sources against the Asleep!, the Asleep! is almost always wrong.

Some "education".

• berylblue
    berylblue

I feel badly for the cashier. They have the most difficult job in any store - along with the customer service people. I am a retail manager and I enjoy it immensely. I find it challenging, frustrating, interesting, demanding. But my day is usually injected with humour - because many persons are just plain idiots and in retail, we see people at their worst and most demanding. One minute I'm working on a new display and the next, I have to deal with a customer riding around on the handicapped scooters, asking other customers for cigarettes and spitting on them for saying no. I help all sorts of persons, am heaped with praise on a daily basis from the gracious customers, and derided and despised by those to whom the answer is "no". I try never to say no, but sometimes, I have to. It's not all bad, trust me. If I had finished college, I'd be in radio right now, but this is OK too.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Shudders.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

What? Nobody here wants to work at Walmart for the rest of their lives?? Who's going to scan all my food/house supplies? Oh, wait.. JW's.

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Hey, I'm sorry I didn't mean any disrespect towards Walmart employees. I read Sam Walton's autobiograhy a few years ago. He was one determined man. Started out bringing in lots of goods to a Ben Franklin store he managed in the back of his old stationwagon! It's an amazing story. My wife has spent a good part of her working life in retail. If I didnt already have a job I like I would not hesitate for a minute to work at Walmart. My daughter and I were nice and listened to this young checkout person intently. I am sure that I know her family, parents and grandparents. I could have played around a little bit asking her some pointed questions, etc. I could have also identified my self as an apostate! But she was a nice kid and working hard. What can you say? She is not to blame for the fix she is in and trapped probably forever. She must be the one of the 3 of 10 that stick around with JW's when she grew up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit