too tired to fight

by Bridgette 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Dear Friends,
    I will try not to make this a maudlin goodbye. Well, maybe a tad maudlin, but not goodbye , as I have every intention of returning. I am just tired right now, and extremely busy (wrk, school, pregnancy). I feel I need a respite from the board. I will be “seeing” you guys soon, but if not, I want to thank you all for being here, so that people can stumble in from the Borg, broken, bruised, crushed and know that they are not alone; that there is life after being a Jehovah’s Witness. A GOOD life.
    As many of you know I have been totally and utterly distraught over little Laree Slack. I still think about her—a lot, maybe too much. I can’t get the image of her laying bruised, beaten, gagged—thinking even with her last breath that she was getting what she deserved from god, her parents, her congregation--everyone. I believe, I cannot let go because there’s so much of Laree and her story in each one of us who grew up as Jehovah’s Witnesses. Many of us were abused ourselves, and even if not, we were metaphorically bound, gagged and had life beaten out of our souls. Our voices, our screams--stifled, and gagged. I don’t want to keep bringing it up, but this story has attached itself to my heart, and quietly drains my happiness, drop by drop. I am a happy, whole person since leaving the Kingdom Hall. However, lately, I feel much as I did as a Jehovah's Witness child—helpless against this massive steamroller of souls called the Watchtower bible and tract society. I don’t like feeling that way. But every time I come on board, and look at all the ruined, or at least scarred lives, the “society” has leaves in its wake, I can’t help it. And they don't care. They can't be guilted or shamed into any sort of apology or reparation. Because they don't care. They are totally devoid of love. I don’t want to say they’ve won, I just need a break from battle for a while. I don’t even like thinking of it as battle, but it is so like battling the borg. Resistance seems futile. They seem to have such a chokehold on peoples’ souls—this is hard enough to watch being done to consenting adults, but when I see children having their minds raped (and someimes bodies), it’s intolerable to me. And it’s not something tangible you can fight. They take people’s humanity and stuff it behind a wall of dogma. Their meme’s are so strong, and deeply entrenched that to even question them, strengthens their teaching that they are the most persecuted people on earth.
    I used to think that there was a lot of goodness just beneath the surface of dogma of the average JW. Even the GB, I thought was probably good hearted. But I no longer think so. The Borg of Star Trek so appropriately allegorizes them—totally devoid of any human emotion—the preservation of the collective and absorbing more energies into the collective is its sole function. This is most starkly illustrated when they have to chose between the reputation of the org. and the welfare of a child. And again, when you see mothers (my god! Is there any stronger relationship than that between a mother and child?!) reject their children, and grandchildren because of the dictates of an organization--or because their child is no longer in the cult. How do you fight something like that? Are we making progress? Are we helping people to get out? Or just reiterating their insanely paranoid belief that they are persecuted? Are we making them be honest, or just helping a huge, megalomaniacal religious corporation get a little better at covering themselves.
    Keep fighting my brothers and sisters in arms. Maybe if there is a god (and it’s the god of justice that they always taught me about, he will help. My thoughts are always with you (the only people on earth who could possibly know where I come from). I am going to spend a little more time with Amnesty International, where you can at least touch or get a response from the harshest military regimes and governments, because they’re still a little human underneath (or at least afraid of public opinion).

Much Love and blessings,
    Bridgette

• joelbear
    joelbear

One of the most important posts on this board in quite a while.

take care

Joel

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

You've been an inspiration to many and I've personally enjoyed what you've shared with us here. I identify with alot of what you write. We all feel the same; at least I do every now and again when you tire of the whole thing and think it will never go away.

I think we all have and continue to do our part in whatever way we can to chip away at this evil and help others to carry on inspite of a less than ideal past.

I wish you the best and look forward to seeing you around here again.

Path

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

bridgette,

you will be missed!! but i understand your needing to leave. you have a heart of gold. yes, the story of laree is heartbreaking and touches my heart deep too. please come back and check in with us here at jw.com. you definately will be missed.

(((((((((bridgette))))))))))

love
    harmony

ps. enjoy this holiday season and your upcoming birth of your new baby

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies, Take away everything And make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth: And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights.~~Bob Marley

• mikepence
    mikepence

Bridgette,

Take a break. We all need one now and then. Sometimes a long one.

The ex-JW community is here to serve as a support to those who choose to leave. Will we ever win? Who knows, but we feel validated and supported by our friends when we fight their mental oppression together.

<site plug>
    Of course, if you want to keep up on exJW happenings without wading through tons of messages, just keep up with XJWNews.com or watchtower.observer.com or watchtowernews.org!
    </site plug>
    Peace and Love,
    Mike Pence

XJW User Submitted News & Views at http://xjwnews.com

• DB
    DB

Bridgette, your post is very touching. You deserve a good break, and may God bless you.

• Andee
    Andee

Bridgette,

I have always enjoyed reading your posts. I understand completely why you need this time away. Enjoy the rest of the holidays and the growing of that little one inside of you.

Take care,

Andee

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Bridgette,Everybody needs a break sometime!Enjoy your break and come back and visit us when you feel like it!..MERRY CHRISTMAS...OUTLAW

• Makena1
    Makena1

Bridgette: very well said. I wish you well during your break. I have only been posting, and lurking for a few months, so I am sure I have missed most of your previous posts. I intend to keep an eye out for them, and for what it's worth have added your name to "my list of fav posters".

Take care!
    Mak

• Mum
    Mum

B, you are awesome! Thank you for that wonderful post. Best wishes for a happy, healthy baby. I look forward to your return.

Best regards,
    Mum

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit