So, you blew your chance to go to college because of JWs? Don't give up!

by cabasilas 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I got the JW "bug" as a teenager. Witnesses called at our door when I was nearly 11. My parents are deaf and I was the oldest hearing child, the default interpreter for them in that era before relay services and professional interpreters. They had no interest in JWs, but it started to spark an interest in me. My parents let me obtain the magazines and books for awhile, but then they got alarmed as I got more deeply involved. By the time I was 13, I was sneaking out of the house to go door to door and I'd go over to Witnesses' homes to study. I used to ride my bicycle to Sunday meetings (and not tell my parents where I was going). Witness parents would point to me as an example for their children. Eventually, my parents relented, but they were never happy about my association with JWs other than it kept me out of trouble.

I had been a star pupil in school before this, but now my energies were directed towards the Witness religion. I told my guidance counselor in high school that I would not be pursuing college because I was planning to be a pioneer. I vividly remember her response: "You owe it to God and the Church to go to college!" I shared that at a Service Meeting and the congregation roared! In 1973, I went to Bethel. I remember reading somewhere where Bethel service was compared to a college education and I also remember that once I got there it did not feel like that at all. Bethel was all about work and theocratic politics.

I left Bethel in 1976 with an "honorable discharge" and went back to the local congregation, got married and tried to get on with life. But, I had no training for anything. So, I worked at various jobs and eventually worked in a book bindery in Arizona for many years. I woke up about JWs in 1980, but it took me a few years to get past the JW stage of my life. I started thinking about beginning college in the late 80s, but it seemed an insurmountable challenge. So, my wife (who eventually left the JWs herself later) and I settled down to raising our two children.

We eventually moved to a more rural area and I saw an advertisement in the paper that the local school district needed a sign language interpreter. I got hired because of my background (despite no official training) and started working in education as an aide to deaf and hard of hearing children. I ended up shadowing my own children in the public schools (which they hated, of course!) I always pushed my kids to excel in school and to make college part of their plans. ("Don't make the same mistake I did!" I told them.) As we helped our son with the process of applying for college and financial aid, the mystery and fear of how to start at college began to disappear for me. At the same time, a fellow interpreter in his mid 20s was also thinking about going back to college. I kept encouraging him like I had my son and he asked me, "When are YOU going to go to college?" I told him, that I was too old--I'm in my early 50s. He said, "That's no excuse. Go for it." That day it just clicked and I called the local community college and started the process.

One of the teachers at the school I worked with told me about a scholarship opportunity and I put in for it. I was startled to receive a $1000 scholarship. With that and the financial aid I received, my first year's tuition and books was basically covered. So, I began classes during the summer term of 2007. I seemed like a dream come true. I've always enjoyed reading and studying and here I was doing something I had wished I'd done years earlier. Still, it was no picnic! I struggled with Biology and Math, but I was able to keep up a good grade point average. I've stayed working full time (can't go without insurance for my family!) and took evening and weekend classes. Still, I also had to work part time on another job to make ends meet.

Early this year, I applied for the full range of scholarships available. (I had missed the window for most of these my first year because I had made my decision to start classes too late.) I received notification of two scholarships, totaling $1,750. Again, that meant that my tuition and books would be covered for this next year. Still, I began to worry about what would I do when I finish at the community college and need to transfer to a university. The costs are greater there and I may have to change my work schedule to attend some classes in the field I want to go after. I had thought all the scholarships had been awarded, but last night I got the surprise of my life. I received an email notification to find out that I had received an additional $5,000 scholarship for next year. That means that much more than my tuition and books are covered...this will help cover my living expenses too. The best part is that this scholarship is automatically renewable, which means that as long as I stay full time in school and "make satisfactory progress" in my classes, the scholarship will be renewed until I will graduate from the university. This means I can definitely quit my second job and will have less worries about finances when I transfer to the university. If I enter a graduate program afterwards, that will take more money, but that's about 3 years down the road. This will help take care of me until then.

So, even though the WT may have screwed up your teen-age years and robbed you of educational opportunities, it's not too late. Even if you're in your 50s there is support available for non-traditional students to begin their secondary education. I wasted too many years telling myself that I'd blown my chances and that it'd be foolish to try now.

Do you wish you'd gone to college? Do you think about the "what ifs"? Let go of your anger and make that call to the local community college. If you've never done any college, you'll probably start with a placement test. After that, you can meet with a counselor and find out what options you have. And there are other ways to go than just the local college. The point is, DO SOMETHING! It may sound trite, but it's true: It's never too late.

• megs
    megs

what a wonderful story! Congratulations!

• avishai
    avishai

Thank you!! I think that's exactly what I'll do after another suggestion from someone on this board

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

That is so great for you. What are you studying?

I'm 56, and have thought about doing the same thing. Money is always an issue. The other is that I am a newspaper editor, writer and photographer, and work surrounded by college grads - and I would be hard pressed to get a better job with a degree.

But you're an inspiration!

S4

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

marvellous

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thanks for the support. Right now, I'm getting the basics out of the way. I have thoughts of doing something in education with foreign language. Either teaching a language or working in an ESL program. But, I'm keeping my options open. I'm also concerned about employability issues. I realize that my age will probably impact my chances of getting a good job. So, whatever field I end up chosing I want to make sure my chances are good to get hired.

But, even if nothing comes of this (and I do have some ideas I'm pursuing), it's well been worth the ride! I'm having the time of my life doing something I really enjoy.

Perhaps there are others here who may want to share their experiences about starting college later in life for the encouragement of the board?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Great experience. And what's even better - I believe every word of it~~!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

-Aude.

• LearningMore
    LearningMore

That is a great experience Cabasilas. I started a bit earlier than you, but I waited three years after graduating high school to enroll in my local community college (I graduated early from high school as most witnesses in my area did). I was there for about 5 years while my educational goals continued to expand from vocational to academic. I ended up at a university where my tuition and books were completely paid for because I made no money and was considered an independent adult. (Yay for California public universities and financial aid!)

Anyway, I ended up getting a graduate degree. And, while in debt up to my eyeballs, I am glad I pursued education. Of course, if I had it to do all over again, I would really look into more scholarships for grad school. But, of all debt to have, student debt is the best (at least for me...low interest, flexible payment plans, etc.).

I try to encourage people to not be intimidated with the process of going to college. It seems daunting at first, but especially if you enroll at a community college, it is really not too bad. Community colleges often court older students and returnees.

I never planned on going to college. As I tell people, I was actually actively discouraged from going to college. LOL. I never took the SATs, never took college prep classes in high school, never entertained the notion. Fortunately, I didn't get married young (I'm afraid that would have sealed my fate - educationally- for years), so once I labored through some crummy jobs, I realized higher education was a good choice for me. It is a huge pet peeve of mine that JWs aren't encouraged to pursue education. It can really open your mind, but, of course, that is what the society fears.

Good luck with everything!

• excito-are
    excito-are

Great story. Never say never.

Excito

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

That's a great inspiration! I went back at age 35. Then my husband went and so glad we did. It was great example to our kids, who now appreciate how much easier it is to get it out of the way when you are young and don't have a family to support. Please please don't let money or time be a roadblock. For example my employer paid $2000 a year in tuition, which goes a long way at a local community college. I took it slow and started with weekend classes and didn't feel out of place because it was mostly adults anyway. I graduated at 41 in 2006. My husband qualified for a Pell grant which paid for about 2/3 of his education costs. When you graduate it will be one of the happiest days of your life! Keep it up!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit