So, you blew your chance to go to college because of JWs? Don't give up!

by cabasilas 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I received my Bachelors degree last year at the age of 57. It can be done.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Great to have this thread bumped up....how is everyone doing with college?

I am still taking classes.....Abnormal Psychology this summer.

It has really answered some questions as to why many become JWs!

• out4good3
    out4good3

I finished and AAS degree back in '97. Finished an additional AA just this past may and am on my way to BA from a local University. 14 classes to go . On track to graduate with a BA in December 2011.

I am going to git 'er done!!!

• rnicole76
    rnicole76

No it is not too late to go back. I am a pre-dental student in college and an active witness. I am surprise no one didn't say anything to me about it now but oh well. They are won't be getting in between me and my future dream to be a dentist. I don't care what they would do to me.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm more than halfway there with sixty-something credits. Can't afford more than one class at a time, though, so I'm looking at another 8 to 10 years before a degree is imminent.

But hey, my degree is closer than Armageddon. THAT is something I KNOW for sure.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Wow.

This post was VERY timely for me. At 42, I AM BITTER AND ANGRY.......I gave it all to 'elderhood'......and now: no education.

THANK YOU.......I'm going to get off my butt

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks for that Cabasillas. I can relate so much to your story, i also remember sitting with a career advisor at the age of 15 explaining how i wanted to pioneer and be a part time window cleaner. My teacher was encouraging me to stay on in school, but he knew deep down he was fighting a losing battle.

25 years later I'm now part way through a law degree, it's so fulfilling. I wish i'd have done it all those years back but sometimes that's not how life pans out, it's the future that we can control, not the past.

Paul

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Couldn't agree more. I just finished a Bachelor's degree this past April. Diploma finally came in the mail yesterday.

I was lucky being that I'm only 27 years old right now. While I did put off school for about six or seven years (03-09), that is nowhere near as long as some have. Regardless, if you want to do it people should know that there are options out there. Just start looking. A great thing for me was community college transfer credits. Over half of my credits came from a community college, which is drastically cheaper than the state college I attended for the final 60 credits.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks for the bump!

For those who might be interested in encouraging JWs and ex-JWs to start college, there's a new Facebook page dedicated to this:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113060008740922

The page is not exclusively ex-JW and serves to encourage both people inside and outside the Organization to reach out for higher ed.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I hear you, that was issue I had being raised as a JW. There was no option to go to college if you father was an elder, he would have been removed. I do not fault my parents they did what they thought was best for me. My job situation is good depsite the econmony but always in the back of my mind I would be "SOL" if i got laid off and tried to find another job with no college education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit