When You Were In, Did You Regard Apostates As Losers?

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

When I was in, there were no Apostates, just those on public reproof, private reproof and those disfellowshipped....No one had any ability to be an apostate. I left in 1978....No internet...no cell phones, cable tv or computers....

The big bad IT world has spawned the "apostate".

Good god, I feel old.

r.

• free2think
    free2think
    Is that because you are one?

Yep....!!!

Which one?

No i didnt.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Yes. I thought they were a bit quirky for screaming and hollering like morons.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Oh, my, yes.

They were like the dog that "returned to its own vomit" weren't they? And just think- they had turned their back on God and their loving brothers and sisters!!!

They were selfish and wanted to do unscriptural things. None of them ever bettered themselves. The WTS said so.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

I always believed that ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses were simply angry malcontents who were obsessed with "trivialities" such as 1914 and 1975. This view came from the fact that the only ex-JWs that I did observe were those who picketed our conventions. Those who picketed conventions always behaved in an angry and anti-social manner - chanting slogans, and waving signs. Little did I know that I was observing less than 1% of the ex-JW demographic.

This is why I believe that the majority of convention picketers do more harm than good. If convention picketers are considered "losers" by Jehovah’s Witnesses, I believe that they have often earned it. They are often the only ex-Witnesses that active JWs ever see, yet their angry and caustic demeanors become the visual representation of what it means to leave the JW organization. I do not believe that shouting sarcastic slogans at people is informative. I believe that it is childishly self-indulgent.

Jehovah’s Witnesses need to see the vast numbers of those who have left the organization and who have maintained their dignity, humility, kindness, compassion; and who are happy. I believe that the work done by people like Ray Franz, Peter Gregerson, Ron Frye, Randy Watters, and Cynthia Hampton is having a very positive effect.

• DIM
    DIM

apostates and JW's are exactly the same, one's for and one's anti, just leave and be happy, it works wonders

• klydia
    klydia

When I was a kid and they picketed the conventions, I thought I would get possessed by just looking at one. Now, my heart goes out to anyone who is picketing JW conventions. I understand the feelings of anger and the sense of injustice, but demonstrations also make the Witnesses look BETTER. It's awful and wrong that society views things this way, but unfortunately, the immediate connection in people's minds is "picketer = insane."

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    apostates and JW's are exactly the same, one's for and one's anti, just leave and be happy, it works wonders

Problem is when you just walk away you also get the "Apostate" label. So the sheeple will fear/hate you as much as the vocal ones.

I always thought that if Jesus was around he would definitly be out there talking to those poor confused people trying to help them. Why couldn't I?

• blondie
    blondie

Not all yelled just held up signs...not much different from the sandwich cards of WTS days gone by and driving around a neighborhood with a sound car blaring Rutherford's talks.

I talked to several and didn't see them as losers. It made me search out my first Studies in the Scriptures to very the quotes....I was stunned...and even more stunned that this information was not available to the average jw since the books were out of print, and the jw history books were also out of print. It wasn't until 1993 that the Proclaimers book was printed much in response to the information on the internet.

Blondie

• shamus100
    shamus100

You're right, Blondie. The problem is, that's all that I ever saw of apostates.

Thank god for the internet.

The others I viewed as Jeremy viewed them; stuck on dates, going ahead of the org, spiritually weak.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit