Has anyone here made their own beef jerky? Can you give me tips?

by UnConfused 25 Replies latest social physical

• DocBob
    DocBob

My wife makes it a few times a year. She uses bottom round roast and slices it when it is still partially frozen. It cuts easier and thinner that way.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

synchronicity

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Yes you don't have to use a lean top quality beef to make a good chewy jerk, I prefer to use a chuck roast sliced not to thin, I have a rotary slicer to do the job.

I think its important to marinate the beef well for a day or so in the fridge, Teriyaki sauce with brown sugar with and a pinch of peppers is my favorite marinade.

After its been marinaded I put the beef in to a smoker with some hickory chips and let it smoke for 4 or 5 hours and wallah shes done.

Beef jerky that has been done in this fashion can keep in the fridge for weeks properly covered.....have fun

• Poztate
    Poztate

If you have to use a dehydrator and not a real smoker to do your beef jerky try brushing on a little liquid smoke about half way through the process.

Jerky always tastes better if you let it sit for a day after making it. I use a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge with a paper towel inside to absorb some of the remaining moisture.

I use inside round roast sliced thin. Meat with too much fat throughout will not be as tasty as it will not absorb spices properly.

Lots of recipes online...just google it and pick one that seems yummy to you.

• Micky4321
    Micky4321

I use round steak when I make it in my food dehydrator. I just pick out a steak and have someone in the meat department cut it for me. I just tell them to cut it as thin as possible. When I've tried to cut it at home I do a terrible job and get really thick pieces and then thin ones and it just doesn't work out. I've thought of getting a meat slicer but not sure how that would work out. I think round steak has the lowest fat so that's why it's good. You also want to cut off any fat that is on there because the fat goes rancid and tastes bad. We eat it all up pretty fast though.

Recipe: Marinade over night with

10oz Kikkoman Teriyaki

10oz water

1 tbs liquid smoke

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp black pepper

6 tsp catsup

red pepper seeds if desired sprinkle them on the jerky before it goes into the oven your mouth will be on fire.

I just use my dehydrator but my brother gave me this recipe and he makes it in the oven and his directions say to make on cookie sheets

Drain and rotate and dry cookie sheets while baking

Also red meat can be bad for you yes. My dad can't eat it anymore because he has high cholesterol. It also has a lot of nutrients in it. I think it depends on a persons health to begin with if they should eat red meat or not. I wouldn't eat it every day though. Most red meat is high in saturated fat which is bad for you and clogs the arteries which can lead to a heart attack. Too much of anything is bad for you really though. But I do love the beef jerky and a good burger. I just don't eat like that every day.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

My horse and saddle are available for a minimal charge per hour!

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit