more women jds than men

by John Doe 16 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Now, I haven't been to meetings since I was about 20, but in my congregation the sexes were pretty much evenly split. However, I've seen the statement several times that there are "not enough brothers to go around," so I can only assume that my congregation was atypical. So, if there are more women jws, what is the reason for this?

More of them are converts?

More stay in after being raised in?

Women are more apt to be genetically predisposed to be jws?

What's your take?

• dinah
    dinah

Well, 20 years ago our congregation had alot of sisters with unbelieving mates. As soon as the boys turned 18 most were on their way out. Maybe females were more likely to stay? Which makes me wonder if things are still the same, or if the girls are now bailing as soon as they are adults now.

• yknot
    yknot

I have been hearing about the great man shortage all my life!..... I was born in 1973.

Supposedly men have a problem with submitting themselves to God's arrangement. Women being put into a submission back in Genesis are more willing to accept the 'troof'...... this was the story I heard all my life.... and yes it is.... "proof that we are living in the end times"

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Maybe it's a plot by the GB to make the 'new system' into some kind of Amazon world.

• yknot
    yknot
    Maybe it's a plot by the GB to make the 'new system' into some kind of Amazon world.

Are you sure they aren't planning to rip off Islam/ Mormons some and promise extra wives to those men who remained faithful!

• John Doe
    John Doe

Women are obvously kept "in subjection" in jw land. Could this be a comment on perhaps a human need to feel secure? If you observe people and their actions for a while, it's almost as if the majority want to be led and told what to do. People will say otherwise, but when it comes down to it, I think a large percentage want to be controlled.

Ponder that for a while. . .

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    Are you sure they aren't planning to rip off Islam/ Mormons some and promise extra wives to those men who remained faithful!

They could get into some kind of bidding war with each other and eventually one side will win with "Oh yeah!? Well we'll have super infinity plus one wives!"

Ok, I'll attempt to make a serious contribution.

Women are obvously kept "in subjection" in jw land. Could this be a comment on perhaps a human need to feel secure? If you observe people and their actions for a while, it's almost as if the majority want to be led and told what to do. People will say otherwise, but when it comes down to it, I think a large percentage want to be controlled.

It's always easier to be a follower than a leader, and most people will follow the path of least resistance. I don't think it's so much wanting to be controlled as it is wanting to avoid conflict, and/or responsibility. My guess as to why more women stay than men is that not only are they told to be submissive by the watchtower, but especially in the past society in general taught this too although maybe to a lesser extent, so it's a double whammy.

• yknot
    yknot

There are always more followers then leaders....

Most ultimately prefer to be led rather then be autonomous

I will even cop to plain ole laziness.

Then again, I suck at JW submissiveness. I like autonomy, and if I had not been raised a JW, well lets just say the ability to influence is intoxicating very very intoxicating!

This all said, as far as women......... we do have chemical reaction to men (that we find attractive on some level) when they behave 'firmly' or 'take the lead'. The feeling that he 'approves' of our actions makes us tingly. We seek that approval and attention. We seek to be seen as desirable. It sucks, I mean you can be winning an argument or kicking butt being Zena Warrior Princess and then in a flash you are completely jello.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

In general, women tend to be more religious than men, so you may find that the situation with JWs is no different to other religions. Go to your local church or Hindu temple and I am sure that you will find more women than men. I am not so sure about Islam but that is a slightly different situation.

• reniaa
    reniaa

From a purely sexist point of view ^^ i agree with eyeslice lol as a woman I do my everyday life and still think on God even doing mundane jobs like washing up, but I have religious friends real bible thumping evangelical pentacostal men that when at church are all gunho to God but once they are away they switch off and play with equal enthusiam online gaming or watching football, In conclusion I think men are able to switch off more from one activity to another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit