Is there any one thing you DID like about the witnesses?

by dobbie 18 Replies latest jw friends

• dobbie
    dobbie

Ok so obviously there's more bad than good(slight understatement i know!) but is there anything you did enjoy about the religion? Just wondering cos i asked myself that question and the only thing i can think of (and it seems a bit materialistic to me lol) is that i could dress up in nice clothes and see men in suits! (weird thing is i now can't bear to wear dresses or skirts as it reminds me of them!)

Anything at all you did like or miss (don't eat me for asking btw!)

• waxtadpole
    waxtadpole

The one thing i did like about the witnesses was that my parents met thru them and then had me! After that I dunno........I can swing a mop pretty good now thanks to being a JW!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I did and do enjoy giving talks on the Theocratic School

• undercover
    undercover

Back before the big crack-down on large gatherings, I enjoyed the fellowship. The congregation picnics, cookouts at the friends houses, picnics at the lake or on the river.

After they discouraged large gatherings, it dwindled down to just small gatherings and no one wanted to go out on a limb and get a picnic or party together anymore.

I remember the last congregation picnic I attended. It was a wedding shower slash picnic but only people in "good standing" were invited. I remember some people getting bent out of shape because one sister's husband, who came to 2 or 3 meetings a year showed up. You'd think this would be the way to encourage this man, with some good ole fashioned Christian fellowship..but nooo, people were stumbled because a "worldly" guy was there eating and drinking in amongst us...

And so it goes...even in things that were enjoyable the dubs had a way of bringing everyone down and ruining a good thing...

• yknot
    yknot

I guess while I had my blinders on...... I liked the fairy tale of it all.

I liked most of the residents of JWland.

I liked having my entire life being planned around theocratic pursuits.

Oh well ....the sun still rises and sets, and there is nothing new under the sun.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I liked being an associate with the future kings who will rule over the earth.

Until I discovered that those kings are controlled by abaddon.

• shamus100
    shamus100

No.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I suppose there were things I enjoyed at the time but the misery, pain, and suffering are so present in my mind that they overshadow any good memories.

StAnn

• asilentone
    asilentone

they do not smoke?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Only until I saw that all I was doing with field circus was masking problems related to the lack of sexual fulfillment. From that point on, I saw no point in rewarding that Almighty Freeloader for creating and perpetuating the problem on me.

Why reward an Almighty God whose agenda is to make sure I just grow old and die celibate and sabotage any and every opportunity for me to do a damn thing about it? Or an organization that exploits it?

Oh yes, and the fact that they do not smoke. I personally never did smoke--but I did not need a washtowel or asleep to tell me not to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit