IT's OFFICIAL: Joe Biden is Obama's VP Pick...

by zeroday 30 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

"Greenland" only has 3 electoral votes?! I wouldn't have moved here if I knew it weighed in so lightly.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I thought Biden was from Delaware?

"True, but he's from Penn and Obama couldn't wrestle that out of Hill's clutches. This might tilt it his way."

This is the general election, and Hillary isn't running. There is no corollary between a primary election between two democrats and a general election. Pennsylvania is already tilted Obama's way, hopefully this will tilt it farther his way.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I guess it depends on what you want when you want "change". Biden is an exceptional politician, who in six terms, 35 years as a Senator, has not enriched himself .

What, is wealth immoral?

That said, Biden is actually a Dem that I respect, even though I seldom agree with his positions.

BTS

• zeroday
    zeroday

I like Biden as well he is a straight shooter...you know exactly where he is coming from although at times he does step in it...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"What, is wealth immoral?"

In this context... yes. I think that is the "change" in politics people want, if you drill down to it. "Wealth", that you get by virtue of having taken an oath of office to represent your constituency, is, to varying degrees "immoral". Some of it is just stuff that virtually anyone would take advantage of if it was available to us, and then some of it is full on corruption.

We have laws to prevent it, but that's the thing, politicians have found ways to get around those laws, and when one party has enough bald power, a lot of politicians on that side don't even try to be all that clever in breaking those laws.

And then there are the loopholes. Laws that need to be written, but haven't been yet. Will they ever be? After all, the people who would write them are the people who get to enrich themselves via those loopholes. And yet there are a handful of politicians who try to write and pass those laws anyway.

• Preston
    Preston

Primarily, I think its in the best interest for either candidate to have a Vice President who does not supercede the position of commander in chief. They need to choose a candidate who has dropped out of the campaign for president because even though they are not running, they have already proven they can run a campaign, rather than being an armchair warrior.

An Obama/Clinton ticket would have united the party and would give Obama an edge over McCain because Hilary ran an effective campaign and may very well have won the party's nomination if it weren't for FL and MI making the decision to supercede the DNC rules but, I think even she wouldn't accept anything lower than President.

I would have preferred that he picked Richardson since he HAS foreign policy experience AND was a governor for a state albeit it was New Mexico. I tend to have a problem with senators having the same qualifications to run for president as those who have served as governor primarily because they have had to prove that they could help pay wages, balance budgets, ensure policemen and firemen are taken care of, etc. while those in the senate can miss votes and not sponsor bills... They just have a better recognized track record of not getting anything done.

- Preston

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

This choice may be a mistake, for people are uninformed on his political ideas and policies and are not familiar with him,

where Hillary Clinton has been doing some extensive campaigning for a long time and the population is versed in what her ideas are.

In any case I hope Obama wins the election, I think the white house needs a jolt of fresh new political ideas, with a young mindset.

McCain to me still seems like an old guard Republican even though a liberal one with old and stale policies .

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Oh yes, why wasn't Richardson even mentioned in all the pre-convention buzz about VP picks? He was very likeable in the primary campaign, has had executive PLUS foreign experience, would clearly not overshadow the commander-in-chief, and would not be someone who's been stuck at Washington for many years (wasn't that supposed to be Obama's thing?). Another missed opportunity, it seems.

• Gopher
    Gopher

> This selection of Biden is an unsurprising "safe" choice. Obama realizes the electorate doesn't want to hear the "change" theme any more, and the polls are bearing that out. Biden has the combination of foreign policy experience the ticket desperately needs, since it seems McLame is rising in the polls on people's comfort with his "security" stance. Strangely McLame's response to the Russia-Georgia tiff seems to given him a boost in the polls, even though his whole foreign policy is based on identifying enemies rather than opportunities. (I prefer diplomacy to knee-jerk reactionism.)

> Biden can be the 'attack dog' that the Democratic campaign will need to go against the Republicans in the next two months. He's better at delivering a fighting message than Obama is.

> Not surprisingly, the Republicans are already seizing on Biden's 2007 interview with ABC News where he (while an opponent of Obama) questioned his readiness to be president. This is a lame tactic by the Republicans, because any thinking voter would know that Biden would likely not accept the VP nomination from Obama if he thought he was unqualified.

> Obama should get a bump in the polls after his Thursday night acceptance speech at the stadium in Denver. I expect his speech to set the tone for the remainder of this year's campaign.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I'm disappointed, but I understand why he chose him. I'm not even sure who would have been a better pick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit