In Memory of Ray Franz's Nephew ...

by compound complex 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• compound complex
    compound complex

[...] However sincere the vice president [Fred Franz} was, it is an undeniable fact that his rather cloistered life at the headquarters from his early twenties onward had largely isolated him from life as lived by ordinary people 'on the outside' (a term used frequently by staff workers at the Watch Tower headquarters with reference to life outside their select community). The things being experienced by those who were engaged in secular employment, who had homes and families, knew what it was to be married or to be parents, had to face the problems and difficulties of day-to-day living as most people face them, formed little or no part of his experience. From my own personal association with him over many years, it was evident that he was quite detached---or perhaps the expression could be "insulated"---from the reality of life as lived by the average person. He was in no sense a "hermit" and accepted occasional invitations to people's homes for meals or weekends, but he was always a "special" guest, someone looked upon as different from ordinary people. Conversation rarely if ever dealt with the more mundane aspects of human occupations. I recall one summer in the late 1940s or early 1950s when he was at our family home in Kentucky on vacation (as I was also there on vacation from Puerto Rico), and he commented on himself and Nathan Knorr, saying: "Brother Knorr is a practical man. I am a scholar." I am sure he was not an unfeeling person, yet in his outlook toward the problems of human living he seemed somewhat otherworldly, at times almost fatalistic about difficulties and even tragedies.

For me, one instance of this was notably impressive. In the 1970s a nephew of mine contracted a sudden pancreas infection that in just three days ended his life. He was only 34. He left behind a lovely young wife and two small daughters. At the funeral, which my wife and I attended, the funeral parlor was packed. As the invited speaker, the Society's vice president (great uncle to the deceased) walked up to the podium, paused, and then in a very loud, almost stentorian, voice said: "Isn't it grand to be ALIVE!" [20] After that introductory exclamation, for several minutes he discussed, effectively and dramatically, the meaning of the words at Ecclesiastes 7:1-4. [21] As yet my nephew had not been mentioned in any way. Then, after approximately ten minutes, in referring to the words about it being 'better for us to go to the house of mourning,' the speaker said, "And the reason why is that sooner or later we're all going to end up like THIS!" and, without turning, he threw his hand backward in the direction of the coffin where my nephew's body lay. The talk went on with further commentary on the Biblical section but with no other reference to the dead man until the close when the standard statements of the reason of the occasion and the names of the deceased's survivors were given.

I felt a sense of burning anger --- not at my uncle, for I sincerely and honestly believe he thought this was the best way to deal with the situation, the best way to combat the natural sensations of grief and loss. What I felt incensed at was the ORGANIZATIONAL ATTITUDE that allowed a person to feel fully justified to speak in a way which essentially transformed the dead person's body into a vehicle or platform on which to base a talk, a talk that expounded organizational doctrine, but which throughout simply made no mention of sadness at the loss of the PERSON whose life had ended, as though by ignoring this the hurt would be lessened. I kept saying to myself, "James deserves something better than this --- surely the text about a 'name being better than good oil' calls for talking about the name HE MADE FOR HIMSELF IN LIFE. Surely there is SOMETHING that can be learned from his life, something about him that can be said to encourage us, the living." [22] Once again, I do not think my uncle lacked any of the feelings I had or lacked the capacity for sorrow and compassion. I believe he simply reflected his training and a lifetime of disciplining himself against expressing strong feeling about anything other than "theocratic interests." [23]

Footnotes 20 - 23:

20 I still vividly recall the sinking sensation I felt in my heart at this.

21 These verses read (NW): "A name is better than good oil, and the day of death than the day of one's being born. Better is it to go to the house of mourning than to go to the banquet house, because that is the end of all mankind; and the one alive should take it to his heart. Better is vexation than laughter, for by the crossness of the face the heart becomes better. The heart of the wise ones is in the house of mourning, but the heart of the stupid ones is in the house of rejoicing."

22 I had been asked to give a prayer following the talk and I remember feeling somewhat choked up and that I began by saying, "An enemy has come into our midst and has robbed us of a loved one. A wife has lost her husband. Little children have lost a father. A father and a mother have lost a son. And we have all lost a friend." Then, for the first time, I could hear some expressions of sorrow among those attending and I frankly found it a welcome sound. I tried to include some of the good things about the man, things worth our imitating, for I thought, "Surely now if ever is the time to express appreciation for whatever worthwhile qualities he had. We owe it to him, to his memory."

23 In the 1980s, when conducting the morning text for the "Bethel family," he emphasized the importance of the work the headquarters staff was doing by relating that, in 1939, when notified by his mother of his father's death, he informed her that he would not be able to make it to the funeral due to the severe press of work at Bethel. His mother angrily phoned Judge Rutherford and, as my uncle told it, the "Judge" ordered him to go to the funeral. This was said with no evident sense of embarrassment, but rather as illustrative of the importance he gave to his assigned work at Bethel, the "house of God."

IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM, by Ray Franz, pp. 249, 250

I regret any possible errors resulting from my very poor typing.

CC

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Ray Franz

an inspiration for all

To think

There are those who consider him

as selfish and evil

They are denying themselves

a true example of Christian

compassion, principals and freedom

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I felt that was one of the most shocking quotes from ISoCF. Just shows how far some members of the GB had become removed from their humanity.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, LC and MM, for your touching and meaningful thoughts.

Gratefully,

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

I haven't read ISOCF - yet.

I can identify with RF's feelings of anger and outrage that individuals don't matter in the small world of WT.

I've seen and been repelled by this mindset, albeit on a small scale, when I associated with the JW's.

Contrast that cold, unfeeling attitude with that of Jesus of Nazareth, and you'll clearly see how far the WTS has strayed from Christianity.

Sylvia

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

CC

It is sad that the Watchtower Society lacks the sense of humanity in such situations. Birth, marriage and death are the very human experiences that we share with each other. These are the times of great joy or intense sorrow. The last thing people need is a lecture on doctrine. Rather, they need the embrace of loved ones and friends.

I've attended a number of funeral talks at Kingdom Halls over the years. Strangers are always puzzled by the tone and content of these discussions. Some are annoyed over the length of time it takes. Instead of giving a favorable impression, it often left a person with a feeling of emptiness and sadness. Their relief was often seen upon leaving the Hall.

I'm sure that many Jehovah's Witnesses personally have brought comfort to grieving ones. But I also know that some Jehovah's Witnesses have caused more harm to their cause through their misplaced zeal and carelessness.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Thanks for sharing this.

I must admit I've always felt and even still fell a certain sympathy for him.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Dear gods. The insensitivity is truly repugnant.

The prayer that Ray gave was beautiful. Perhaps it softened the edges of the haphazard sword that had just been swung so widely...

Thank you for typing this out for us, Dear CoCo.

Love,
    Baba.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is always a dangerous thing to make assumptions or to look at a person and form a negative opinion from conjecture....but having heard F Franz speak several times at Twickenham Assemblies, I can honestly say that I can easily believe that he would behave like that . It is just what we would expect of him.

He was different.! He spoke with detachment and absolute involvement in his subject. It was as though he were not mentally with us at all but carried away in it , as though talking with "The Lord" . None of the Theocratic School counsel for him! He over emphasised every word so that it hit you like a succession of hammer blows,powerful at first but soon off putting. .

I am saying that it was clear to anyone that he was strange ..no doubt a great intellect, somewhere beneath the bizarre reasoning..

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I've always liked Ray's statement that he was the victim of victims. I think this excerpt confirms this: Fred Franz was himself the victim of a personless organizational attitude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit