I have forsaken my dedication

by wobble 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I don't think you can, because they are completely fixated with territory maps, hours and doors to knock on (and literature to present).

How many years have JWs been active in the UK? Well over a century.

How many hours were spent "preaching" in the UK last year? Must be well over 500,000 hours.

If you were to ask a member of the public what JWs believe, now many would you have to ask before anyone mentioned God's Kingdom? 100? 1000? 1000,000? Despite all the hours they spend knocking on doors, all that people know is: No blood, no Christmas, and possibly no birthdays. If that is fulfilling their dedication, they are doing a pitiful job.

You don't need a map and a door to knock on to preach. You witness through your life and every encounter you make.

But they won't understand.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

The only thing that comes to my mind: tell them that as Witnesses don't baptise in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19), but instead tie someone to an organisation run as men who demand loyalty to their own ever-changing doctrines, you prefer to take some time to go back to what the bible says.

• Satanus
    Satanus

An elder told me something similar, when i missed a month or 2. He said that i had ceased being a jw during that time.

S

• excito-are
    excito-are

In the book of James he writes about what a doer of works does. In his time the Jews regarded prayer, fasting, regular attendance at worship services and feasts as a sign of true spirituality and dedication much like the witnesses today regards their meetings and service. Though James points out in Chapter 1 vrs 26 that it is not sufficient to engage in formal religious activity. Vrs 27 " The form of worship that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of God is this: to look after widows and orphans in their tribulation".

From God's veiwpoint, he sees those who look after those less fortunate as really worshipping him. It's not merely talking about God but imitating his qualities that show we know and are dedicated to God. That's the point James is making in Chapter 1, he sees worship and dedication not in terms of law, but as an expression of showing kindly acts, just as Jesus taught while on earth.

Sadly the witnesses are far removed more so than ever regarding helping all sorts of people, most struggle to show kindness amongst themselves never mind charity works or helping real neighbours.

Excito

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

According to JW belief, dedication precedes baptism. Baptism is supposed to symbolize the dedication.

If you prayed to God and dedicated yourself, how could any JW be aware of the contents of your prayer? Did you pray aloud, and did they hear you? If not, they cannot say you've "forsaken your dedication". They don't even know what your dedication was, or if there were any conditions attached. Personally, I didn't dedicate myself to the propegation of lies.

W

• yknot
    yknot

Hmmm..... technically anytime you speak about Chirst you are 'preaching' or giving a 'testimony'.

• undercover
    undercover

I was told by active Dub that I have forsaken my dedication to God because I no longer preach. I said I could not go and preach WT lies but was told that because I dont talk about what I do beleive(which actually I'm not sure of yet) I am not worshipping God and not fullfilling my Dedication.

Whats the best way to counter this drivil?

Tell 'em to shove up their a**?

Seriously...when someone stoops to such comments meant to degrade and embarrass, there is no way to counter it. They're too closed-minded.

Now, if they came to you in a spirit of wanting to help and they asked why you didn't preach, you could use that oppurtunity to open some dialog. But if someone came to me and said that, I'd tell them to mind their own business.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The problem I have is that my 'dedication' was predicated on a lie or deception.

I knew nothing of its history, failed prophecies or anything. I certainly would not have joined if I knew. I suppose if they laid the cards on the table nobody would ever join the religion. I was suckered in by the claim they were 'bible students'. I did not know it was a high control group.

Under the circumstances, what is my dedication worth?

LHG

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...........You have forsaken your dedication.....Translation:"You no longer provide free labour for a multi-billion dollar publishing company,the WBT$.".............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Satanus
    Satanus

Since you aren't sure of your beliefs, you could ask them for time to get them sorted out, a break from preaching, so to speak. As well, if you find problems w the wt doctrines, history, and conduct, the above named approach leaves the door open for you to discuss them w the jw. 'Course, doing that can lead directly to a jc, unless you are careful about how you do it.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit