Quote from 1943 Truth book...

by civicsi00 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I was perusing the 1943 "Truth Shall Make You Free" book and I found this on page 302:

"Christ's coming to the temple in 1918 was entirely unexpected, even to his devoted faithful followers. The truth of his coming then was first discerned by the Scriptures and by the fulfillments of prophecy after the event, namely, first in 1922."

Let me get this straight:

1. It's a prophecy that they became aware of, AFTER it came true. Is it still considered a prophecy?

2. If Jesus came in 1918 to "the temple" and in 1919 picked the Watchtower, then why did it take 4 years for them to figure it out from the Scriptures? Couldn't Jesus have just told them that he picked them as the one true channel?

3. The Watchtower is ridiculous.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

That is interesting, because to my knowledge they didn't teach the 1918 Pick ME date until 1929

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

They become aware of ALL their prophecies after the fulfillment, because everything they try to predict in advance always fails to come true. Therefore they have to force the prophecies into the mold of what actually happened rather than allowing the prophecies to speak for themselves.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Neon took my thought exactly. They are BACKTRACKING their prophecies, lol.

--------

When the Lord REALLY comes, his followers WILL KNOW IT, there won't be any confusion there!

...which is only logical, so it is amazing how JWs (my former self included) were convinced to be so ILLOGICAL.

• yknot
    yknot

1922 was the Cedar Point, Ohio Convention.......

1943 as you may remember was the first year after Boozerford was dead!

Knorr/Franz kicked-off with revisions and 'clarifications of chronology'. In 44' the made the 3-man JC and banned blood transfusions.

Interestingly though..... I think we are dealing with the first GB/Leadership that unlike those in the past are morelikely to admit to themselves that the time is not as near as proclaimed. I think those before really believed to a greater extent .....1914 generation and all.

• garybuss
    garybuss

In the field of study of high control groups, it's called re-framing. It works like this: Take that which does not look good in it's present frame . . . and install it in a new frame. The Witness spin and grin society simply followed the Second Advent group's steps in re-framing failure since neither can claim any rational successes.

It's interesting to me that an entire successful business industry was based on error and failure so severe that the founder quit his own group. When that happens in politics what inevitably follows is anarchy and rebellion. When religion based business fails in it's goals, it seems to inspire greater commitment from followers.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Just to clarify, the "temple inspection" of 1918 was all about discrediting those who weren't following Rutherford anymore. It had nothing to do with picking one group out of all the earth. Just separating the wheat from the chaff from among the Bible Students.

As stated in the Nov. 1, 1944 Watchtower, pages 331-332:

Fulfilled prophecies make it certain that Jehovah’s Theocratic Servant Christ Jesus came to the temple in 1918. Then he entered into judgment with the consecrated servants of Jehovah. He did so in order to determine who of them should be retained in God’s service and be constituted and organized as His "faithful and wise servant" class to do the evangelistic work thenceforth...

During the period from 1878 to 1918 Jehovah’s devoted servants were endeavoring to act unitedly in doing the witness work pictured by that of Elijah the prophet and hence referred to as "the Elijah work". Like Elijah’s work, it was against religion or demonism and for the vindication of God’s name. This work, conducted under the leadership of Christ Jesus, came to an end in 1918, when he came to the temple as Jehovah’s Messenger and Judge. (See Malachi 3: 1.) The judgment tests which he then and there applied separated out from Jehovah’s professed servants an "evil servant" class, which followed after man-worship, selfish ambitions, and self-righteousness, and which aimed after the control of the governing body.

A remnant manifested purity of heart and devotion to the Lord God and to his Theocratic organization and the interests of his kingdom. This faithful remnant was approved under the judgment trial, and Christ Jesus the King gathered them unto unity with himself at the temple. He adjudged these faithful anointed servants of Jehovah God to be the "faithful and wise servant" class under himself as Head. To them he committed the interests of the Kingdom. That is, he laid upon them the duty and privilege to carry on the evangelistic work as Jehovah’s witnesses in ’preaching the evangel of the kingdom in all the habitable earth for a witness to all the nations’. This they must do, down to the battle of Armageddon, when the Kingdom will destroy all the enemies of The Theocracy and then the millennial reign of Christ Jesus will begin. This "faithful and wise servant" class is the real "Society" of Jehovah’s anointed remnant. That is, it includes all those of the faithful spirit-begotten remnant, whereas the legal corporation, the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, does not include all such.

• Quandry
    Quandry

MJ Quotes the WTS:

During the period from 1878 to 1918 Jehovah’s devoted servants were endeavoring to act unitedly in doing the witness work pictured by that of Elijah the prophet and hence referred to as "the Elijah work". Like Elijah’s work, it was against religion or demonism and for the vindication of God’s name.

All this was so confusing to me for so long. Weren't they preaching in 1878 that the "end" started in 1874 and that the big A would come in 1914?

Then they say:

This "faithful and wise servant" class is the real "Society" of Jehovah’s anointed remnant. That is, it includes all those of the faithful spirit-begotten remnant, whereas the legal corporation, the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, does not include all such.

So they are admitting that their own legal corporation included those who were demonized apostates?

I sooooo wish I had read and understood some of this thirty-eight years ago. They can really spin things, can't they?

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Damn MJ, I didn't even realize that's how they described what happened. Thanks for the clarification! It stilll seems to me that the WT spins it in whatever way it suits their needs. It's a damn shame that most/none of the current Witlesses ever think about this non-event.

• startingover
    startingover

Very interesting! Thanks for posting it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit