WORLDS APART: Actors Going in Service

by compound complex 33 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

The orthodox muslim faith is a constant source of debate in the western world today, and it would be obvious to draw a parallel between Sara’s dilemma and the difficult situation of young muslim girls in a western country like Denmark today. Director Niels Arden Oplev has openly stated that this was a parallel he had in mind when he made To verdener.

alt
    Sara goes proselytizing with her father (Jens Jørn Spottag) and younger sister (Sarah Juel Werner). Photo by Jesper Juncker-Jensen

Arden Oplev felt that the debate about the perils of fundementalism had become tedious, always alianted the muslim culture and focusing on terror and suicide bombers, and he hopes that his movie might be able to bring a different aspect to the debate. He succeeds very nicely in this, I think; depicting religion not just as a “them-between-us” situation by making the religious protagonist a Danish Jehova’s Witness, rather than an immigrant orthodox Muslim. Especially because he manages to depict the allure of the cult as well, I think. A poignant scene shows Sara at a huge Jehova’s Witness convention on a beautiful, sunny summer day, and it’s hard not be feel somewhat charmed by the warmth and enthusiastic atmosphere, Sara is greeted with by her fellow cult members, as she stands up in front of the assembly to announce that she wishes to become a full-time missionary for the cult.

I very much recommend this movie! Despite its young protagonists it is far from being simply a coming-of-age drama or a teenage flick, and I think it will be enjoyed as a quality movie by both a young and an old audience. You can see the trailer here (no subtitles, unfortunately).

/marie

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

Fundamentalism and cultism are issues that are present in most (all?) religions and pseudo-religions.

It is good to see the perspective being presented from a "christian" perspective - perhaps giving some insight into the perils of the mindset of fundamentalism and cultism.

Unfortunately most are unaware of the guile and deception practiced by the promoters of this "religious" extremism.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

CoCo,

Perhaps you are suffering something akin to the flashback that one can have of a traumatic event in one's life.

This film depicts the process of indoctrination, including the pressures applied, that all members of the WTS (and their families) are subjected to. To the potential recruit this appears to be a most normal and logical thing to do (at the time) and it is not until there is some personal revelation that the spell is broken. The revealing process can be different for different people, but the outcome appears to be the same: a realisation that one has been subjected to lies, deciet and deception and a great sense of personal disbelief.

In many ways, the practices of the WTS are no different from other organisations - theocratic jargon, "love bombing", exclusivity, "truth" and the "only way to salvation/paradise" are but a few of the deceits commonly espoused by these groups.

I am an outsider looking in (my wife became entangled in this web of deceit a few years ago) but I can understand your reaction upon seeing this process so clearly depicted.

With kind regards,

h9k

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I prefer subtitles

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

You can see the same trailer with subtitles plus other clips here... http://www.toverdener.dk/

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I will get my DVD in the mail in just a few days... And I am going to watch it for the first time (I have to force myself to wait).... in the end of september along with severa other ex-JWs and our present partners I think this evening will be very emotional for us....

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

InquiryMan:

Bought mine from www.moviezoo.dk

Can you confirm if that version has English subtitles?

• sacolton
    sacolton

I got the DVD of this with English subtitles. Haven't watched it yet.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, dear friends, for the helpful and up-to-the-minute news.

HAL: Your comments prove both cogent and compassionate - many thanks.

Gratefully,

CoCo

• sacolton
    sacolton

So, is this movie pro-JW or anti-JW? Would it get a JW to think about their choices?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit